Hexagon Roundup

We’re just one week away from the official debut of Quiltmaker’s May/June issue. Some subscribers may already have found the issue in their mailboxes.

QM10513 Hexagon Roundup

With that in mind, we’re starting to build excitement for the theme:

Hooked on Hexagons!

When we started the hexagon research, we were amazed at how many resources are out there. We’ve added more at quiltmaker.com and we invite you to check them out.

hexagongraphpaper 200 Hexagon Roundup

Download free hexagon graph paper at quiltmaker.com

• Create your own hexagon quilt design! We provide a free download of hexagon graph paper you can play with.

a0f7b98b624579535069219bdce7b70d Hexagon Roundup

Photo: Julie Herman, jaybirdquilts.com

• For several months we have collected images of wonderful hexagon-based quilts. See them all on our Hexie Love Pinterest board.

Others also have hexagon resources. It’s been so much fun to scout them out. You’ll see lots more about hexagons in the weeks to come.

Moda Fabrics has introduced Honeycombs: precut hexagons that measure 6″ from point to point. Each unfinished side is 3″.

imageContent.do?contentKey=66a63dd9 75b4 43ac bbf5 df9f4ffe9236&size=PRIMARY&fileName=1867.31724 Hexagon Roundup

How can you use them?

Hexagon Roundup

Lissa Alexander shows you how on YouTube.

• We’re loving Linda Franz’s Inklingo system. You can use it for hexagon projects and for a wide variety of additional shapes.

quick start combo3 Hexagon Roundup hex 3 types Hexagon Roundup

It prints cutting and sewing lines directly on the back of your prewashed fabric for perfect piecing by hand or machine. Watch for an upcoming guest post by Linda herself!

Hex N More Ruler Hexagon Roundup

• Julie Herman at Jaybird Quilts has developed a great new ruler called Hex N More. A full post about this ruler and its potential for creative fun is upcoming.

ks piece hexsm Hexagon Roundup

Mosaic by Albert Small

• The Illinois State Museum Society has an interesting hexagon quilts page. Mosaic by Albert Small, above, is one of the featured quilts. It’s hard to see in this photo but those are thousands of tiny hexagons.

Hexagon Roundup

Riley Blake Designs and Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet have teamed up to bring you Hexie Half Rulers. Hoping to play with these very soon!

QM10513 Hexagon RoundupThere is lots more to show you but I won’t use it all up today. Have fun checking out all the links and we’ll see you soon for more hexie fun! Be sure to check out the four hexagon projects in this great new issue.

And…

We’re wondering what hexagon resources you have found. If you know of something, please share it in the comments below. Thanks!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Hexagon Roundup

1. Pingback: Giveaway! Meet Deonn Stott, Designer of Sheep Shape | Quilty Pleasures Blog

2. I found this website for printing out, on paper, graph paper for any size hexagon, triangle, diamond, trapezoid, etc. You specify the length of the side, had to print out a few to find out that size meant the length of the side. It can be any size. Perfect!

3. Sharie says:

I made a hexagon quilt with roughly 2100 1/2 inch side pieces. When I finished the top, I wondered how I was going to keep the nice knife edge. In the end I put hexies on the back. When I decided to do that then I wondered how I was going to put batting in it. I cut hexies from the batting, took a glue stick and each hexagon on the front also had a hexagon batting with a hexagon back and then I quilted. The quilt is all done by hand. It took awhile to do this. I now have two other hexagon quilts in the works. I have told myself – no hexagons on the back.:-)

4. Peggy says:

http://www.paperpieces.com has been around a long time and
    they are constantly improving the products they carry.
    Perfect source for the paper templates!
    They were the source (and still are) when EPP was not
    popular like it is now!

5. Rebecca White says:

Wow so many hexagons, I myself love Sue Daley’s technique using the English paper piecing method. Since the introduction of the Sewline Glue pen this old technique has become so much quicker and more enjoyable. I would love to do a class with Sue, maybe one of these days I’ll be able to attend a class. btw Sue I’m really enjoying all of your new designs in the Riley Blake Fabric, great to see that English paper piecing works in everything. I’m addicted!

6. We can’t go past Sue Daley of Patchwork with Busyfingers whose products and technique we promote in our store – her pre-cut papers & acrylic templates come in all shapes and sizes – her technique of glue basting – for which she is well known worldwide – has revolutionised this age-old paper piecing craft. She travels the world teaching her technique and if memory serves me correct, she is currently in Madrid on a teaching trip right now! She has the most wonderful designs and is definately someone you should look out for before you start your next English Paper Piecing project – her designs – which include paper piecing on their own or combined with needleturn applique will get you wanting more and more!

7. Judy Morin says:

I’m so disappointed! Having read the preview and your mention of Inklingo, I expected to see SOMETHING about Inklingo in the magazine. I have read it from cover to cover looking for the reference to Inklingo and CAN’T find it. Is it there and if not, WHY NOT?

8. Colette says:

I have to agree with Gina…every quilt in the magazine is a must make quilt. I have a special bag and pin cushion made specifically for making English paper pieced hexagons. On our most recent vacation I was able to complete about 150 of them and I take the bag to every non-working guild meeting I can. When company comes to visit, I pull it out and before I know it I have a few more done. My goal? A three year long committment to an end resulted Insanity quilt.

9. Claire Barth says:

The pieceocake website has a good video on how to do English paper piecing and also sells hexagon papers in various sizes.

10. Mary Ferreter says:

Got my magazine in the mail about the middle of the week. This is the first time that I have had a chance to sit and look through it. Lovely, lovely, lovely! I can’t hardly wait to start a new project with one of the patterns in it. I’ve always been a little leery of hexagons, but this magazine makes them look so much easier.

11. Linda Catlege says:

Received my magazine yesterday, love it, can’t wait to make my hexagon quilt. I have always loved the look of a hexagon quilt, especially in retro fabrics.

12. Karen says:

I’m a huge fan of Inklingo for hexies!

I love hexies. I learned long ago I’m not a round peg or a square hole. I’m a hexagon! I just finished a machine pieced hexagon quilt for the Geometry 101 fabric challenge at Keepsake Quilting. And I’ve just linked up with Inklingo–such temptation. If I didn’t have a half dozen other things going on, I could get lost there–very lost.

14. Debbi says:

I’m using a hexagon stamp from Stamps by Kate to make a hexie quilt. Saves a few steps from paper piecing. The stamp has cutting and sewing lines and I’m hand piecing them. Works great.

15. Kate Hardy says:

Grandmother’s Flower Garden: A Visual Guide (www.dreamcolourfabrics.com).

16. Kate Hardy says:

Grandmother’s Flower Garden: A Visual Guide is a great guide for making hexagons. It also has a yardage table for different size hexagons that makes calculating fabric requirements easy. Several other patterns available.

17. Julia Wood says:

My new book, Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts (with coauthor Peggy Rhodes), will be out in a few short weeks! It includes a unique technique for making hexies, along with patterns for 12 projects, and a wonderful reference section in the back. Hope you’ll all check it out along with theHEXIEblog.blogspot.com.

18. Gina says:

I can honestly say that I love every single pattern in this issue! That never happens, right? My daughter and I are paging through the magazine a second time to rank the patterns in the order i should make them! BTW, I use Inklingo and love it.

19. Kristen says:

I’ve been working on hexie quilts a lot lately. I’ve actually been embroidering centers for flowers for the last couple of months and can’t wait to finish this quilt. All the flowers are done, they just need those embroidered centers. :) Can’t wait to see this issue!

20. Jen Eskridge says:

I’m a huge fan of Hexagons Made Easy. The book uses fabric facings to finish the edges of hexagons making them ready for applique or reversible quilt designs. It is a new book from Martingale Press, shipping soon. http://reannalilydesigns.com/2013/01/hexagons-made-easy/

21. Lorraine says:

Not a new resource, but a big thumbs for Linda Franz and Inklingo!!! I know it is possible to quilt without printing cutting and stitching lines on the fabric, but why would I want to when perfection is right there at the tap of a key??!! My sister-in-law and I did a hexagon quilt long distance…I printed the shapes onto the fabric, she stitched, I stitched and we have an awesome quilt for her granddaughter. I’ll never go back to quilting without Inklingo!!!

22. Barb J says:

There is a website called paperpieces.com that sells pre-cut cardstock shapes for English paper pieces. They have hexies, half-hexies and lots of other shapes, and lots of different sizes. nayy

23. Deonn says:

What a terrific cover quilt! Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!
    I’m currently working on several projects to demonstrate Lori Holt’s new half-hexie rulers for an upcoming video tutorial with Riley Blake Designs, so I’ve been dreaming, planning, scheming in hexagons… those ruler/templates are developed specifically for use with precut squares… but wow! New HEXIE precuts? Revolutionary!

I’ve used Accuquilt die cuts for different sized hexagons that allow you to cut out perfect paper templates from a smaller size and the fabric from the larger size, always precise.

Sue Daley from Australia (a new designer for Riley Blake), sells precut hexagon and other English paper-piecing template papers in packages as small as 1/4″. Here is her link:
    http://www.busyfingerspatchwork.com/shop/product/hexagons/ Sue’s technique is my favorite of all time!

Mary Ann Ciccotelli is a personal friend and classmate from high school, and I agree, her dimensional folded hexies are terrific. Talk about “Hexamania”!

24. Pauline Sawatsky says:

I learned about hexies from Bonnie Hunter. She showed the group that went to Bali with her last August how to hand sew them. It was a great hand sewing project while we were all riding the bus and I use that project while traveling now. When that project is done, I will start another one. Using that graph paper was great for coloring in my own design. Thanks. I’m looking forward to the magazine and all the inspiration that will flow from it.

25. Amy says:

I can’t wait to buy this! I love hexagons and english paper piecing!

26. Anne Frascarelli says:

I was introduced to Hexamania by Mary Anne Ciccotelli of Sewing and Beyond. She takes the hexagon into the third dimension by folding the fabric. Can’t wait to see what what new inspiration this month’s Quiltmaker will bring. I can see new “toys” in my future.

27. Sallie Tucker McDaniel says:

I have been taking Quiltmaker for many years and have save them all. They go back to the issues numbered in 80′s and #151 just came out. I got my digital copy a few days ago and it is one of the best issues I have ever received. I am getting hooked on hexies fast so it really got my attention. Thanks for all your research on resources. Do you think the craze will last or will it be gone by this time next year? Sallie

>>Sallie, thanks for your kind words and so glad to have you in the QM family for so many issues. Hexies have been around for a long time (see the vintage quilt Diane posted above) and will be around for a long time. Their popularity may ebb and flow, but with all of the hexagon tools that are currently available, we think the craze will be hot for quite a while. We’ve already got more hexie patterns coming in future QM issues—couldn’t get them all into May/June.
    June

28. Paula Abney says:

Have you checked out the Hickory Nut for making & quilting Hexagons as you go? It’s a fun system to use.

29. Donna Harry says:

Just received the issue yesterday. It’s awesome!

30. LeAnn says:

I keep checking my mailbox everyday, hurry and get here magazine..I just love love Hexies..can’t get enough of them. I am so excited.