The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

By Paula Stoddard, QM Associate Editor

*     *     *     *     *

Once upon a time I was eating lunch with my sweet, cute hubby at our favorite Panera restaurant.

lunch The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

This isn’t lunch at Panera, but it is me with my sweet, cute hubby!

As we were sitting there eating, I noticed the fabric on the bench behind my sweet, cute hubby. Whose name is Dan, by the way.

panera The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

Fabric on the bench behind my sweet, cute hubby.

I’m not really into the gold look, but I was drawn to the design. It’s kind of hard to be discreet when taking a picture during the busy lunch hour in the middle of a restaurant, but I persevered. All in the name of a possible quilt design. Please tell me I’m not the only one who does this. My husband is pretty sure that I am.

panera block The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

Block inspiration.

I tucked this photo away for a rainy day to play with, which came about when coming up with a design for Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks, volume 9.

QMMS 140044 STODDARD The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

Metro Mod

I played with several fabrics from Quilting Treasures, and came up with this fun combination using Metro by Studio 8 for Quilting Treasures. Because this block was inspired by a lunch date at Panera, I wanted to be all creative and name it something like Almond Chicken Salad Surprise or Double Chocolate Chip Heaven, but as you can see, I just couldn’t make that work.

I really like this design – it has so many possibilities. One fun thing I discovered, besides all of the fun things you can do with color to create very different quilt designs, is that you can play with the quadrants of the block – rotating them differently within the block – to create a completely new block that lends itself to a whole new set of possible quilt designs. If you follow along on Quiltmaker’s Block Network, I explore all of the possibilities for this block on a future episode, so you’ll have to stay tuned!

So, please tell me I’m not alone! Where do you find your quilty inspiration?

Quilt happy!

About Paula

I'm an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker in Golden, CO. I've been quilting for 18 years, including teaching, long arm quilting, designing, and stash building. I also love to read, run, stitch, play with my boston terrier and spend time with my family.
This entry was posted in 100 Blocks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Tale of a Block: Metro Mod

1. Judy says:

I don’t take the pictures but I do constantly point out to people I am with that something we are looking at make a great quilt design.

2. Anne Wiens says:

No, Paula, you are not the only one who does that…. ;0)

3. Wendy says:

Yes! I am a member of the “club” too! I loved the pattern on the Panera seats also but didn’t get as far as making a block. The pic is still in my to do file. Quilty inspiration is all around us!

Wallpaper, carpeting, (have you seen the wallpaper and carpeting Bonnie Hunter has been photographing this week?), brick work, ornamentation on the sides of buildings–it is all in how you look at your world.

5. Cathryn says:

You are NOT alone – Been there, done that. I’ve taken tile floor pictures and upholstery pictures. Quilt patterns are everywhere we look – sometimes we just happen to see it. Other times we might miss it. Even wall paper has uses.

6. Great minds run in the same track. I noticed the same design at Panera several years ago but I never got around to taking a picture of it.

7. Pat V. says:

You are definitely not the only one who does this. I photograph walls, tile floors, whatever gives me block ideas, and I am not the least bit discreet. I just brazenly snap away!

8. Lisa E says:

Love Panera’s, love the story and love the block! Thanks for the fun post.

9. Vernon says:

I do the same thing. I was taking a photo of a design in a brick wall when some one stopped to see what I was taking a photo of.

10. Barb Johnson says:

No, you are definitely not alone, either in finding inspiration in public places or in having your hubby think you are slightly ‘off’! I stop in the middle of hotel lobbies and check out the carpeting. And hubby keeps walking, pretending he doesn’t know me, LOL!

11. DebrafromMD says:

I took pictures of the tiling in a public restroom in Bath, England. That sure earned me some funny looks.

12. Funny! People have been finding inspiration in tiled flooring so upholstery HAS to be a step up!