Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz

I’m happy to welcome a guest to Quilty Pleasures today. I’ve used Inklingo and I can tell you it’s wonderful. Read on and enjoy.

Inklingo Hexagons

by Linda Franz

The new issue of Quiltmaker is all about hexagons, so I was thrilled to be asked to show you Inklingo! My name is Linda Franz and I invented Inklingo (US Patent 7,814,832).

pink hex P1010144 Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
Print hexagons on fabric with Inklingo!

• Goodbye templates!
  • Goodbye basting!
  • Goodbye marking dots!
  • Goodbye whip-stitching!

Sounds good so far?

• Hello to a more portable, relaxing way to sew!
  • Hello to faster preparation and better results with no stitches showing on the front.
  • Hello to easy peasy inset seams, even by machine.
  • Hello to sewing by hand when you need a portable project and sewing by machine when you want something fast—in the same quilt.

If hexagons are not your thing, please keep reading. There is something for you too.

1 hexd A Pink Fabric Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz

Quilters started printing hexagons on fabric with Inklingo seven years ago and many, many quilts have been started and finished since then—even UFOs that were started with English Paper Piecing and good intentions.

P1110466 printer Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
Inklingo Shape Collections are big PDF files which open with Adobe Reader, so you can print pages of shapes on fabric. Fabric goes through the printer just like paper when it is ironed to freezer paper. I draw the layouts of shapes to use fabric efficiently. You print them. It’s fun and it’s simple! Printing on fabric has huge advantages whether you are sewing hexagons or any other design. There are 3 simple little things that make it possible:

1. Test Pages
  2. Custom Page Sizes
  3. Layouts of Shapes

TEST PAGE c Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz 1. Test Pages Print a test on a scrap of fabric so you can be sure the ink in your printer will wash out even after pressing. All 20 Inklingo colors probably will wash out. It doesn’t hurt to leave ink in the quilt, but you need to test to be sure it will not bleed or show on the front. Test Pages give you confidence.

custom sizes 03 Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz2. Custom Page Sizes Inklingo uses a feature in the software of ordinary printers which allows you to print any size to use fabric efficiently and get exactly the number of shapes you need. Before Inklingo, I had only printed standard sizes and I did not know I could enter other sizes in the print dialog box. It’s easy, and there are step-by-step instructions on the website. When you have done it once, you are an expert. You can print the shapes for anything from Grandmother’s Flower Garden to Double Wedding Ring and Feathered Star!

1 hexd A Layout of Shapes Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz

3. Layouts of shapes I recommend an ordinary 8.5 inch wide printer for Inklingo, but all of the layouts are 13 x 19. This gives us many more options for printing exactly what we need without wasting fabric. Sometimes 11.75 or 14 inches is just right. This flexibility is great for yardage or for scraps and Jelly Rolls. It also means it is easier to see how much fabric is required. (Great for designers!) Inklingo PDFs have hundreds of pages because each layout of shapes is provided 20 times on 20 pages, each a different ink color and line weight to show on almost any fabric. When you have the lines printed on the fabric, you can sew by hand or by machine or a little of both in an Inklingo hybrid.

video hexagons by machine Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
This YouTube video includes my best tips for sewing hexagons by machine in only 8 minutes.

video hexagons by hand Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
This YouTube video is all about sewing hexagons by hand. (Only 4 minutes) English Paper Piecing RESCUE! Good news! If you have already started a hexagon quilt with English Paper Piecing and are disappointed that it takes so long, you can finish it with Inklingo. Rescue that EPP GFG UFO!

Inklingo pieced hexagons Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz

More Hexagon Designs There are many, many varieties of Hexagons, including Pieced Hexagons and Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses.

Periwinkle pink Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
Periwinkle Quilt – Free Lesson

Your timing is great because there is a new “reverse mystery” on the All About Inklingo blog for a Periwinkle Quilt with octagons—a refreshing alternative to hexagons. The lesson is perfect for Inklingo beginners. It could be your first Inklingo project.

cover hex design 180 Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
Why Quilters Love Inklingo Hexagons
There is a summary on the Main Hexagon Page. There is much more to see on the All About Inklingo blog (searchable), like how to design with hexagons in Electric Quilt (free project files), combining hexagons and diamonds, Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses (90° hexagons), and how to make a finger pincushion for your portable kit (video). If you know quilters who like hexagons, please send them over! inklingo heart Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda FranzWhere to Start Order, download, and start sewing in the next few minutes. I always recommend starting with the free shapes (diamonds, triangles, squares). Quick Start (Always FREE.) SSIB cover 200 Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz
Are you bored by hexagons? It’s okay.
If you are tired of hexagons and prefer other designs, the Inklingo Smart Shopper’s Idea Book (free PDF download) is full of non-hexagon inspiration too. Thank you very much to Diane Harris at Quiltmaker for this opportunity to show you Inklingo. I hope you will start Inklingoing today, and if you have any questions as you go along, please ask. I am happy to help.

Linda & Monkey

$10 Coupon! 6 Year Anniversary Special on the handbook

Inklingo Quiz – Just for Fun!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Inklingo: Hexagons with Linda Franz

1. Pingback: All About Inklingo » Blog Archive » 300 Pieced Hexagons – Ready today!

2. lambot says:

je viens de decouvrir le inklingo je voudrais l adresse ou l on peut commander j habite la Belgique merci a celui qui pourras me fournir le renseignement liliane

3. Pingback: All About Inklingo » Blog Archive » Inklingo Periwinkle Quilt – Lesson Part 4

4. Sherry Johnson says:

I am a recent Inklingo convert and would encourage everyone to try it. The opportunity to download the free shapes makes it a win-win. I have a Grandmother’s Flower Garden almost finished that has been a UFO since doing the third block with English Paper piecing. Inklingo has made it ago much easier and I am having fun working on it this time. You have nothing to lose….try it for yourself.

5. Pingback: All About Inklingo » Blog Archive » Inklingo Periwinkle Quilt – Lesson Part 3

6. Jeannette Holland says:

I have used Inklingo since 2008 and I absolutely love it.I mainly hand piece my quilts these days because the stitching lines make it so easy and accurate.Sometimes I make a hibrid quilt sewing some by machine and some by hand.You can do it anyway you want.I recommend that you go and have a look at Tildes project page and see amazing quilts made with Inklingo.There’s a free collection you can download to get you started.Give it a go, you’ve nothing to lose.

7. Helen Zervas says:

Hi this is fantastic and it somehow is unbelievable .How do you print same size as the paper we print with…i have so many questions the patterns on the material…does it have to be Special material .

8. Pam M,Australia says:

I have used inklingo with a number of commercial designs with great success and great time saving. Instead of using the ” make it big and trim it down” method that is usually used, I was able to piece 144 perfectly sized flying geese in no time at all. A wonderful and really versatile product.

9. Oh, how COOL! Does Inklingo work with laser jet printers as well, or only with ink jet printers? I’d love to try this!

10. I love Inklingo, too. Here is a picture of a hexagon quilt I made years ago.
    It was the first quilt I ever finished, thanks to Inklingo! No more dull preparations, just straight to the fun part!

11. FloJo says:

Great introduction to Inklingo Linda! If I wasn’t already hooked, I would have been with this. Thanks to you, Monkey and Inklingo, I now have hundreds [or more] new projects in mind. With Inklingo, I might even get some of them done [I'm a great project starter but a terrible finisher-upper]. Thank you Linda!

12. Bruce Stripe says:

I have been using Inklingo for a few years now and it has given me the confidence to try quilt patterns that always looked too difficult such as the Double Wedding Ring.
    Linda makes hand piecing fast, easy and portable. No more spending hours drawing around templates. Can spend the time saved on sewing.

13. Pingback: All About Inklingo » Blog Archive » Inklingo Curves in Electric Quilt

14. sakizome says:

I have just started using Inklingo for Lucy Boston’s POTC Quilt and it’s amazing. I am also working on probably my last paper-pieced quilt – a king size Hexagon Stars quilt. Inklingo is transformative to the whole hand-sewing experience and makes for much better seams too!

15. Judy Morin says:

As a long-time Inklingo user, I was ecstatic to hear that Quiltmaker was going to feature Linda Franz and Inklingo. But I am severely disappointed that Inklingo was NOT mentioned in the magazine, but only in the blog. Guess that’s better than nothing, but since you featured so many commercial ways to cut and sew (EPP) hexagons, I thought you should mention Inklingo in the magazine also.

16. Parson Jack says:

My quilting life began in the mid-90s when machine piecing and quilting were the most popular methods. Unlike many of my female quilting friends whose mothers and grandmothers taught them to sew by hand at very early ages, I missed out while learning to be manly ;) . So the joy of hand piecing and quilting have been discoveries of my later years. Linda taught me to hand piece through her DVDs and videos (lindafranz.com) and now I am nearly finished with a hand pieced freeform hexagon quilt made easy and pleasurable using Inklingo. Linda is an awesome teacher. Her documentation is peerless. If one has a problem, she personally fixes it with you. Do yourself a favor and begin exploring Inklingo!

17. Cathi says:

I’ve been an Inklingo quilter since it first came out. Thanks to one of the Inklingo hexagon collections, a hexagon project I had started many years ago is going to get finished. It’s easy to use printed hexagons to finish something started with English paper piecing and abandoned.
    I can’t imagine using a better tool than Inklingo for quilting. Perfect stitching and cutting lines, matching points and tons of inspiration in each and every collection. And instant gratification – download the collection and you’re printing in minutes! No need for specialty rulers!
    Inklingo makes it easy to make even the most intricate patterns. Feathered Star, Dresden Plate, YinYang, the list just goes on and on!

18. Linda Franz says:

Hi Marcia, I am sorry you had trouble downloading. Please email me at linda AT lindafranz.com and I will be happy to help. Hugs, Linda & Monkey

19. MarciaW says:

I attempted to download some free items and couldn’t, so would appreciate pointers on how to get through Inklingo.

20. Kate says:

What a cool thing! I guess Im going to have to get a ink jet printer. Thanks for sharing this.

21. Laura says:

I am a satisfied Inklingo customer. I participated in the New York Wheel Inklingo mystery (The Case of the Secret Garden or COTSG) and Linda made it a very enjoyable and successful experience.

22. Mary says:

I started an “odds and ends” hand pieced project a couple years ago and needed to do some printing to revive the project. I was pretty sure I had used the FREE collection, but opened the file to make sure. It not only was the FREE collection, but I had forgotten all of the visuals showing some of the many different blocks you can make with just this collection. It is a GREAT way to “get your feet wet”.

23. Gina says:

I purchased the 1″ hexagon Inklingo and am a very satisfied customer. I love how you can’t see my stitches. I have never been able to master the invisible whip stitch so when I English paper piece a light and dark fabric together, my thread inevitably shows and that bugs me. That’s not the case with Inklingo. The running stitch is easy and the project is portable. My flimsy is now lap sized and I’m ready to add borders and design another one.

24. I’d rather give up my self healing cutting mat and my rotary cutter than give up Inklingo – I’m serious! Inklingo has changed my quilting life – most of my quilts are made with Inklingo. I am working on an Alabama Beauty now – which has 16 pieces in each block – ALL of them curved and 8 of the pieces meet in the center – try THAT without Inklingo cutting, sewing and pinning lines!

Inklingo has made it possible for today’s quilters to easily construct beautiful traditional quilt patterns that have fallen out of favor because they are so difficult to make. And I think it has helped to bring back the fine art of hand piecing. In today’s rush rush rush world of “Quilt in a Day” there is something to be said for relaxing with a hand pieced project.

Of course most patterns can also be made by machine if that is your choice. Even patterns without curves are made easier and more accurate with the sewing lines and pinning points to follow. I made the Japanese + and x quilt (spool block) without Inklingo and then made another one with Inklingo – MUCH easier.

25. Glenda says:

INKLINGO is the best!

26. Sally Acomb says:

I love Inklingo because the precision of the printed templates allows me to make difficult quilts that I would never tackle otherwise. The New York Beauty curves were wonderful to work with. I still have a Hexagon Quilt that I would love to do – it’s on the list and will be done by Inklingo, of course!

27. Pingback: All About Inklingo » Blog Archive » QUILTMAKER and Inklingo Periwinkle Quilt – Lesson Part 2

28. Lorraine says:

Yes, yes, yes! Let the world know!! :-) ) The is the most awesome way to do any quilt…so many shapes and sizes available!! And it is perfect for doing a group quilt…blocks come out a perfect, uniform size every time! Try it…you will be so glad you did!

29. Amazing! I had no idea this existed. Thank you for sharing.

30. Karen says:

I have been using Inklingo for several years and love it! I made and completed a queen size Joseph’s Coat quilt and I am working and nearing the finish of a queen size Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses plus two other projects with hexagons – try it – you will like it — from a satisfied customer!