Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

It’s always fun to brainstorm with other staff members here at Quiltmaker. The ideas begin to flow and grow and pretty soon we have a whole long list. There are always more ideas than there is time and manpower but it’s a good problem to have.

lightbulb Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

You may remember that we featured a new Patch Pal quilt in every issue of 2011 and 2012.

QMMP 110600 RUFF 350 Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea QMMP 111200 POLAR 200 Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea QMMP 121000 OWL 250 flat Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

Several of the Patch Pals quilts

When we started to plan issues for 2013, we thought something fresh was in order. And that’s how Carolyn Beam’s idea for Big Block Baby Quilts was born.

In each issue this year, we’ll take a block, or several blocks, or maybe even units from within a block, and we’ll “super-size” them to make a Big Block Baby Quilt. The result is an easy, attractive quilt that would be a perfect baby gift for someone you love.

QMMP 130200 lavender 350flat Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

Lavender Bouquet from the Jan/Feb '13 Quiltmaker

In the Jan/Feb issue, we featured Lavender Bouquet, above, designed by Linda Hahn and shown in Fern Valley fabrics by Cary Phillips for Clothworks. We took this block:

lavenderblock Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

And enlarged it to make this baby quilt we called Go Baby!

BBB 450 Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea
Go Baby! is the Big Block Baby Quilt from Quiltmaker Jan/Feb ’13.

The quilt was made by Carolyn Beam, our Creative Editor. She used Peak Hour fabrics by Kellie Wulfsohn of Don’t Look Now! for Riley Blake Designs. Batting is from The Warm Company. Thread by Superior Threads.

Carolyn plans to donate each of the baby quilts she makes this year to a firehouse where her son is a firefighter or to another charitable organization. It’s nice to think these quilts will wrap a child in need somewhere.

The March/April issue of Quiltmaker is just starting to arrive in mailboxes and will be on newsstands Feb. 5. Here’s sneak peek of Zoo Parade, the issue’s Big Block Baby Quilt.

ZooParade flat450 Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea
Zoo Parade was made by Carolyn Beam in Alligator Tails fabric by Kathy Brown of The Teacher’s Pet for Red Rooster Fabrics. Batting is from The Warm Company. Thread by Superior Threads.

Many of us have occasion to make baby quilts during the year. When you do, I hope you’ll turn to Quiltmaker’s Big Block Baby Quilts as your first resource. There will be one in every issue!

This entry was posted in QM Issues, Scrapbag and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Big Block Baby Quilts: A New Idea

1. Sharon says:

Just finished the 2nd top in 2 days. Took me about 3 1/2 hrs. each. Great for philanthropy projects! Thanks! =)

2. Jenny says:

Since you are focusing on baby quilts, maybe you should mention that poly batting should NOT be used in baby quilts? Cotton is good, wool and flame retardant are even better. I don’t know what they do to poly to make jammies flame resistant, but poly batting will melt and bond to skin.

3. Terri Lynch says:

Hi Diane – my girlfriend Penny asked me to teach her how to make a quilt. The first person EVER to ask me!!! We chose “Go Baby” as her first quilt and we each made our own. Penny is doing her quilting now and soon we’ll be binding and sending you a photo! Thanks for all the great inspiration. Can’t wait for the March issue!
    Sew motivated! – Terri

4. ANGELIA BARGER says:

Love them, great idea, started new job this month and already have 3 co-workers that are expecting in next 6 months, this will be an easy way to get them done quickly

5. Mary says:

These are such a good idea, I love the animals too! I quilt for the charity Quilts for Kids, and these patterns would be great for the kids.

6. Vivian says:

This is a great idea for baby quilts! The big block concept was the subject of Evelyn Sloppy’s “Sew One and Your Done” book for That Patchwork Place (2006) so if your looking for blocks to use or layout ideas, she has some great ones in there too.

7. Gail says:

This is an okay idea, but I LOVED the patch pals. As a result I have each magazine featuring the animals. If you decide to bring these back I would be delighted. Maybe you could have focused on bugs (or flowers, etc) if you wanted to freshen things up. The patch pal concept is the best I’ve seen in a long time.

8. Also, in which issue will the Go Baby quilt be featured?

>>Reply: The Go Baby is featured in Quiltmaker’s January/February 2013 issue. -the QM Team

9. I love this idea, and I REALLY love the Go Baby quilt. Can you please tell me how big that finished? Thanks!