QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

#qmbittyblocks

Hi, my name is Paula, and I’m obsessed with Bitty Blocks.

Oh my GOSH. Have you heard? QM has embarked on a Bitty Block adventure and I, for one, am ridiculously obsessed. We are so excited about this new free quilt blocks project!

BittyBlockLogo 506px1 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

In case you haven’t heard, here’s how it will work. On the first Monday of each month during 2015, we’ll present you with a Bitty Block. Most will be 3″ or 4″ square and all will be easy to make. They’ll be hashtagged as #qmbittyblocks. You can read more about it here.

baskets1 e1422632444174 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

QM Bitty Blocks: Free quilt block patterns monthly during 2015

Now let’s get to our second QM Bitty Block. February’s block is a little 4″ Basket. (Printer-friendly version here.)

basket3 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

bitty basket

For one basket you will need:

Background fabric: (4) 1-7/8″ squares, (1) 2-7/8″ square and (2) rectangles 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″  (light gray dot)
Basket fabric #1: (3) 1-7/8″ squares (teal)

Basket fabric #2: (1) 1-7/8″ square and (1) 2-7/8″ square  (red)

basket41 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Each basket uses these patches.

Pair 3 gray squares with the teal squares, and the red square with the remaining gray square.

basket5 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Pair the squares.

Referring to the photos at the end of this post for our basic Triangle-Squares Technique, make 6 teal triangle-squares. Make 2 red triangle-squares.

basket6 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Make the small triangle-squares.

Now, cut the large gray square and the large red square in half diagonally to make the basket base.* Sew one of each color triangle together. (Save the leftover triangles for other blocks).

*If you prefer, you can use the Basic Triangle-Squares Technique for this pair as well.

basket7 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Make the large triangle square for the basket base.

Lay out the triangle squares and the 2 gray rectangles to form the basket.

basket8 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Lay out the parts of the basket.

Sew the top 3 teal triangle-squares together, the next row of 2 teal triangle-squares and 1 red triangle square together, and sew the bottom teal and bottom red triangle-squares together.

Here’s a tip: Press the seam allowances of each row going opposite directions so that when you sew the rows together, the seams will nest with each other. Here, I flipped over the rows so that you can see how I press the seam allowances in opposite directions.

baskets9 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Press the seam allowances going opposite directions.

Sew the triangle-squares and rectangles together to make the top half and the bottom half of the block.

baskets10 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Sew the block parts together.

basket11 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Here again, I flipped over the block parts so you can see the seams pressed opposite directions. There are so many little seams in the this block, nesting them really helps to keep the block flat and smooth.

baskets11 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Seams pressed opposite directions.

Finish sewing the block together! Woohoo!

basket3 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

bitty basket

For that last final seam, I found it best to press the seam open.

baskets12 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

I pressed the final seam open.

So, did I mention I am obsessed? OBSESSED. Every day I can hardly wait to bolt to my sewing room to make these silly little blocks. I keep adding scraps and fabric to my Bitty Block stash. I probably have enough stash now to make oh, about a million Bitty Blocks.

For a throw size quilt, make around 14–18 Basket blocks. Soon we will be sharing a few different layouts so you can decide how big you want your quilt to be and how many blocks you will need for the rows.

fabric pile QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

bitty block fabric stash

And I’m saving every little square and rectangle since they can all be re-used in other blocks. (In case you haven’t caught on, I’m obsessed.)

tote QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

scraps

I’m pretty sure my husband is starting to think I’m crazy. These bring me so much joy and make me laugh out loud. I’ve even hung them up at work so I can look at them every day.

hangingbaskets QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Printer-friendly version of February’s Basket Block here.

I can’t wait for you to see what’s next!! I’m working about 3 months ahead (these Bitty Blocks are hanging on the other side of my bulletin board!), and it’s killing me to not spill the beans and show you what’s coming. What fun!

Please help us spread the word about #qmbittyblocks. Use the hashtag, share this post on social media and tell your friends. Maybe your small group would like to make Bitty Blocks together. Whatever you do, we’d love to hear about it: editor@quiltmaker.com.

March’s Bitty Block goes up Monday, March 2. Ready, set, sew!

BittyBlockLogo 506px1 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Basic Triangle-Squares Technique:

With right sides together and the lighter fabric on top, pair one square of each color that makes the unit. On the lighter patch, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Stitch 1/4″ out from both sides of the line. Cut apart on the marked line.

hst42 150x150 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets  hst2 150x150 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

Open out the patches and press the units. Trim off the little dog-ear triangles. A pair of squares will yield 2 units. These units will finish at the correct size for each pattern. No trimming is needed.

hst3 QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

About Paula

I'm an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker in Golden, CO. I've been quilting for 18 years, including teaching, long arm quilting, designing, and stash building. I also love to read, run, stitch, play with my boston terrier and spend time with my family.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Scrapbag and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to QM Bitty Blocks: Bitty Baskets

1. Mary says:

Thank you for these bitty block patterns, they are so cute. I have been copying them to make at a later date. I have some questions about the basket. I would like to use half square triangles that are left from other projects. Would you please let me know the correct measurement for the small half square triangle units. Thank you so much!
    Mary in PA

2. Pingback: QM Bitty Blocks QAL | Quilt Block of the Month

3. Joy H. says:

Hi,When will april ‘s block be posted

4. CaHa says:

I have been able to download January and March bitty block patterns, but every time I try to download the basket block I get absolutely nothing. I have approached the download from every angle I can think of, but I still get a blank page. Can you help?

5. gail meis says:

I have enjoyed the Jan and Feb bitty blocks. Can’t find the pattern/design for March. Am I missing something?

• Gay Reeder says:

I can’t find the March Bitty Block either. Please help.

• Tammy says:

I went to the Archives section on the right-hand side of the page and clicked on March. I then scrolled down to the heading that said Bitty Blocks: Home Sweet Home. I think this would be the best way to find them from now on, as I have had trouble the past few months finding the patterns also.

6. Ecarp says:

Thanks to Patty for asking about the finish size. Comes in handy for me. Thanks for the information. Anything to make life easier is always good. Have cut material for Jan and should start sewing today. Waiting to see what’s in store for March. Hoorah!

7. Becky says:

I’ve looked everywhere for the layout suggestions. Maybe it hasn’t been posted yet?

8. Pingback: Korgar / Baskets | Rutigt – G Adrian

9. pattiemelt says:

Love the Bitty Block. But your link at the top of the page that says “You can read more about it here” takes me to this page which appears to have nothing to do with Bitty Blocks: http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quiltypleasures/2013/10/httpwww-handiquilter-commachinehq18_avante/

10. Pingback: Quiltmaker Bitty Blocks – February | abyquilts

11. Peg Koziel says:

Have tried twice to download instructions from this website and all I get are pictures. The text is so light that its impossible to read. Not very user friendly.

• Paula says:

Hi Peg, I’m sorry you’re having trouble getting the download. I just tried it, and it looked fine to me, so I’m not sure what’s up. If you will email me at paula.stoddard@fwcommunity I will be happy to email you the pdf and see if that works.

12. Pingback: QM Bitty Baskets: You Have Options | Quilty Pleasures Blog

13. Nann says:

Wow! I’ve made this block and its cousin (Cake Stand) often — but not until I saw this layout did I realize I could make the corner unit an HST instead of sewing triangles onto the rectangles. (Does that make sense? It does to me!) Thanks for the inspiration.

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Nann, yes that makes perfect sense. I’ve been playing around with options for the Bitty Baskets, and one of them requires sewing the triangles to the rectangles. Having this much fun should be illegal!

14. Lorie says:

I have made 8 of the 16 Bow Tie Blocks & they are just too cute! I am not usually a fan of teny tiny blocks, but these went together very well. I only pray the basket block will be the same? Frankly all those small HST frighten me…we will see…#qmbittyblocks.

15. Susie says:

I made the bow-tie blocks. Easy/peasy. Now these are a bit more challenging for me as they are so teeny! I’m stealing time in between my regular quilting to complete these. I”m continuing on this journey in hopes it sharpens my skills! Thanks for this project

16. Patti says:

I guess I’m a little slow. Can you give finished sizes for hst’s. I’ m thinking 1-1/2 finished for basket and 2-1/2 for the base?

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Patti, thanks for your question. The finished sizes for the small triangles is 1″ (1.5″ unfinished). For the larger triangles that form the basket base, the finished size is 2″ (2.5″ unfinished). I hope this helps.

• Patti says:

Thank you so much. We all make our blocks so differently that it helps to have finished sizes. For me, anyway. This has been so fun. Thanks for hosting.

17. Tee says:

Thank you for posting these! I stumbled across this blog from pinterest the other day and just finished cutting out the January block. I have a lot scraps of varying colors and opted for a color progression from yellows , greens, aquas and deep blues for the bow tie blocks. I’ve been looking for something to practice and to use up the scraps I have. These Bitty Blocks are perfect for that and give me a good challenge on how well I line up my stitch lines :-) .

18. Stitchsoup says:

I use a product from Dritz called “Thermal Thimbles”. They protect your fingers from the heat of the iron.

19. Ramona says:

I cannot find the PDFs for the bitty basket. I don’t own a printer so the printing option won’t work for me and I have an iPad not a computer so need a PDFs to save it. thanks, loved making the bow ties!

20. Pingback: Quilt maker BOM just downloaded Feb block

21. Diane Harris says:

Hey everyone, we’ve fixed the pdf link now. Please try again.

Diane from Quiltmaker

22. Kathy Henk says:

I made 16 of the Bow Tie bitty blocks and have one pretty little February block done. If they are all going to go together at the end, shouldn’t them come out to be the same size? Or have I done them wrong?

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Kathy,
      The January blocks were 3″ and the February blocks are 4″. Next week we’ll be giving layouts for several different sizes of quilts, and then you can decide which quilt size you prefer, and make and join your blocks accordingly. I’ll write a blog post about coping strategies to make blocks fit, too. As you sew, it will help to be sure your blocks are 3.5″ and 4.5″ unfinished. Happy quilting!

• Kathy H says:

Thanks, I’ll watch for your instructions.

• Jo Ann Jeffries says:

I have looked for the layout, without success. Though I do know weather may be an issue. Is it out there and I am missing it? Trying to finish up my sweet baskets before Monday’s new block!

23. Kaye M. says:

I had fun making my bitty Jan. blocks and was anxiously waiting to see what would be our Febr. block. I love basket blocks but I’ve never made one this little! Paula, yours’ look so cute hanging on the clothes line, I can see why they make you smile!

24. Laurie says:

Wow! I am a new quilter, so this pattern is completely new to me. I can’t wait!
    Tell me quilters, how do you iron things so small without burning your fingers on the steam of your iron? Do you have special irons?
    Thanks QM! Great fun!!

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Laurie, this is Diane with QM. I find that it helps to turn off the steam when I’m pressing very small patches. After that first non-steam press, you can scatter three or four blocks on your ironing surface and steam them nice and flat. I hope this helps!

I do have several small irons, like the Clover mini iron, but I find them tricky to use without burning myself, so I stick with the big iron and the method above.

• Diane Burns says:

Love my mini-iron! They’re well worth the small investment – I got mine at Jo-Ann’s and used a 40% off coupon.

25. Terri says:

Give us a button to put on our blogs… I don’t understand the hashtag culture, but I know blogging. (I don’t even have a dumb phone let alone a smart one.) And if you really want this to be popular with the quilting public have a linky party to show off the month’s makings. (That’s how the bloggers celebrate with each other on the quilt alongs.) Some give prizes each month, or at the end… Winners are randomly chosen, of course.
    Come by my blog… see the buttons on the right side panel… try them out to be transported to that QAL. I’ve had quite a bunch of ladies say they are interested in my Itty Bitty blox. I think your QAL would be more popular with the bloggers. Those smart phone peeps have time for their phones only.
    If this is a row along won’t we need setting triangles for these baskets?
    Hugs

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Terri,
      Thanks for your suggestions. There are many things to consider when planning a project like this and we appreciate your enthusiasm.

Next week we’ll show layouts for this quilt in several sizes. The baskets won’t need setting triangles if you follow our quilt design, but you could always add them if you prefer. In that case, you’ll need fewer baskets.

We’re promoting Bitty Blocks on our social media channels. If you like the project, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends. Thanks! #qmbittyblocks

26. edyB says:

It’s like chips ~ you can’t stop at just one! Making the mini Bow Tie Block was so much fun … I stitched up 21 and may do more. Now I’m ready to start the February blocks.
    I belong to a Bitty Block Group on Flicker and love making tiny treasures.
    Thanks for the FUN….

27. KimR says:

I am loving these blocks! So glad we didn’t lose power before the next block posted! LOL However, the printer friendly version is definitely being UNfriendly right now! ;) It just kind of hangs in the loading button and never actually loads. I love your blocks hanging on the clotheslines-so cute!

28. So adorable… I will have to try some for sure!
    LOVE the photo of all the blocks hanging on the string!

29. Paula says:

Hi Goldie, Thanks for the heads up. It should be fixed now. Sorry about that! Paula

30. tubakk says:

Thank you so much. I had so much fun with the January blocks, and will go on right away with one of these cuties.

31. Goldie says:

Aw, the bitty block for February is adorable – but, the printer-friendly link is returning an error message. :(