Quiltmaker’s New Year’s Mystery Quilt: Part 1

Happy New Year!

And welcome to

Quiltmaker’s New Year’s Mystery Quilt

NewYearsMystery 300 Quiltmakers New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 1

If you haven’t already, please see our introductory post with yardage and color ideas. We’ve named this quilt Auld Lang Stitches (clever title courtesy of Creative Editor Paula Stoddard).

Today we begin with Part 1. We’ve sprinkled the cutting into several of the early steps, to make the whole process more fun. For a printable PDF of Part 1, click here.

Cutting:

White Tone-on-Tone
144 squares (A) 2 3/8″ x 2 3/8″
Blue Tone-on-Tone
144 squares (A) 2 3/8″ x 2 3/8″
96 squares (B) 2″ x 2″

Sewing:

• Refer to the “Triangle-Squares” technique.* Pair the white A’s and blue A’s to make 288 unit 1’s. Be sure each unit 1 measures 2″ x 2″.

Unit1 Quiltmakers New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 1

• Sew a blue B to a unit 1 as shown to make a unit 2. Make 96 unit 2’s. Be sure each unit 2 measures 2″ x 3 1/2″.

Unit2 Quiltmakers New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 1

*     *     *     *     *

*Triangle-Squares Technique

Quiltmakers New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 1

With the right sides together and the lighter fabric on top, pair one square of each color that makes the unit. On the lighter patch, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Stitch 1/4″ out from both sides of the line. Cut apart on the marked line. With the darker fabric up, open out the top patch and press the unit. A pair of squares will yield 2 units.

*     *     *     *     *

I really hope you’ll have a good time making Auld Lang Stitches! I’m making a scrappy version using red-violets and yellow-greens, plus black prints in place of the white.

dianesmysteryfabrics Quiltmakers New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 1

These are the fabrics I’ll be using for my version of Auld Lang Stitches.

You’re invited to post photos of your progress on our Facebook page, or email them to us using editor@quiltmaker.com. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!

I'm an editor for Quiltmaker magazine in Golden, Colorado, USA. For six years, I wrote pattern instructions, product reviews and how-to articles. Then I spent four years as QM's Interactive Editor, working to generate much of our online content. Now I'm back to patterns and how-tos, which is a great fit for me. I still love writing about quilt-related topics for Quilty Pleasures, and I always have my finger on the pulse of the quilting world. I teach a variety of quilt classes and give guild programs, too. Reach me by email: editor@quiltmaker.com.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Quilty Lifestyle and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Quiltmaker’s New Year’s Mystery Quilt: Part 1

1. Beverly Brower says:

Part 1 done! I’m really working on this project as I want, and I’m enjoying the process. I’m not stressing over keeping up with everyone else’s schedule.
    I’m using purples and I can’t wait to see the finished quilt.

2. Pingback: New Year’s Mystery: Part 5 | Quilty Pleasures Blog

3. Terry says:

Is part 2 posted yet? Did I miss it? Will they be posted every Thursday, or ??
    Thanks for the info.

4. EllenB says:

Is it possible to put finished unit measurements in the PDF files? The blog instructions indicate that the units should be 3 1/2″ x 2″, but these measurements are not in the PDF instructions of part 1.

5. Pingback: Friday Finds–1/9/2015 | QuiltMouse

6. Tamara Bain says:

I, too, am excited about making this quilt ‘blind’. This is a first for me. I’m also hoping there aren’t any (many) more hst – that was one pile to sew and square up. I made mine 8 at a time using a 5″ square of each fabric, sewing 1/4″ on either side of both diagonals. Then before cutting between the stitching you cut the square in four. I’m ready for tomorrow!

7. Mary Zeitz says:

Please help … Where are the follow-up steps to the New Year’s Mystery Quilt located? I’ve finished Part 1, but cannot find Part 2 :-( Thanks in advance.

8. Carolyn says:

The question about yardage has been answered several times. Yes, it is correct for a large twin including the binding.

9. CathyCinWA says:

According to the email that was sent ahead of the mystery quilt instructions, there will be weekly clues thru Feb 19. Happy Mystery Quilting!!

• Eva says:

Thank you for the answer to the dates of clues. I didn’t get the email ahead of time, just found this myself so it’s nice to know.

10. Erika from AZ says:

So excited! I’ve never done this before. Excited to hear that it’s every Thursday, thought it was going to be a lot more spread out than that. I like that there are pieces coming every week! Eeeek! All HST are made and going to sew on the squares now. I’m going Black/Yellow & White, Bruins Hockey! Hopefully gonna embroider some logos on somewhere at the end for him. Hopefully the pattern isn’t too girly. Yay!

11. Anne Vaughan says:

Will there be a PDF file for the mystery that we can download or print after the mystery is done? I would prefer one of each page while we are doing the mystery, but a whole file would be nice, too. Thanks, Anne in AZ

12. Eva says:

There have been several questions about the amount of fabric. Would someone PLEASE confirm if it’s correct.

Thanks!

13. Nina says:

I still need confirmation of the yardage. the backing is twice the size of the finished quilt, that does not make sense, does it?
    I hope I will get an answer soon, before buying the stash.
    Best regards
    Nina

14. Jill says:

I see that the new steps will be posted every Thursday, how long will the mystery last? Is this 2 months, 3 months?

15. I usually cut two 3″ squares, sew diagonally two seams on either side of a diagonal corner to corner line. Pressed and opened, the resulting two squares can be squared up to 2 “. Most directions have you cut 2 7/8″ to do the same thing, I just like the wiggle room so I cut mine one inch larger than the desired FINISHED HST.

Is the 2 3/8″ a typo?

Is 2″ the intended finished size or are the HSTs really supposed to finish at 1.5″?

16. Stephanie says:

I feel frustrated that no one is getting answers to their question. I have my Hst sewn and joined but would like to know how often are the steps given. Is this a once a day, once a week or once a month that the steps are given. I have done other mystery quilts and the give the steps out hourly and quick to answer. Sure hope I didn’t spend all this money on fabric on this project for nothing. Not much info is given. Has anyone done a mystery quilt with them? This is going to be a gift for my granddaughter but now afraid it won’t be done in time. Guess I should do something else

17. December says:

If your doing the scrappy version – would you make all your blue tone on tone pieces out of the same fabric – or would you split the 144 – 2-3/8″ to one fabric and the 96 – 2″ to another ?

• Carolyn says:

If I was making the scrappy version, I would use lots of blue tone-on-tone/prints for both and not separate them. The more the merrier for me!

• December says:

• Sandy Hicks Mullins says:

I am using different colors 3 blacks for white and blue, red, green and gold that all are the same line. I wonder how to mix them. I really want all the line in it will it work or should I reduce my colors by 1?

• Marsha says:

You just need to make sure you have a strong CONTRAST between your light colors and med/dark colors. This is most important when doing a mystery quilt.

18. Charlene Freeland says:

Good day, I’m like the rest, when will the next parts of Quilt be posted? Very excited to make this, can’t wait.

19. Kathy says:

I’m like Jerry Reese – I would prefer to get the instructions through this link rather than Facebook. Thanks to all the helpful posts and replies. Let’s get going!

20. B from Canada says:

I’ve looked back at the introduction, and today’s post, but I can’t find the schedule for when the parts are to be released.

Thanks for any help.

B from Canada

21. Katie Wilson says:

How do we find then next step?

22. Katie Wilson says:

How do we find the next steps?

23. Kathy says:

Now that I’ve found the first process, I am so excited. I have this addiction now to quilting – what fun.

24. How Many to we need to cut to make this a queen size?

25. Tammy says:

Thank you for the Mystery.Question? When you are making the HST, do they finish at 2″ square. So I will need to square them up to 2″ x 2″ square. If so, when you sew the blue 2″ x 2″ square to the 2″ x 2″ HST with a 1/4″ seam allowance it will end up unfinished
    2″ x 3 3/4″and not 3 1/2″ as listed above. Just so I am clear on the measurements. I plan on making the HST from a larger square that will yield 18 HST at one time to knock them out faster. I can’t wait until Part 2. I am doing my in Christmas colors (green, red, cream) So I will have a lovely Christmas present.

• Brooke says:

If Im reading the instructions correctly, I think the hst will be 2″ square unfinished (the size before added to a quilt) and 1.5″ finished. When you add the solid block to it, the size will be 2″ x 3.5″ unfinished.

26. Julie B says:

When will the next steps be posted?