Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Several months ago, we announced on Facebook that we were looking for QM readers to work on a one-time project for us. It’s been my pleasure to work with the nine women we selected as the Back to School Sewing Team. I’m happy to introduce them to you this week during Quiltmaker’s Back to School Party.

BTS13 logo 400 Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Today I’m pleased to introduce Marijke Vroomen Durning from Montreal, Quebec.

Marijke Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Marijke Vroomen Durning from Montreal, Quebec

Marijke sewed with Stonehenge fabrics from Northcott. Her completed quilt is shown below.

QMMP BTS Northcott 5001 Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Playground in Stonehenge fabrics from Northcott. Made by Marijke Vrooming Durning.

pin it button Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer
This is another quilt that says fall in the prettiest way. Marijke was thoughtful about where she placed the rings of color. It’s a nice symmetrical arrangement and it’s a striking quilt. The quilting is especially nice.

I asked Marijke to send me a few thoughts that I could share with you.

Although I’ve been machine piecing and hand quilting for almost 25 years, I’m only a year into machine quilting on my domestic machine. I have an elevated acrylic table for my machine, but it’s not big enough to support the quilt. There were several times when my stitching overlapped or was way bigger than I wanted because the quilt caught on the edge of the table.

40994 Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Although I am competent at machine quilting and will likely do it some more, I really do enjoy hand quilting much more. However, I am going to make some changes to my set up. I just read how Leah Day suspends her quilts around her as she’s working on them.

Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

Read Leah Day’s instructions for quilt suspension here: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2011/09/quilt-too-big-hang-it-up.html

That is do-able in my set up because my quilting room has a loft bed in it and my sewing desk is beneath it. If that suspension works, then I may enjoy the machine quilting more. We’ll see.

I had a couple of things go wrong. I sewed an extra piece of fabric to the back of the quilt that I didn’t realize was there! And my free motion foot broke. And I ran out of thread just as I was starting the borders. Thankfully it was at the beginning so I didn’t have to pick out too much stitching.

Doing this quilt was very challenging because I pushed myself with the quilting and we had only a short time to do it in. But if you have the opportunity to do something like this, go for it!

On behalf of Quiltmaker and Northcott, I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to Marijke Vroomen Durning for a job well done. We really appreciate you!

To reinforce my appreciation for Marijke’s efforts, please leave her a thank-you message in the comments below. Thanks!

This entry was posted in Scrapbag and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Introducing Marijke Vrooming Durning: A Back to School Sewer

1. Roz Agulnik says:

I’ve seen Marijke’s quilt in person as she is a member of our guild. It is really nice and the quilting is spectacular. She’s come a long way in machine quilting in a year. Her hand quilting is fabulous. The fabrics she received were great with this pattern. Some of the choices sent to other quilters, in my opinion, were not super.

2. Susan says:

The quilt is wonderful, and I love the name. The blocks and the name work together to evoke a picture of many a playground in schools where I taught. Fabrics are wonderful for this pattern, too. In spite of all the things that went wrong, you persevered and achieved a wonderful quilt! I’m sure you learned more than you would have on a quilt which went smoothly and cooperated!

3. Linda Armenti says:

Oh my gosh, for all those goofy things happening you did an amazing job! I especially love that outsider border fabric, but the whole thing is just spectacular. Like a mountain view with the colors.

4. Cecilia says:

Your quilt is very pretty! I love the fall colors. Thank you for sharing.

5. Karen W says:

I like the colors and their placement in the quilt. It’s fall, without resorting to only oranges and browns. Good job!

6. Deborah DeBerry says:

I am working on the Aiming for Accuracy Quilt-Along by Quilting Gallery. We are getting to the end with only about 4 weeks left.

7. Karlene says:

I love the colors in your quilt and how you placed them. Good job!

8. Paula Wedig says:

Very nice and comfortable quilt. Colors are evenly spaced out the yellows usually draw the attention so having them in each corner spread was very efficient. Definitely would not have realized the issues. Thanks for helping me realize I’m not the only person with quilting issues…

9. Margaret U. says:

Nice job! I’ve always wanted to use that line of fabric but hadn’t decided just what I’d do with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

A friend sent me a link to a similar arrangement a couple of years ago. I had to modify it a little, but tried it. It takes a lot of strain off of your shoulders which helps immeasurably. If anyone else is like me, I nearly sew my nose to my work, so having something lift the weight of the quilt up off the table and make it more maneuverable is a blessing. Try it, you might like it.
    PS. I do like your quilt and the lovely colors you worked with.

11. virginia says:

So beautiful Marjike, so happy to see your picture and know a little about you and your sewing room.
    virginia in ca, red

12. Diane McK says:

Great quilt, Marijkr. We would not have known about your problems/errors if you had not told us. Don’t be hard on yourself!

13. Sharon Gallegos says:

Great job, Marijke!! It turned out really nice!

14. kaholly says:

It’s just lovely. I enjoyed this post very much.