QM’s Year of Machine Quilting

Quiltmaker will pay special attention to machine quilting in 2014.

YOMQ button 450 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

pinit fg en rect white 20 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

We’re calling it the Year of Machine Quilting.

I am so excited about all we have planned to help you learn more about machine quilting.

• We want to help you learn the basics: info about needles, thread, batting, basting, and the mechanics of machine quilting.

sorting2 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

Learning about thread for machine quilting is one of the basics we’ll be covering.

• We want to build your confidence. We know that with the right tools and information, you CAN do it!

motif QMs Year of Machine Quilting

• We want to help you find ideas for what to quilt. We’ll give you some of them, and we’ll tell you about further resources for ideas, but we’ll also help you learn to come up with original ideas all your own!

QuiltingDesigns8 inside QMs Year of Machine Quilting

• We want to help you move beyond the basics so that you can finish your quilts and be proud of them!

Natalia Bonner QMs Year of Machine Quilting

Natalia Bonner

We’ve enlisted the help of machine quilter Natalia Bonner, author of The Beginner’s Guide to Free-Motion Quilting for C&T Publishing. It’s a book we recommend. We’ll refer to it often during the year.

natalia2bookcover QMs Year of Machine Quilting

Beginner’s Guide to Free-Motion Quilting by Natalia Bonner

Natalia will be writing about machine quilting here on Quilty Pleasures and we hope to give you opportunities to interact with her in other ways, too.

QMMP 140200 cover 500 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

Natalia wrote her first Year of Machine Quilting column for the Jan/Feb ’14 Quiltmaker. You’ll find Edge-to-Edge Free Motion Quilting on page 28 of this issue. It’s a great place to begin. The article covers:

• Sewing machine basics
• Needles, thread and batting
• How to start machine quilting
• Edge-to-edge (also called “all-over) quilting designs

We’re in the process of selecting a team of readers to help us bring you the Year of Machine Quilting. We’ll announce their names soon. We have a few other things up our sleeve as well.

In the meantime, I hope you’ll read the article Natalia wrote for Quiltmaker. Get your practice sandwiches ready. And rev your engines.

*     *     *     *     *

YOMQ button 450 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

pinit fg en rect white 20 QMs Year of Machine Quilting

Read more Year of Machine Quilting blog posts. Find more lessons, ideas and inspiration at quiltmaker.com/machinequilting.

This entry was posted in Machine Quilting, Quilting 101 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to QM’s Year of Machine Quilting

1. tanya says:

I am a new quilter, and recently purchased this magazine, and I am so excited to give this a try!—–I’m tired of hand tying my quilts!

2. Jeri Pleticha says:

I am a new quilter. Only did straight lines that weren’t perfect the first time around. Would love to not be fearful of the machine.

3. Patty says:

I found your blog from a link on Karen’s Selvage Blog. I have been free motion machine quilting for more than 15 years. I will be interested in reading your blog in 2014 and see what I can learn to add to my skill set.

4. Yay! I’m really excited about this. Machine quilting is the skill I most want to improve. I’ve read the first article and am ready to put it into practice on my next top. Have a super day!

5. Linda Ferguson says:

Maybe with Quiltmakers help, I will become a confident machine quilter in 2014!

You’ve got MY attention!

7. Mary C in WA says:

I have had Natalia quilt two of my quilts and she is fabulous. I wish I’d felt I had enough time to be on your TEAM. I will be watching from afar…

8. Sue C says:

PS I have received my Quiltmaker magazine and was excited to read about the machine quilting emphasis. I also purchased the book and just began reading it. It is so exciting!!!

9. Sue C says:

I am very excited about the prospect of learning more. As others have said before, I am a new quilter and my machine quilting consists of stitching in the ditch, and cross hatching and other versions of straight lines. I did do a wavy line on my most recent quilt, but it was with the walking foot. Thank you for doing this!!!!

10. Betsy Boynton says:

I would love to learn fm quilting in the new year.

11. Kathy Jacques says:

I have had a long arm quilter for about two years now and have only managed to do free hand quilting. Don’t know how to do anything else, and would love to find local vendors, quilt shops, or online tutorials that can walk me through new ideas.

12. Tammy Scouten says:

I would love to learn how to machine quilt as I m a new quilter. I love my quiltmaker magazine.

13. Kathy Rider says:

I hope you can teach old dogs new tricks!

14. Lee Ann L. says:

Yay! I am gearing up to do some machine quilting next year!

15. Rhonda Casey says:

I’m really excited about this! This is going to be so helpful. Love the quilting design on the book cover.

16. KarenVR says:

I am a new quilter, but put my toe in the water right away and machine quilted my very first baby quilt. I’m very excited to follow along and have Natalie’s book on my Christmas list. Santa has even been known to leave a gift or two for me under the tree-at my age! It will be a fun year as I learn new skills making pretty things along the way.

17. Barb Johnson says:

I’ve mostly done straight line quilting and simple meander-all-over quilting. So I am ready to kick it up a notch and try something more challenging. Please include some articles about how to choose quilting designs for different quilt tops. I have half a dozen tops ready to quilt, and I am stumped on how to quilt them. I don’t want to keep doing plain meandering. Choosing appropriate quilting designs is my biggest challenge right now.

18. ecarp says:

So glad for the chance to learn more about fm machine quilting. You are so kind for generously sharing your skills and knowledge. I know this will be a great help to me. Thanks

19. ecarp says:

So thrilled for the chance to learn more fm machine quilting. Thanks for generously sharing your skills and knowledge. I use a domestic Juki on a “home-made” quilting frame. I know this will be so helpful. Thanks

20. Nancy says:

thanks for doing this I need to improve my skills!

21. Darlene Krystal says:

I have no sewing machine….I do hand sewing and quilting….have been for over 40 years….and what I have found is that a lot of machine techniques can be adapted to hand sewing….for myself..I love doing that…I find that it’s great fun to learn because there are so many blocks that go with either hand or machine quilting….Have a merry xmas and happy new year….looking forward to learning in 2014….

22. annette foley says:

thank you i have been wanting to learn how to free motion quilt but have been afraid of messing up. maybe this will help me finally get started on it.

23. Mary Hayes says:

This is just what I wanted. I have done some FMQ and hope that this will improve my skills.

24. Diane Jacob, Texas says:

So excited to bring my machine quilting a step further, all I do now is straight stitching. Got the first installment and have read it twice so far to make sure I have everything straight.

25. Pam Fullmer says:

excited to learn to free motion quilt.

26. Melva Nolan says:

Just what I wanted… and need to take my quiltmaking to the next level. Thanks!

27. Peggy says:

Fantastic! Just what I had in mind for 2014, to become a better FMQ’er! Looking forward to learning more from you and Quiltmaker.

28. marlene skinner says:

yeah !!!!! this is so up my alley…

29. Linda Erickson says:

Great! thanks for doing this

30. Judy says:

This sounds perfect as I am planning to start free motion quilting in the new year.