Back to School: Hip-Hopscotch Quilt

Quiltmaker is having a Back to School Party and you’re invited! Come sew with us!

BTS14 logo 400opt 287x300 Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

Each day from Sept. 8 to 12, please join us here on Quilty Pleasures for a free quilt pattern in bite-size morsels plus tips to make it successfully and more fun and surprises.

The idea of the Back to School Party is to celebrate fall with a fun, easy new project. You’ll find camaraderie, guidance and inspiration each as we work on the quilt together. (Of course you can tuck it away to make later if you can’t sew while the party is happening.) The quilt is called Hip-Hopscotch; it was designed by Janice Averill.

We knew you’d need some time to gather sewing supplies so today we’re sharing a diagram and photos of Hip-Hopscotch along with the yardage requirements. The grayscale quilt diagram below is keyed to the fabrics in the yardage further down.

BTS14 quiltopt Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

Hip-Hopscotch is a 48″ x 60″ throw.
Each block finishes at 6″.

You can have some fun with fabric placement in this design. As soon as we have photographed the eight quilts our Back to School team has made, we’ll post photos for further inspiration. You’ll love all the possibilities.

BTS14 quilt linedrawing500opt Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

In the meantime, here’s a line drawing of the design. A line drawing has only the patch outlines. You can often see new shapes you didn’t see when the values were in place. Playing with line drawings is so much fun! Get a printer-friendly line drawing to play with.

We’ve put together a materials list that is keyed to the gray-scale quilt diagram above and below. Remember that your values do not have to match those in the diagram. For example, you can make the fabric that is shown as black be lighter in value if you wish.

BTS14 materialsopt Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

I would encourage you to shop your stash to make this quilt. What’s better than a quilt for which you don’t need to buy any more fabric? The line drawing will come in handy as you look at the fabrics you have on hand and decide on a color/fabric recipe for your own version.

BTS14 quiltopt Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

To help you plan your own quilt, if you wish, download and print the fabric chart below. Customize it by plugging in your own fabric choices.

QM Back to School chartnewopt Back to School: Hip Hopscotch Quilt

We’ll give you the first step of Hip-Hopscotch construction on Monday, Sept. 8. During the party you’ll also get to meet our team of reader-sewers, and we’ll have daily doses of learning. Plan to take photos of your quilt along the way so that we can share them with everyone and multiply the fun. I’ll see you at the party!

This entry was posted in Freebies, Scrapbag and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Back to School: Hip-Hopscotch Quilt

1. Pingback: Quiltmaker’s Back to School Party: Day 2 | Quilty Pleasures Blog

2. Lyn Prowse says:

Can’t wait to start seeing all the lessons.

3. Lyn says:

Can’t wait to start.

4. Pingback: Quiltmaker’s Back to School Party Day 1 | Quilty Pleasures Blog

5. dottie says:

I make quilts for the needy children and this looks like great fun. Thank you.
    Will definitely use fabrics from my Resource Center (stash).

6. Pingback: Back to School Party Next Week! | Quilty Pleasures Blog

7. Debbie says:

I just did it Beth. If you just want the quilt diagram and the hopscotch chart click on the blue highlighted words in the dialogue and it will give you separate pages to download and/or print. I did both (downloaded and printed). Hope that helps.

8. Mary C in WA says:

I wish I’d been on the BTS Team! It’s fun to play with QM Fabrics! Waiting to see who made the Team and their quilts.

9. Gertruda Hadwin says:

Would love to see this quilt in bright colors.

10. Beth says:

Is there a way to print out this information without the ads?

11. I love stash quilts,fast and easy is always good too. Thanks

12. Karen Falvey says:

Looking forward to seeing finished versions. Especially if there is a scrappy one.

13. Jean says:

Love Spring Tulips

14. This looks like a fast, fun quilt. I may have to try to get this one done in between other projects. :) Thanks!

15. Rita says:

I love the idea of back to school without children and enjoying my hobby of sewing! Great pattern can’t wait to get started.

16. alicia says:

Espero poder hacerlo cuando explore por mis telas. Me gusta mucho.

17. Mary Jane Cardwell says:

I can see totally scrappy or log cabinesque or several other things. This should be fun, but I may have to spend more time working than sewing that week, so download and work on it on the weekends.

18. marci says:

I can see rainbow rails in here – bottom, heading up and to right.
    I wonder how I figure in the fabric for that – as each rail would be a separate color,
    and it would take out 2 of the logs in the log cabin part of it also…. hmmmm

colored pencils – here we go!

19. Tami Chaulk says:

Adding Hip-Hopscotch to my ToDo List!

20. Annette Moller says:

Yesterday I was looking for a pattern in my EQ7 and found 2 patterns I designed over a year ago using this very same block! I knew I liked it. Now I may have to get one of them made for Halloween!!!.

21. Julie Dunn says:

What a fun pattern, I am looking forward to see all the different quilts. It will go on my to do list!

22. Karen says:

Looking forward to this! Shopping in my stash this morning!

Looks jelly roll friendly.

24. Andee in AZ says:

Looks like fun, I may just try to squeeze that in! :)

25. Whiskers says:

Made a little larger, it looks like a good pattern to use for a Quilt of Valor.

26. Shelly says:

Will the instructions be available even after you first publish them? I will be on a cruise and won’t be where I can get the instructions for at least a week. Love the idea of this quilt, but want to be sure I’ll be able to get the instructions!

27. Annette Moller says:

This looks like a great way to use up my stash and I love the simplicity of the pattern! Can’t wait to begin!!!

28. Patsy Wilkerson says:

Not going back to school myself but might as well with this class, sounds like fun!! Now to check out my stash, which I just got somewhat organized. Only problem, not sure I have many 1/2 yard pieces (that will be suitable anyway). Let the fun begin!!

• Diane Harris says:

Hi Patsy, here’s a thought: You could make the quilt more scrappy in order to use pieces less than 1/2 yard long. That gives me an idea for a blog post where I explain how that would be done. Stay tuned!

29. Karlene says:

Looking forward to the fun.

30. Jeannie Rasmussen says:

Yay! I’ve been watching for this year’s party to be announced. I can’t wait to see the gorgeous quilts and meet the BTS team!