Wool Applique, You Say?

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a wool applique nerd. Totally and completely.

wool pile 12 288x300 Wool Applique, You Say?

Here a stash, there a stash

Give me a pile of wool and needle and floss and I’m a happy camper.

wool pile 2 300x190 Wool Applique, You Say?

Everywhere a stash stash

I have a gigantic stash of wool, and these pictures only show about half of it. It’s a sickness. I know.

wool pile 3 300x187 Wool Applique, You Say?

And more stash. oh my.

But wool makes me so happy!

Jazz up a plain block with wool? I’m there. Make a table topper for every season? Got it. Make a wool appliqued quilt for just about everybody I know? You betcha. Wool applique a queen-size quilt? Been there, done that. (Probably won’t do again!)

BOM1 300x197 Wool Applique, You Say?

sneak peek!

Design a wool block-of-the-month for Quiltmaker? Ab.so.lu.tely!!

BOM8 300x222 Wool Applique, You Say?

Why, hello little bird!

When I was asked to design a wool block-of-the-month for Quiltmaker for  2014, I had to think about it for, oh, 2.5 seconds.

BOM5 300x285 Wool Applique, You Say?

surprise!

Then I started making a list. Theme? Layout? Size? Critters? Flowers?

BOM6 179x300 Wool Applique, You Say?

hmm?

I cannot WAIT for you to see what Quiltmaker has in store for 2014.

BOM7 262x300 Wool Applique, You Say?

Happy happy!

So watch for our Block-of-the-Month, starting in Jan/Feb 2014. And as we go along I’ll post little tips and tricks here, and answer any questions that you may have. And a little birdie told me that we will probably be kitting the blocks for each issue, so stay tuned for more info about that!

Until then, happy stitching!

Paula

P.S. Wo0l not your thing? No worries, we’ll be showing different options too!

About Paula

I'm an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker in Golden, CO. I've been quilting for 18 years, including teaching, long arm quilting, designing, and stash building. I also love to read, run, embroider, zentangle, watch Law & Order re-runs and spend time with my family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Wool Applique, You Say?

1. erica says:

Hi Paula,

Your not alone :) Can’t wait to see all the wool blocks in 2014. If you ever need more wool… We at Heavens to Betsy have wool fabric milled :) We offer remnant bags on our website which is perfect for Applique’ . We would love to sponsor a giveaway for when your Block of the month comes out.
    Erica

2. Cathy says:

I recently started doing a little wool applique. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us. Hugs

3. Paula says:

Hi Jean, yes wool can be expensive. I’ve been slowly buying it for years, and save even the smallest of scraps. Felt squares aren’t the same at all, though many people use that. You can’t use it for fusible, because it kind of melts and gets weird if you try to iron it for too long. But you can use it if you pin your pieces instead of pressing – it just won’t have that same cozy, soft feel of wool.
    Reusing old wool coats and such is a great way to get wool! Because it does that have loose weave, you have to “felt” it before you use it. Cut the wool blazers up into pieces, throw them in the washer in hot water, or swish them around in a sink in hot water, then throw them in the dryer. They will shrink up and the weave will get all sucked in nice and tight then you can use it. If the weave is still a little loose, you can repeat the process. Then you should be good to go! Let me know if you have any more questions! Paula

4. usairdoll says:

That is awesome news! I love working with wool and how exciting for next year. I’m bummed though it’s next year, hehe. Looking forward to your upcoming tips and tricks though.

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

5. debby warthen says:

Any news yet on where the next block Party will be or when an announcement will be made? Waiting anxiously!

6. Jean says:

Paula, can you tell us a little more about the wool fabric for applique? I saw some pieces in a LQS, but they were expensive! Felt squares for crafting have no weave, and old 100% wool blazers I could deconstruct seem to have too loose a weave for just a buttonhole stitch edge.

I’m thinking my pile of wool pieces and I are going to spend some quality time together soon, very soon.

8. Cathryn H says:

Not being a big fan of wool – most of which I’ve been around has been scratchy – I’m open to trying something small in wool. But for the most part, I will “convert” wool patterns over to cottons. Can’t wait to see the pattern :)

9. Jocelyn says:

I bought a few pieces of wool a couple of years ago, but never really used them. Not quite sure I could make something pretty :-( So I look forward to this coming series.

10. Vivian says:

As a new convert to wool (yes, it is addictive like everything else in quilting!), this is going to give me another reason to renew my QM subscription (next to Bonnie Hunter’s column)!