New Year’s Mystery Quilt: Part 3

Today I have the third step in QM’s New Year’s Mystery Quilt called Auld Lang Stitches.

NewYearsMystery 300 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3

Cutting:

White Tone-on-Tone
96 squares (B) 2″ x 2″

Sewing:
Round up the unit 1′s and unit 3′s you set aside earlier.

Unit5 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3
Sew 2 unit 1’s together as shown to make a unit 5. Be sure they are oriented as shown above. Make 96 unit 5’s.

Unit6 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3
Sew a white B and a unit 3 together as shown to make a unit 6. Be sure they are oriented as shown above. Make 96 unit 6’s.

Printer-friendly pdf

*     *     *     *     *

I’d be interested in hearing how it’s going so far. Are you making all of the units in a step before moving to the next one, or are you making just a few of each? Either way is fine. It’s always interesting to hear about the approaches different quilters take. Please leave a comment and let me know!

Next clue: Thursday, Jan. 22.

QMATSD3 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3   QMATSL1 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3   QMATSM2 New Years Mystery Quilt: Part 3

Need to supplement your scrap stash? We have bundles of Lights, Mediums or Darks to get you going, Bonnie Hunter-style!

I'm an editor for Quiltmaker magazine in Golden, Colorado, USA. For six years, I wrote pattern instructions, product reviews and how-to articles. Then I spent four years as QM's Interactive Editor, working to generate much of our online content. Now I'm back to patterns and how-tos, which is a great fit for me. I still love writing about quilt-related topics for Quilty Pleasures, and I always have my finger on the pulse of the quilting world. I teach a variety of quilt classes and give guild programs, too. Reach me by email: editor@quiltmaker.com.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Scrapbag and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to New Year’s Mystery Quilt: Part 3

1. Arlanna says:

Am keeping up with mystery quilt and have started bitty quilt also. Hardest part is keeping up with the ironing I tend to save that for Saturdays just like when a teen only American Bandstand isnt there to keep me company.

2. Stephanie says:

i am usin a iridescent type cream as the light and a soft pink that has glitter and also a soft green. This will be for our two yr old granddaughter who will soon be going into a twin bed and her room is pink and green. Looking forward to the next step tomorrow.

3. Edie Smith says:

I just found part 3 of Mystery quilt but am having trouble finding parts 1 and 2. Thanks

4. Brigit says:

This is the first mystery quilt I’ve done. I’m enjoying the process of anticipating the next clues as well as reading posts from other participants. I’ve completed all steps, though changing the color choices has dumbfounded me a time of two. Assembling blocks is a spatial challenge and I did transpose the colors in the third clue and had to pull out a lot of threads and resew the HST’s. Told myself it was a learning process and an opportunity to practice patience. I challenged myself with the color choice as well. Over the holidays a friend introduced me to the new Pantone colors for 2015. My sister did not like them, I felt indifferent but decided to make this quilt in the new palatte of colors because they aren’t colors I normally choose. I’m calling it the Pantone Mystery Quilt. I’m substituting the color ‘Marsala’ for the white and tones of pink and beige for the red and blues and aqua for the blue. I’m very much liking the way the blocks are coming together and the colors are working for me. I’m just very curious to see what’s going to happen when we start building the blocks. Guessing that since the finished quilt will measure 72×96 and each block is 12″ there are going to be around 48 blocks with about 36 -2″ components making up the block? ( Just played with the math a bit,) I didn’t see on the FB page where we could post photos or leave comments about our progress. I am eagerly awaiting clue #6. Thanks for providing this fun project.

5. Yvette says:

I am doing each clue completely before I start the next. I would love to see other quilter’s colors. This is my mystery quilt and am enjoying it.

6. Arlanna says:

I am doing scrappy with cream/tan/brownish-gold as my white, a warm red in place of blue, and a green print in place of the red. I can accomplish each step before the next clue comes out. I do have a problem with the triangle squares coming out wonky, it would have been better for me to have made it larger and then squared them after. In order to reply with this
    comment I had to search the 15 comments tag. Can you put a link for
    posting comments & sending you pics
    on each step as it comes out?
    Am curious how it will turn out. Am enjoying the quest.

• Susan says:

I am using a teal blue, lime green with teal blue and black polka dots, and white. I have been able to keep up with steps one and two and am behind on step 3 only because I took time to take a quilting class with an instructor at the National Quilt Show which has been here in Albuquerque. I just couldn’t miss the opportunity. (If you ever get the chance, go to the AQS show. It is well worth it)
      I agree with Arlanna in terms of the wonkiness of the blocks. I found my measurement of the completed HST to be slightly less that 2 inches when sewn. I am using an omnigrid 1/2 inch ruler with a line through the center in order to mark my HST. Unfortunately, when you mark the lines with the pencil, it makes it wider than 1/4 inch when you sew down the line on each side of the middle mark (the one that you cut between the drawn lines). When I finished sewing all of them, I found that they were not 2 inch square but rather 1 and 3/4 or so! I have spent many hours unsewing and restitching to adjust the squares to make them the proper size. So I feel like I have cut sewn enough to complete 2 quilts!!
      Two lessons I learned from this: 1. Cut and Stitch one or two of anything before proceeding with the rest–otherwise you spend a lot of time unsewing! 2. I am now sewing inside my measurement lines-toward the outside edge- instead of on them. If I hadn’t already cut all the pieces, I would cut them larger by about 1/2 inch or so. I know there may be waste, but the frustration of unsewing 100′s of squares makes me disregard the waste factor.

7. Diane Burns says:

I’ve chosen a white background that has lots of multi-colored speckles, plus blue and red. I started late, since I’m also working on other quilts; but, so far, I’ve finished all of the white and blue blocks. Now I’m ready to work on the white and red blocks. I’m looking forward to see how everyone’s different color combinations turn out!

8. Bev Stone says:

My daughter and I live many miles apart – me in CO and she is in WI. So we decided it would be fun to do this together. Mine is scrappy – red, white and blue. Hers is purple, green and a print with pink, purple and the green. She is keeping up quite well, while life keeps interfering with mine but I hope to catch up soon!

• Pam Hopkins says:

It is fun doing this together even though we live mile apart!! Can’t wait to see the finished products! Speaking of this… I need to get sewing and finish with Part 3 so I am ready for Thursday!!

9. Stephanie says:

I finished step 3 today. I am using a cream tone on tone with a glittery pink and green. This will be for my 2 yr old granddaughters new bed. I like that the clues come out once a week. It is so much easier to keep up and I have several other quilts that I am working on. Will be nice t see what everyone is doing.

10. Sherrill from Saskatchewan says:

I’m following along and doing each step in order – it’s been easy to keep up with, having the clues come out once a week, so I’m ready for Part 3 today! My colour choice is a little different, I’m trying a scrappy theme – so I am using dark colours in place of the blue, light colours in place of the white, and then one bright pink print in place of the red, which will hopefully give some order to things. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!! Happy Quilting folks :D

11. Susan Anderson says:

I am doing mine in teal, dark blue and white. I am trying to complete each step as I move along. Right now I am still finishing up squaring up my blocks in step 2. I have to cut a wee bit larger and square up to 2 inches. It never seems to work and come out the correct size when I cut 1/2 square triangles as directed. I cut mine 2 and 1/2 and trim to 2 inches after sewing and cutting.

12. Cynthia says:

My colours are pink, blue and grey. I am still working on steps 1- 2 but have a good amount done so I am able to do some of this clue while still finishing the first two.

13. Debbie says:

I’m doing one step at a time and am so happy to have kept up so far. This is not only my first mystery quilt, but my first quilt, so quite a learning curve. Red, white and blue for me as well!

14. Barb Johnson says:

I’m just collecting the patterns for now! I’ll have more time starting next month, and will get started then.

15. Diane Harris says:

I’m sorry, I initially forgot to put in the link to the pdf. I knew there was something missing! I’ve added it now. Click away, my friends.

16. Marsha says:

I complete all of one step before starting the next.

17. Judy Snider says:

Can you put in a PDF button to make it easier to print. I’ve done all the parts so far.

Love the Mystery, Thanks

18. Kathy (the wanta be quilter) says:

My daughter and I have been doing one step at a time. We are not seasoned quilters and we do not want to get mixed up. She is doing her quilt in green and purple. I am doing mine in the red, white, and blue. I have never done one in those colors. I am so glad to have the chance to do this it has been fun and interesting.

19. Judy says:

I have the PDF files for parts 1 and 2. Where can I find the PDF file for part 3?

20. December says:

I have been working mine by cutting out all that I need for each step that is issued and working them in complete steps… Almost done cutting my purple for the last step…