The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

When we started sharing QM Bitty Blocks last January, we had no idea people would be so enamored with our free quilt block patterns. It’s been inspiring to hear about the fun you’re having with these adorable little designs.

BittyBlockLogo 300px1 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

And if time flies when you’re having fun, it’s no wonder that the end is already upon us, because we’ve had a riot!

Let’s look back.

January: Bitty Bow Tiesbittyblocks121 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

February: Bitty Baskets baskets1 e1422632444174 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

March: Home Sweet Home march14 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

April: Flying Geese Pinwheels10 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

May: Bitty Bear PawGroup The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

June: Bitty Love heartcropped The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

July: Bitty Boatsboats4 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

August: Log Cabin LGBB group The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

September: Bitty Starsbittystars7 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

October: Bitty Trees Finish2 67294 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

November: Bitty Friendship Stars

Friendship Star The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

And that brings us to December: Bitty Pinwheels! Find the step-by-step tutorial for Bitty Pinwheels.

pinwheel15 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block PatternsAnd find the printer-friendly free quilt block pattern for Bitty Pinwheels on our Bitty Blocks homepage.

photo The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block PatternsPaula Stoddard is our managing editor, which means that she keeps all the QM balls in the air. We’d be lost without her. But here’s the thing—after thinking about quilts and projects all day long, at night she goes home and sews! Her children are grown and she’s in a season that allows her to be prolific. So it’s no wonder that she’s the one who kept up with the Bitties and recently joined them all together into one big fabulous quilt.

partial1 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

Some of Paula’s fabric choices

I’d call Paula’s fabric choices bright pastels—they’re happy (like she is) but not in-your-face neon.

partial2 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

I’d call these “bright pastels.”

There is still a softness to them.

partial3 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

There are some darks to give the quilt dimension.

Notice how there are some very dark fabrics like navy blue and black. I think these help to give the quilt some dimension.

detail2 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

We love Paula’s scrappy Bitty Blocks quilt.

If you ever see a quilt that looks rather “flat,” check to see if there are some very darks or very lights. Chances are they’ll be missing!

Paula auditioned quite a few different fabrics for the sashing. Several of us offered feedback on the options when she asked us. You’ll want to decide on sashing after your blocks are made. Be sure to put them up on a design wall, or another vertical surface if you don’t have a design wall. Nothing beats this method for really evaluating how things are going to look. Use a sheet or a flannel-backed tablecloth tacked to the wall, but get those blocks up before you decide!

And now without further adieu, here is the full Bitty Blocks quilt top that Paula made this year.

fullshot1 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

The full shot of Paula’s quilt top, made entirely of Bitty Blocks.

Paula decided on plain borders for her quilt. We originally drew the row quilts with checkerboard borders but after Paula’s quilt center was finished, she felt they weren’t necessary. I would agree. In fact, they may have distracted from the action at the quilt’s center. I think she made a good decision.

You’ll have to decide for yourself if you want plain borders or checkerboard borders. Or maybe you’ll come up with something all your own!

BittyBlockLogo 300px1 The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns
We have kicked around the idea of doing more Bitty Blocks in 2016. I’m inviting your feedback. Would you like Quiltmaker to keep going with #qmbittyblocks? Please let us know in the comments. And if your quilting friends haven’t heard about Bitty Blocks, please help us spread the word. The patterns are all free on our Bitty Blocks homepage.

Thank you for joining us on this project. It’s been great fun!

Coming soon: More about the checkerboard borders and some quilting ideas!

I'm an editor for Quiltmaker magazine in Golden, Colorado, USA. For six years, I wrote pattern instructions, product reviews and how-to articles. Then I spent four years as QM's Interactive Editor, working to generate much of our online content. Now I'm back to patterns and how-tos, which is a great fit for me. I still love writing about quilt-related topics for Quilty Pleasures, and I always have my finger on the pulse of the quilting world. I teach a variety of quilt classes and give guild programs, too. Reach me by email: editor@quiltmaker.com.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Scrapbag and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to The Bitty Blocks of 2015: Free Quilt Block Patterns

1. Kate Koeze says:

Had a blast with the 2015 Bitty Blocks and I just finished my quilt.

2. Myintzu says:

I found your website through pinterest. Really love Bitty Blocks. I would definitely join in on Bitty Blocks 2016 if continue :) )

3. Myintzu says:

I found your website through pinterest. Really love Bitty Blocks, I would definitely join in on Bitty Blocks 2016 if continue :) )

4. Linda Ferguson says:

Yes- please continue the Bitty blocks. I can’t understand why I wasn’t making them last year, so this is a good year to start.

5. I have enjoyed this year long project, along with my sister and we have just finished putting this quilt together with the inner border. We are considering the final border options. I have posted a picture on my blog (berylthepearl.blogspot.com). Is there is a site where other finished quilts can be viewed? Would love to see them! Thanks for a fun project and I’ll be watching for the 2016 bitty blocks!

6. Debbie says:

Yes please continue the Bitty blocks. They are so much fun

7. I love the Bitty Blocks! Yes to MORE!

8. Ruby says:

The following statement was on the last post December 27 regarding the 2015 Bitty Blocks -The checkerboard patches shown in the original row quilt drawings are cut 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ to finish at 1″ x 1″. The inside border is 1″ wide (cut 1-1/2″ wide), so you’ll need to figure out how many checkerboard patches there are based on how many rows you made and what sizes they are. I’ll talk more about this next week to help you!
    The last post also states – Coming soon: More about the checkerboard borders and some quilting ideas! It has been over a month and no updates. Have I missed something?

9. Cheryl Avery says:

I loved doing the Bitty blocks in 2015 and would love to do it again in 2016.

10. Lori says:

More bitty blocks in 2016!

11. Phyllis says:

Bitty Blocks have been a boon to those of us who are enamored with small quilt making. I hope they’ll continue.

12. Sherry Yeakel says:

Please continue the Bitty Blocks! I’ve enjoyed them so much and loved the new one being released every month!!!!!!

13. Deree Brand says:

In 2015 I started the 3″ block “houses” that got their start in the Netherlands a few years ago. I got bored with just houses so I started to add other favorite blocks. My daughter showed me your wonderful Bitty blocks and now they are being added, too. Please think about adding new blocks because it goes along with the slowing down phenomenon. I can sit down for 20 minutes and create a whole block! Thank you, Deree

14. Mary says:

I have had so much fun doing the bitty blocks this year ( it made the months fly by!!). I have yet to make 150 flying geese blocks but…it is on the “to do” list before the end of January (2016!!). I would be happy to continue with Bitty Blocks in 2016. I would like to play around with different settings for the blocks rather that continuing with rows. But the rows were very fun to do. Thanks for offering this opportunity!

15. Marianne says:

Yes, continue the bitty blocks in 2016.

16. Elizabeth frankow-Reid says:

The Bitty blocks are great..please post more this year. They are a great way to use up all the scraps from other projects.

17. Janette says:

I love your quilt! Please continue bitty blocks!

18. Barbara H. says:

Please continue. Haven’t made them yet. Trying to finish up some other ufo’s.

19. Regina Harris says:

I would enjoy having Bitty Blocks continued for 2016. The patterns are very versatile and can be used for other projects such as mug mats, apron pockets, etc. thanks for providing all of the blocks for those of us you were not aware of this until mid-year.

20. Deborah says:

I only started reading about the bitty blocks a couple of months ago and, to be honest, I have not made any yet. However, I really like the idea of a small block that is rather easy to complete so I can feel like I have accomplished something. So, that said, I would love to see you continue the bitty blocks again this year.

21. LaJuan Ihrig says:

I truly enjoyed the bitty blocks and just finished my quilt, still to be quilted but top done. I loved it. It was a great way to use leftover scraps, of which I have an abundance and would love another project to continue using them. Thank you for allowing us to use your patterns.

22. Carol Johnson says:

Loved the bitty blocks. I want to make charity lap quilts using scraps, and these would be so much fun, and so cheery for the patients at the Cancer Agency that takes my quilts for their patients. I’ve finally started with some of the blocks from last year – why didn’t I think of it sooner?

Thank you for reducing the math load in designing fun row quilts!

23. Please continue the Bitty Blocks. I am starting to put my rows together and agree that the checkerboard border is not necessary. Thanks for a year of fun.

24. Pingback: Blog Readers Share | abyquilts

25. Melva Nolan says:

I enjoyed them, and could probably be coerced into doing it again.

26. Carol B. says:

PLEASE continue the bitty blocks. It’s such fun on the first Monday to see the latest pattern and start pulling the fabrics for them. Hopefully another year will make some kind of dent in the scrap stash!
    Thanks for last year’s fun!!!

27. Johanna Lovering says:

Love the finished quilt. Could you give us the width of the blue sashing strips? Also I would like to know the width of the plain border. Thank you

28. Denise says:

Love the Bitty Blocks. Would love to see them continue through
    2016.

29. barbara miller says:

One complaint —why repeat the pinwheel in Dec.? Different method, but still is a pinwheel. Otherwise, have loved bitty blocks

30. Rosanne Jewer says:

Please continue the Bitty Blocks. I haven’t had much sewing time this past year, but I have downloaded all the instructions.

31. Candyminton@charter.net says:

I found out about the bitty blocks in August. Too late for me last year to jump on the wagon, but would love to do it this year! Please keep them coming!

32. T. Johnson says:

Nice, Nice, Nice, Dittos—-keep em coming 2016

33. Ann says:

Please continue with the Bitty Blocks, It gives me something to look forward to each month and keeps me wanting to sew. I have just about finished all the blocks ready to put them all together. Any leftover blocks will me made into table mats.

34. Mary says:

Please continue the Bitty Blockc in 2016.

35. Diane G Neal says:

Would love 2016 Bitty Blocks!

36. Susan says:

I love the bitty blocks!

37. Deborah says:

I only just found out about them today! But I think they are awesome and would like to see more in 2016. Thanks so much!

38. melissa latter says:

I am new to Bitty Blocks. But I truly love making tiny blocks. Please continue for 2016. I for one will one happy girl to have the opportunity to follow you.
    Melissa

39. Danielle says:

I found those mini-block project only in November and since , I am completly nut about them. Please don’t stop. It is so cheerfull and fun. I am just waiting for more in 2016.

40. Carole Kersh says:

I really enjoyed the bitty blocks, They just make you smile. Thank you.

41. Sherill V says:

These have been great FUN! Please continue.

42. Diane says:

I had a blast with the bitty blocks this year. I’d definitely do more of them.

43. Lynne says:

I would love to see them continue in 2016. I didn’t discover them till mid-to-late 2015. You can never have too many WIPs (work-in-progress), right? ;-)

44. Mary Ellen Tardiff says:

I love the bitty blocks – and this quilt is wonderful !!!! I’d vote to keep doing bitty blocks and just maybe I’ll make some and end up with a quilt like this next year. Would be really neat to do so. You could figure out how many blocks of each we would need to do to make a quilt like this – but then again, if they’re all 3 inches it should work out to the same amount of blocks in each row. Just my thoughts and thanks!!

45. Diane Paul says:

I’ve been very busy this year and only made one or two but I’ve downloaded all the instructions and will definitely make this one of my projects for next year. I’m in the process of moving but planning for new quilts keeps me sane and maybe I’ll combine blocks from both years into my quilt if you continue them.

46. Ellie says:

I’d love to see the bitty blocks continue! They are so cute and great to use in small projects or as fillers in scrappy quilts. I hope you decide to continue next year. I love the quilts you have made with them!

47. Bridget says:

Love these quilts – so creative!

Here’s a link to another fun scrappy string quilt – https://www.etsy.com/listing/261750674/quilt-scrappy-string-quilt?ref=shop_home_active_3

48. Bridget says:

Love these quilts! So creative!

49. VERA WOLF says:

Love the little blocks and would love to see them continue.

50. Angela H says:

Loved the bitty blocks this year and would love to see them continue!!
    They were perfect for using up all those scraps.

51. Ellen says:

Yes. The Bitty Blocks are great fun and a monthly achievable goal.

52. I love this quilt and plan to make one next year, so I’d be delighted with more :)

53. Cynthia says:

I have loved the Bitty blocks this year. I’m a little behind but I will continue working on tbem. Thanks for all the hard work that went into creating this for us.