QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

I know you’re excited to see the next QM Bitty Block, and I’m excited to show you! These adorable small quilt blocks are freebies for quilters presented each month on Quilty Pleasures. They are so much fun.

BittyBlockLogo 300px QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home
Today I have a new quilt block for you, but we also decided we wanted to tell you more about the row quilts these blocks can become. Please read the related post so you don’t miss any of the important information.

marchpre1 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

March’s QM Bitty Block is a cute little 3″ house.

March’s QM Bitty Block is a little 3″ house block I’ve dubbed Home Sweet Home. It is so cute! I dreamed up the block one evening and shot the measurements to Paula in a text. Before the next morning, she had made a whole boatload of colorful house blocks!

march14 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Paula’s little houses

This block is easy like the Bow Ties were. We wanted to give you a break after the sweet but somewhat labor-intensive Bitty Baskets. You’ll enjoy the houses—they’re quick and easy.

Printer-friendly pdf for Home Sweet Home house quilt block.

march4 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Six patches are needed for each house quilt block.

For one house block, you’ll need:

Background (white):
2 squares 2″ x 2″
2 rectangles 1″ x 2″

House (red):
1 rectangle
2″ x 2-1/2″

Roof (teal):
1 rectangle
2″ x 3-1/2″

I started by cutting several 2″-wide strips from light fabrics for the backgrounds and medium to dark fabrics for the houses. Then I subcut all of the patches from these 2″ strips.

march15 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet HomeHere’s a little trick that Paula discovered. If you cut 6″ segments from the 2″ strips, you can get the four background patches, or one house patch and one roof patch, from every 2″ x 6″ segment. Handy to know if you’re using scraps!

march4 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Six patches are needed for each house quilt block.

Select the patches for one house block. You can make all four background patches the same, or you can mix them up.

Use Stitch & Flip to create the roof section. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each 2″ x 2″ background patch. Align the background patch on one end of the roof patch, right sides together. Sew on the marked line.

march5 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Sew on the diagonal line.

Trim the seam allowance to 1/4″ as shown below.

march6 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Trim the seam allowance to 1/4″.

Flip the background patch open and press.

march7 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Flip the background patch open and press.

Repeat with the other 2″ x 2″ background patch on the other end.

march8 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Repeat for the other end of the roof.

This completes the roof section.

march9 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

You’ve just made a roof!

Sew the small background rectangles to each side of the house patch as shown below. This completes the house section.

march10 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Sew the background rectangles to each side of the house patch as shown.

Join the roof section and the house section to complete the house block. Its unfinished size is 3-1/2″ x 3-1/2″ for a finished size of 3″ x 3″.

marchpre1 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Completed house quilt block is 3.5″ x 3.5″ unfinished, to finish at 3″ square.

Wasn’t that fun?!

march12 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

It’s easy to make them quickly.

It’s easy to make them quickly, and it’s easy to get carried away.

march13 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Six of my little Bitty Houses.

Just ask Paula!

march16 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

Paula has many, many Bitty Blocks hanging in her office.

I used the smudge tool so as not to give away the upcoming Bitty Blocks. We want to surprise you!

Here’s a printer-friendly pdf for the Home Sweet Home house quilt block.

DPQM10914 231x300 QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

This Home Sweet Home Bitty Block had us recalling a past issue of Quiltmaker. We thought back, way back, to the September/October issue last year. This issue focused on house blocks and house quilts. The cover alone is too cute for words. We couldn’t help but flip through and find our favorites. Perhaps you should get a digital copy and do the same!

• Please see my separate post which tells about the various sizes of row quilts you can make with your #qmbittyblocks.

• Please help us spread the word by Pinning any of the images in this post. We’d appreciate any sharing you’d like to do by using the social media icons below this post. Use the hashtag #qmbittyblocks.

• Please email us photos of your own Bitty Blocks! Use editor@quiltmaker.com.

I'm an editor for Quiltmaker magazine in Golden, Colorado, USA. For six years, I wrote pattern instructions, product reviews and how-to articles. Then I spent four years as QM's Interactive Editor, working to generate much of our online content. Now I'm back to patterns and how-tos, which is a great fit for me. I still love writing about quilt-related topics for Quilty Pleasures, and I always have my finger on the pulse of the quilting world. I teach a variety of quilt classes and give guild programs, too. Reach me by email: editor@quiltmaker.com.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Scrapbag and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to QM Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home

1. I cannot thank you enough for the post.Really looking forward to reading more. Want more.

2. Nice reading. Great site!

3. Jess Bladt says:

House Lawyers… [...]just below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, however, they are definitely worth checking out[...]…

4. Be focused and stick to point are the key factors of writing. This article does with full retention.

5. Pingback: Minibloques de casas con pachtwork - MujerTrend

6. Pingback: Minibloques de casas

7. Carol says:

So, I’m I little behind….just now getting to this post! oops!
    The heat is extreme in these parts breaking records has become the norm.
    These adorable little bitty house blocks are the perfect ‘excuse’ to stay inside in the cool!!!! I know what I will be working on all weekend! :) Thanks for sharing , they are precious!!!!!! :)

8. Polly says:

I thought I’d signed up to get a notice when the new blocks go up but haven’t received anything. Is that working?

9. Barbara Niekerk says:

I echo the frustration of previous comments…it isn’t easy to find the bitty blocks and twice I tried to find April’s block and have been unable to. Excited to start, and continue to be interested to continue as I think this could be fun…but also frustrated with the timing of the release of each one on the first Monday of the month. HELP! Please…

10. Karen K. Miller says:

I have searched and searched for Aprils Bitty Block and can not find it.

karen

• Carolyn says:

April’s Bitty Block will be on Quilty Pleasures Monday April 5th. Patterns for new blocks are on the blog the first Monday of every month.

• Jeanette says:

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing!!! Can’t wait! Such a fun project!!!

• Barbara Niekerk says:

MMMMmmm, I noticed that your reply was posted at 7:02 am and mine was listed at 7:07, but it is 10:07 on the East Coast. What time would you normally post the new itty bitty block (your time), we on the East Coast could then add 3 hours and find it posted!!! WIN! WIN!

11. Carol says:

having soooo much fun with the bitty blocks – where is April? Is there an easier way to find the bitty blocks than to scroll through the months?

12. Mary says:

Patiently waiting for April’s block. I really love the first three! Thank you for sharing.

13. Norma says:

I cannot find the Itty Block for the month of April. How do I find it? Do we get a new email or is it somewhere on the site?
    I am so excited to participate in this monthly fun. I have not been sewing for quite a while and am following this forum to get back into quilting. I love the little blocks. They are so much fun and it gives me a an opportunity to go through my stash. I am totally doing a scrap quilt.

14. Ruth Lackey says:

I’m having so much fun with this. Can’t wait for the next bitty block!

15. Amber says:

I did it! 20 bowties 15 flowerpots 20 bitty houses 4 rounds of chemo and ready for April!

16. Allison says:

Very cute!

17. Barbara Stewart says:

These blocks are addictive! I have way more than a row for all of them….so I will probably make two quilts. Every time I want to get away, I go to my room and sew…sew…sew.. bitty blocks. Can’t wait to see next month. I am using scraps from feed sacks that belonged to my grandmother, and I can not wait to see it all put together.

18. Jamie says:

Oh thank goodness these are going to be quick! I finally finished the baskets today. We’ve had so many snow days my daughter has missed preschool and I have missed my sewing time. It’s good to be caught up. These are so cute I can’t wait to get started!

19. Pingback: Quiltmaker Bitty Blocks – March | abyquilts

20. These are amazingly addictive! I started sewing the house blocks tonight, and I’ve already done four. So cute, fast, and fun. Have a super day!

21. Glenna Denman says:

Love these bitty blocks! I’ve told my Small Quilts Bee about them so we can all go to your blog and make them!

22. Fonda says:

The little blocks are just what I have been looking for. Love them

23. tubakk says:

I love these blocks, and think I’m addicted already. Now on to cut the parts for sweet houses. Thank you so much.

24. Debby E says:

Yaaayyy! Thanks for the PDF ;)

25. Jean HS says:

Having a great time with these blocks – doing them in red and white – how many house blocks should we make??

26. Joy Holmes says:

I love the house block. I am having so much fun making the tiny blocks .I made 18 baskets and 32 bowtie –How many of the house block should I make Thank You for this project love it. Joy H — ohio

27. Sydney says:

I’m having trouble downloading both pdf files. It’s been over 30 minutes for one and over ten minutes for the other. Any solution to try?

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Sydney, I wonder if you’d close your browser and try again, or wait and try again at a time when others are not so active online, if those things would help. I don’t think it’s on our end, as the files download for me in about five seconds. If you’re not able to get them, please email us using editor@quiltmaker.com and we’ll go from there. Thank you!

28. Gloria P. says:

Love the little houses … will be a bit quicker than last months . Can’t wait to get started!

29. Anne Wiens says:

I just stitched up a mess of bows and baskets yesterday. Not nearly as many as Paula, mind you. I stopped at six baskets and eight bows. If I make my houses a little larger, with 2″ x 4″ flying geese (a 4″ finished house), I’ll have more little scrap triangles to make more baskets.

30. Nancy says:

So cute ! would make a perfect small hanging for a housewarming gift for someone who has everything !!

31. Karlene says:

Very cute block!

32. Dana Gaffney says:

These are so cute! Pinned.