Quiltmaker’s Scrap Squad is a small select group of readers who make scrap quilts from QM patterns. We share their creations on Quilty Pleasures to inspire you to make scrappy quilts from the fabrics you already own. What could be better?
Today’s featured quilt is by Pam Snow, who splits her time between Arizona and Kentucky. Pam was recently highlighted by Arizona Quilters on their Hall of Fame page.
The original quilt was made with fabric from Quilting Treasures.
Sea Glass was just the right name for this quilt! Pam’s version is quite different. You’ll hear from Pam in her own words below.
* * * * *
When I received my assignment of Sea Glass, I was immediately drawn to a pack of 26 fat quarters I won at a shop hop in Kentucky last fall. “Emma Lena’s Treasures” from The Gallery looked promising.
I decided that I would use these “scrappy” fabrics for the 4 1/2″ blocks and not make the triangle-squares. I chose gray and black Kona solids from Robert Kaufman for the corners and the accent strip.
I auditioned all 26 fat quarters on the gray and black. I eliminated eight fabrics because there was not enough contrast with the gray.
That left me with the assortment of 18 prints shown below.
I cut the pieces I needed and found the Shape Cut Too by June Tailor to be very helpful when cutting the 1″ strips.
Below are all the cut pieces.
I followed the instructions for making the blocks using Stitch-and-Flip. I placed a piece of painter’s tape on my machine, lined up straight with the needle. This gave me a guide to follow when stitching the corner units. I prefer this method to marking a line on each square. (For another good method, see Donna’s post.)
I used a 3″ ruler from Omnigrid to trim the lower right-hand corners of each block.
I followed Quiltmaker’s instructions for inserting the black strip and trimming square.
I assembled 100 blocks and then began experimenting with placement. I knew I wanted a large block with the black lines on the diagonal.
Here are two of my experimental blocks.
I wasn’t pleased with any of these blocks—I thought they were too scrappy. I decided to use a gray 8 1/2″ square in the center of each block.
A New Quilt Design
My new quilt design required only 144 of the pieced 4 1/2″ blocks. I was glad that I had done my experimenting with only 100 blocks. Each of the large quilt blocks measures 16 1/2″ square. The quilt is three blocks wide and four blocks long for a total of 12 blocks. Each block requires 12 of the 4 1/2″ blocks and one 8 1/2″ solid gray patch. I placed a machine embroidery blackwork floral design in each square. The design is from Anita Goodesign’s Mix and Match Quilting collection, FLORAL QUILT.
I found pressing the seams open to be best for these blocks. There are many interconnecting seams, and pressing them open eliminates much of the bulk. It takes a little longer but I think you’ll find it’s worthwhile.
Here is one of the completed blocks.
And blocks sewn together.
For the inner border I cut 1 1/2″ width-of-fabric strips from black fabric. I auditioned the solid gray for the outer border but it was too dull for a scrappy quilt, so I decided to use the leftover strips from my fat quarters as the outer border.
I quilted it on my Handi Quilter Avante. I’ve only been longarm quilting for a few months but I’m learning. This quilt has a number of techniques including Pro Stitcher digitized designs and freehand quilting. A black binding finished off the quilt.
Here is my finished quilt.
I added a label, too. I named the quilt Miss Mattie’s Flower Garden, after my grandmother.
I do love the finished quilt.