Free-Motion Sewing Machine?

Join us as we discuss all things quilting.

Free-Motion Sewing Machine?

Postby andystanton on Mon May 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Hello, I would like a recommendation, please, about a not-too-expensive sewing machine that will allow me to do free-motion quilting. Does anyone have ideas? I am a newbie art quilter. Thank you very much. - Andra
andystanton

Re: Free-Motion Sewing Machine?

Postby neathery on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:08 am

You can do free motion quilting with any sewing machine that allows you to drop the feed dogs. Be aware that the gap between the needle and the machine body is the maximum space you will have to roll up your quilt when working on sections, so ensure you try to get a large throat machine if you are doing to do larger quilts. But for smaller projects, any machine with adjustable feed dogs will do.
neathery

Postby textilebliss on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 pm

I found a machine capable of doing free motion quilting without spending thousands of dollars last December on Amazon. I bought a Brother CS-6000i Computerized sewing machine for less than $150.00. It has been just great. I think it is a good value and makes sense for me until I know if I want to get more involved in machine quilting.
textilebliss

Postby AuraQuilts on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Go to HSN.com and create a new account (you get 20% off your first purchase!)
they have the Singer Confidence Quilter (model 7469). It is usually $399 but they sell it for $299 and with the 20% off it is $240 and they usually have free shipping.

It comes with the walking foot, darning(free motion)fott and extended table for large projects. It's everything you could ask for in one machine that is far far less than buying a bernina or juki!

Good luck and enjoy!!

AK
AuraQuilts

Return to Quilting