Quiltmaker will pay special attention to machine quilting in 2014.
We’re calling it the Year of Machine Quilting.
I am so excited about all we have planned to help you learn more about machine quilting.
• We want to help you learn the basics: info about needles, thread, batting, basting, and the mechanics of machine quilting.
• We want to build your confidence. We know that with the right tools and information, you CAN do it!
• We want to help you find ideas for what to quilt. We’ll give you some of them, and we’ll tell you about further resources for ideas, but we’ll also help you learn to come up with original ideas all your own!
• We want to help you move beyond the basics so that you can finish your quilts and be proud of them!
We’ve enlisted the help of machine quilter Natalia Bonner, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Free-Motion Quilting for C&T Publishing. It’s a book we recommend. We’ll refer to it often during the year.
Natalia will be writing about machine quilting here on Quilty Pleasures and we hope to give you opportunities to interact with her in other ways, too.
Natalia wrote her first Year of Machine Quilting column for the Jan/Feb ’14 Quiltmaker. You’ll find Edge-to-Edge Free Motion Quilting on page 28 of this issue. It’s a great place to begin. The article covers:
• Sewing machine basics
• Needles, thread and batting
• How to start machine quilting
• Edge-to-edge (also called “all-over) quilting designs
We’re in the process of selecting a team of readers to help us bring you the Year of Machine Quilting. We’ll announce their names soon. We have a few other things up our sleeve as well.
In the meantime, I hope you’ll read the article Natalia wrote for Quiltmaker. Get your practice sandwiches ready. And rev your engines.
* * * * *