New Year’s Mystery: Part 4

Today I have the fourth part in Quiltmaker’s New Year’s Mystery called Auld Lang Stitches.

NewYearsMystery 300 New Years Mystery: Part 4

If you missed the earlier parts, here are links:
Intro post with yardage
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Auld Lang Stitches, Part 4

For your convenience, here’s a printer-friendly pdf.

Cutting:

Red Tone-on-Tone
96 rectangles (C) 2″ x 3 1/2″ (three and one-half)

Sewing:

Sew a unit 6, unit 4 and red C together as shown to make a unit 7. Make 96 unit 7’s. Be certain they are all oriented just as shown below.

Unit7 New Years Mystery: Part 4
This is where it starts to take shape! You finally get to put all those units to good use and you’ll start to see the quilt design come to life. Stay the course, good quilters!

kerisfabrics New Years Mystery: Part 4

These are the three fabrics my friend is using for her mystery quilt.

I spoke with a friend at my local quilt group’s meeting last night, and she is still working to complete Step 1. She was laughing about it but was feeling a little bit discouraged, too. If you’re in the same boat, you’re in good company. Take your time and enjoy the process, and you’ll have a beautiful quilt in the end. Trust me.

Printer-friendly pdf

Step 5 appears Thursday, Jan. 29.

—–

Are you up for a small challenge? Try our Satellite Ride quilt kit for your wall or tabletop.

QM150201 New Years Mystery: Part 4

Try the Satellite Ride quilt kit for your next project.

I'm an editor for Quiltmaker magazine in Golden, Colorado, USA. For six years, I wrote pattern instructions, product reviews and how-to articles. Then I spent four years as QM's Interactive Editor, working to generate much of our online content. Now I'm back to patterns and how-tos, which is a great fit for me. I still love writing about quilt-related topics for Quilty Pleasures, and I always have my finger on the pulse of the quilting world. I teach a variety of quilt classes and give guild programs, too. Reach me by email: editor@quiltmaker.com.
This entry was posted in Freebies, Quilty Lifestyle and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to New Year’s Mystery: Part 4

1. December says:

yeah – I finally got part 3 done and I am about 1/2 way through part 4…. I can finally see the light at the end of tunnel :)

2. Stephanie says:

Got over half way on the first part when I discovered I had turned the 1/2 sq triangles over. So spent most of today doing the reverse stitching process, and now I am ready to try again.. I can see a pattern but still clueless as to what it is.. I look forward to each step.

3. Lorraine says:

Yeah! It’s starting to come together. I caught up this week, so this should be an easy step.

4. Lovie Shelton says:

Well I had half the units made for part one before I realized I had made them “left handed”. Guess that’s what happens when sewing at 3 in the morning. Should finish up part 2 tonight. Looking forward to starting part 3 this weekend.

5. Lovie says:

Well, I got half way through my part 1 units before realizing I had made them “left handed”. That’s what happens when sewing at 3 in the morning! Should finish up part 2 tonight, looking forward to #3 this weekend.

6. Judy Snider says:

Clicking on the PDF just gives me a blank page. Any help would be appreciated. Easier to get the right direction for all the pieces when I can lay it by the machine. This is a fun mystery and not how I thought they were going together.

Thanks for the fun quilt!!!

• Stephanie says:

I have taken a tablet with graph paper and each step just drew it out and used colored pencils to color the block the colors I am using. Then next to each one write the info. Only takes a few minutes. Now off to do Step 4

7. Linda Vandell says:

I have been doing each step as they come. The trimming of the dog ears is a chore. Any tricks to make HST without getting these? My colors are white, blue tonal with what looks like dark splatters on it and a red that has a vine running through it.

8. December says:

I am still working on part 2 – all the tiny pieces pieces and squaring up – while trying to work 2 jobs has taken me a bit longer. glad to hear that I am not the only one in the same boat…