The featured Scrap Squad quilt in Quiltmaker’s May/June issue is Mandarin Express, below.
It was designed by Robin Waggoner from Spokane Valley, Washington. Robin and Sandy Odeen pieced it, and Robin quilted it. The batiks are from Hoffman California Fabrics.
- Nicole Brouillette from Cottonwood, California
Today’s featured quilt is by the youngest member of QM’s Scrap Squad, Nicole Brouillette from Cottonwood, California. Visit her blog to read more about Nicole and her longarm business. You’ll hear from Nicole in her own words below.
* * * * *
I really liked the original colors and pattern for this issue’s Scrap Squad project. After some consideration, I came up with a plan. I’ve wanted to use black as my background ever since I attended my guild’s quilt show last year. And it is no secret that I love to use bright colors. This quilt might take the cake as far as that is concerned, and I love every bit of it!
Just look at this COLOR!
The designer of this quilt and Quiltmaker’s editors did an amazing job, so there isn’t too much to tell about piecing this quilt. It went together really well, especially if you like making a lot of the same thing at once! There are a lot of Four Patches…
And a lot of half square triangles. I always trim the dog ears off of my HST’s. There were a lot of them in this quilt so I got to use my favorite spring-assisted scissors. Using a rotary cutter would take way too long for me! So, while watching a movie on my laptop, I sat and trimmed them all at once.
Ah, progress! All of my units are finished and I can start assembling the blocks.
I usually like to complete a step before I start another one, but I was so excited to see how these blocks would play together that I completed five of each block so I could peek at the results. Ok, I’m in love. The pattern looks great set as it is, but look how much it changes as soon as you put it on point!
I didn’t think that I would succeed in finding a border fabric that would work with this quilt. Luckily a friend of mine and I went to a quilt shop that hosts a “Longarmer’s Anonymous” class where we get together and talk about different techniques and tools.
I brought a couple of blocks with me and I found a fabric that was possibly made for this quilt!!! Black, purple, shades of green and yellow, and oh so scrumptious!
I added a small inner border to create a floating effect, and then my large border…and my top is DONE. The quilt has grown so much that I can no longer get a full picture of it in my small room! It measures 79″ x 105″.
Now off to quilting! I chose one of my brand new pantographs and a light purple thread and went for it! I wanted the quilting to show up on the black but not take away from all of that piecing in the center of the quilt, and I think that I accomplished that.
I cut 2½” strips, join them with a diagonal seam, trim the seam to ½” and press it open. Then I press the strip in half and start attaching the binding.
I use a 3/8″ seam allowance and it always turns out perfect! There is the same amount of binding fabric on the front as the back and the binding is nicely stuffed—no extra fabric without batting at the end of it. Once I get to a corner I stop at exactly 3/8″, then pull the binding straight up…
And then go straight back down until the fold is even with the edge of the quilt. Then I start the 3/8″ seam and go all the way to the back edge of the quilt and then down to the next corner. Voilà…perfect mitered corners and bindings.
A quilt is not finished until it has a label…here’s mine.
Very impressive! She truly made it her own. This is why there is such fierce competition for the Scrap Squad posts—these women are dynamite! Thanks Nicole, for your hard work getting this monster-quilt in on time! We think it was well worth it.