The Quiltmaker Scrap Squad is a select group of six QM readers who take one pattern from each issue and make scrappy versions of it to inspire others. You can see slideshows of past Scrap Squad projects.
The featured design from the July/August issue of Quiltmaker is called Pup Tents. This issue is on newsstands now.
Pup Tents was designed by Janice Averill from West Haven, Connecticut. The pink version below was made using fabrics from our preferred partners Quilting Treasures.
Today we’re featuring a version by Emily Bailey from Centerville, Utah, who blogs regularly at Em’s Scrapbag. You’ll hear from Emily in her own words below.
* * * * *
When I saw Pup Tents I knew I wanted to use colors you’d find in a basic set of crayons minus the purple, brown and black. I don’t have purple in my stash, therefore it’s not in my scraps; brown and black are just not as bright and happy as the rest.
I sorted my scraps by value into darks, mediums…
…and a variety of lights for a low volume* background.
* Editor’s note: “Low volume” is a phrase that quilters have started using in the past few years to describe fabrics that have a lot of white or very light areas. The first person we heard use the term was Malka Dubrawsky.
Like Margaret, I did not use the flip and sew method.
Instead I cut 2 1/2″ strips and then used my half-square and quarter-square rulers to cut all the pieces.
I decided to keep the values in a similar order as the pattern. For the top row I used a dark “goose,” a medium-value side for the pup tent, and then the low volume background.
I chain pieced the low volume sky to the left side of the geese. After I added the medium-value side piece, I followed with a trapezoid piece containing the same fabric.
I followed a similar process with the units in the next row of the block, substituting the half-square triangle for the trapezoid. I added the square to the left side once they were all sewn together. I used a medium tent for these with a dark pup tent side piece.
I repeated the process with the next two rows, just changing the value placement. Row three used dark and dark, row four used medium and medium.
Then I sewed the rows together to make the block.
I knew that using the original layout was too busy for my blocks so I tried letting geese just snake down the quilt. First I tried alternating the way the geese traveled. I felt it was still too busy.
So I laid them out all going the same way. Much better!
For borders I auditioned several but I finally decided on a green “stop” border and a fun red print with blue flowers.
It turned out that I didn’t have enough fabric to make it all the way around. I loved the red so much I decided to find a way to make it work. I tried several pieced cornerstones but finally settled on a blue print.
I pieced the back with low volume prints I had in my stash. My low volume bin was quite full—in fact I couldn’t put the lid on it—so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.
I quilted organic lines running down my quilt.
I bound it with a American Jane print I had in my stash. I photographed it outside on a pretty day!
* * * * *
Start sewing immediately! Get the Pup Tents pattern from Quiltmaker.
Get Quiltmaker’s July/August issue: 11 great patterns including five star quilts!