A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon

Our May/June issue has a theme of “Hooked on Hexagons.” I hope you have your copy with its four great hexie projects. We’re taking some time on the blog to talk about hexagons and their possibilities.

QM10513 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon

It’s been a lot of fun to research the hexagon within the quilting world. At times it’s been a little overwhelming. There are so many resources—myriad ways to create and combine these little darlings. No matter what quilt style you prefer or what techniques you enjoy, you can find a hexagon project that’s just right for you.

Here are a few basics that every hexie fan should know. These facts apply to hexagons where all sides are equal.

hexie1 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon1. In the quilting world, hexagons are measured by the finished length of one side.

hexie31 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon2. The distance across a hexagon from point to point is twice the length of one side.

hexie2 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon3. The distance across a hexagon from side to side is 1.73 times the length of one side.

4. Considering #2 and #3, it’s evident that the distance from point to point is greater than the distance from side to side. When oriented on point as in the diagram directly above, hexagons are taller than they are wide.

hexie41 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon hexie5 A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon

Hexagons can be oriented with the flat side running horizontally, or on point with a tip at the top and bottom.

hexie7 A Bit About the Infinite HexagonHexagons can be mixed and matched with other shapes in the family of 30, 60 and 90 degrees. They can be divided and subdivided into trapezoids, triangles and diamonds for infinite variety.

Now that we have all that behind us, let the hexie fun begin! Tomorrow: An introduction to Inklingo by its inventor, Linda Franz. You’re gonna love it!

This entry was posted in QM Issues, Quilting 101, Scrapbag and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Bit About the Infinite Hexagon

1. Betty Grove says:

Hexagons are one of the easiest to work with, I say that now; but when I first started working with them I was a mess. Since that time I’ve used them so many times in so many ways. Depending on the size you can use your scraps to create so many terrific items. This article is wonderful, shouldn’t be surprised as Quiltmaker is the one magazine that I know, with each issue, that I’ll find a number of projects that I must make. Thank you so much for a terrific magazine.

2. Pingback: Hexagon Quilting: A Different Kind of Nut | Quilty Pleasures Blog

3. Betty says:

I love the quilt on the cover of the magazine but don’t understand why not all the squares are the same size. Some look like partials. Is that the way the pattern is suppose to be?

4. M. R. Peebles says:

I loved the info given for hexagons as well as the different ideas and suggestions. I have been hand sewing a grandmothers garden quilt since 2008and would like suggestions on how to finish this quilt with a border. Any suggestions on how to hand sew the borders onto the grandmothers garden quilt? I would appreciate an article on sewing borders unto a grandmothers quilt.

5. Vickie Canfield says:

Never tried hexies. Looks very interesting and challenging.

6. Judy says:

I am hooked on hexies, they are so much fun but my non-quilty friends and family think I am crazy. I have found that if I pull one side of the fabric over the top of the other side and whip stitch you can not see the stitches. I pull it just a tiny bit over the top, usually the left side and stitch. I am so happy that I have finally found a blog about hexies.

7. Pingback: Back to Hexies: Moda’s Honeycombs | Quilty Pleasures Blog

I’ve been following Inklingo for the last couple of weeks. She’s like trying to resist fresh chocolate chip cookies from the oven! Thank goodness she lives in Ontario and I live in WA state. Any closer and I would be a goner!

9. Pingback: love those hexagons | amherst thread tales

10. Kris. Lindsay says:

I love hexagons made a hand piced grandmothers garden in King size for my bed.now working on king size scrap with 2 inch hexagons, using all the charm packs I collected over the years . Love hand piecing and quilting

11. Sheri Rhoades says:

i want to do a search and find hexigon quilt. still getting things to add to it. saw one on a dr’s office wall and I want one

12. Patty in Montana says:

Just for fun I ordered a bunch of hexies precut and put them into a candy tin with 2 and 2 1/2 inch squares, some needles and thread. I have heard “Gram, can you teach me how to do this?”, several times. Now there are two granddaughters that NEED to come to Grandma’s house more often, their creative juices started flowing and what fun this has been. We have flowers, pin baskets, an ongoing hexie something or other to see how big we can get it. I now have hexies in several sizes made from butcher paper and multiple sizes of squares for the fun. And, there is a grandson that “picks” at them, I think we have him hooked.

13. Nancy Dumeny says:

Great timing!!! I just spent the afternoon cutting fabric for my first-ever hexagon project to take with me when hubby is in the hospital later this month. Going to do a small quilt to start out with. It is called Elizabeth’s Prairie Garden from Pam Buda’s Prairie Garden Sewing Circle pattern. I am going to alter it a little by doing more flowers and less background. Hoping I like it, all the enthusiasm out there online is what got me interested in trying it.

14. Oh my. I was intimidated by hexagons before, just looking at the Y-seams they require and wondering how they are sewn together. Now that you’ve brought SCARY MATH into it, I want to hide under a table and admire others’ hexagon quilts from a safe distance! ;-)