The Quiltmaker Scrap Squad is a select group of six QM readers who take one pattern from each issue and make scrappy versions of it to inspire others. You can see slideshows of past Scrap Squad projects.
The featured design from the new July/August issue of Quiltmaker is called Pup Tents. This issue is on newsstands now.
Pup Tents was designed by Janice Averill from West Haven, Connecticut. The pink version below was made using fabrics from our preferred partners Quilting Treasures.
Today’s featured quilt is by Margaret Kennedy from Lake Frederick, Virginia. You’ll hear Margaret’s story in her own words below.
* * * * *
After studying the Pup Tents pattern, I decided to add a little interest by changing how the blocks were arranged and by making blocks in different colors. I grabbed a screen shot of the lower left portion of the quilt, 4 blocks wide by 4 blocks tall. I flipped and reversed it, then overlapped a little and came up with my setting. I call my quilt “A Little Off Center” because the center of the big X is not the center of the quilt.
Here is my working layout for the quilt – with lots of notes added. It’s not the prettiest drawing, but it served its purpose to keep me on track during the process of making the quilt. You can see that my quilt will be 8 blocks square, compared to the original 7 by 10 layout.
On my layout, I used a highlighter to indicate which blocks would be blue, and decided to make one long diagonal pink and the other red. I intensified the colors by using all medium to dark values for the geese and adjacent triangles and did not use lights for the “colors.” For the background, I selected several greens. I used the darkest one for the bottom “goose” based on the idea in the pattern’s alternate color way. I liked how this would form accent squares when the bottoms of two blocks met. Nearly all the fabrics are batiks.
This layout necessitated some reverse blocks. No problem, I just reversed a picture of the block layout!
I began with the blue blocks. I laid out a few blocks at a time, using my regular and reverse block layout as a road map.
Notice that there is no “stitch and flip” happening here. I was able to cut all my pieces with Accuquilt, except for the trapezoids used in units 2 and 4. I had a trick up my sleeve for those, however. I cut rectangles and used the “Folded Corner Clipper” ruler to cut the corner off to exactly match the correct size of half-square triangle that I die cut. You can see how perfectly the triangle matches the trapezoid in the second photo, making it a breeze to sew.
Following my work plan, I laid out the blocks on the design wall. Here are all the blue blocks:
After the blue blocks, I filled in the holes on the outside with all green blocks, and then it was off to make the pink blocks and the red blocks. There are a lot of pieces in these blocks, and it was a happy day when I had all the blocks on the wall! Here they are along with the backing fabric I was auditioning.
I added a 2.5″ border of the same fabric as the medium green pieces in the blocks. Next it was time to load the quilt and get it quilted. I selected green thread to add texture but not make a big statement.
I elected to use a wood grain quilting design. (Editor’s note: Look at Margaret’s spool blocks in the background of the photo below. Sweet!!! Free spool patterns by Laura West Kong on Adventures of a Quilting Diva.)
Binding matches the medium green. Here is the finished quilt:
Spring is a great time of year!