Hello Quilty Friends! My name is Shayla. Some of you may know me if you have won a prize, or had a question about one of our patterns. I am the newest member of the Quiltmaker Team. My official job title is Editorial Assistant and my days include:
- Emailing, lots of emailing! Which sounds pretty mundane, and somedays it is. But other days I get to communicate with our talented designers, see what our amazing readers have created and help someone solve a question! Those are fun days!
- Packaging and Mailing. Another not so glamorous part of the job, but when I have to mail approximately 200 mugs out, I see it as a challenge! (I feel worse for the mail man!) Besides, all the sweet words from prize winners are definitely worth it!
- Help run the contests and blog-hops! It is so much fun to give stuff away!
- Pick fabric for color options. I just got to pick out 10 different Christmas/holiday/winter themed fabric lines for our Christmas in July Color-options and giveaway!
- Sew-to-Speak column. That’s right… when you send in pictures, I personally look at them! It is my devastatingly hard decision every issue to choose what reader’s renditions get put into the Sew-to-Speak column. There are so many beauties to choose from! I am currently in the editing stages for the May/June issue!
- Excel sheets… I make a lot, I mean A LOT of Excel sheets. It is the only way I can keep track of what is going on, when, where, and for whom!
- My favorite task has been designing goodies for this years Block Party in Portland. I have been working on mugs, buttons and hoodies! They are fun!
- Another one of my favorite jobs is making and publishing the Quilty Quotes every Monday. Our talented graphic designer, Denise Stark, designed the layout. So, all I do is change the colors, words and art. But I enjoy it! And since it is Monday… here is the latest addition to Quilty Quotes from Quiltmaker:
So, that just about sums up what I do on a daily basis…. it seems like a lot when I stop and write it all down! Now, you might ask how I got into the quilting world. The truth is, I can’t ever remember not being in it! My grandma taught me to sew when I was six and I have been sewing and designing ever since!
Now, three generations of us work in all aspects of the quilting world. My grandma works at Buggy Barn, an amazing quilt shop in Reardon, Washington; my mom is a long-arm quilter and designs patterns with me; and I worked for the amazing pattern designer, Sue Marsh, and now I work here!
Here are few little tidbits about me:
- I LOVE to travel! My most recent adventure was to Iceland.
- I always have a camera in my hand or an arms length away.
- If I had to wear one pair of shoes for the rest of my life, I’d pick Converse! It is a goal of mine to own a pair in every color.
- I am a recent Architecture School graduate.
- I have three dogs that I love more than most people.
- Orange is my favorite color!
Now, to the good stuff…. Giveaways! I have three 100 Blocks Volume 1 issues begging to be given away! A
ll you have to do is comment on this post by Tuesday, February 26 at 11:59 PM and tell me when you started sewing or something we have in common!
The winners of the Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks Volume 1 issues are: Christi (#26), Kaye Littles (#44) and Jane Nachand (#28). Thank you to everyone who participated! It was fun to learn a little about everyone!