Pattern Corrections

We had a rough day at Quiltmaker last week. We learned that the pull-out pattern section for our Sept/Oct ’12 issue (No. 147) was printed at 97% of its correct size.

And then it got worse. We determined that the July/August issue’s (No. 146) pattern section had also been printed at just 97%. And an upcoming newsstand special: Quilts from Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks, Fall ’12. Same thing.

For all of the designs that are affected*, we have posted corrected, accurate patterns on our corrections page at Quiltmaker.com/corrections.

All of the digital versions (the Nxtbook flip book and the PDF versions sold at quiltandsewshop.com) are correct; they did not contain the error.

How much is 3%? In quiltmaking it can be a little or a lot. If we don’t cut our fabric patches accurately or sew 1/4″ seams, we make slight adjustments to get all the patches and blocks to fit, but we do expect the patterns we start with to be 100% accurate.

When dozens of people work on a tight schedule to bring you a finished product, and when those people are human, sometimes things go awry. We are sorry. We know it’s an inconvenience for our readers. We regret the errors. Please accept our apologies and our pledge to do better.

Kind Regards,

June Dudley
Editor-in-Chief
Quiltmaker

* Many patterns are not affected at all. For appliqué patterns and quilting motifs printed on the pattern section, the difference won’t show in a finished quilt. For quilts that are only foundation-pieced, the foundations all still work because the 3% difference carries through all of the foundations; the finished quilt will be slightly smaller.

The patterns most affected are those with foundations and templates combined with other piecing.

When using a pattern from one of these issues, please check the list below. If your pattern is listed, please use the corrected version. If it is not listed, you should have no problems using the printed version of the pattern in your magazine.

QM10712 Pattern Corrections

July/August '12 (No. 146)

July/Aug ’12 (No. 146)
1. My Mother’s Garden
2. Quiltmaker’s Garden, Part 3

Go to the corrections page.

——-

QM10912 Pattern Corrections

Sept/Oct '12 (No. 147)

Sept/Oct ’12 (No. 147)
1. Faith, Hope & Love
2. Oak Leaf Cluster
3. Country Morning
4. Summit Points
5. Quiltmaker’s Garden, Part 4

Go to the corrections page.

——-

(updated 9/1/12)

QM20912 Pattern Corrections

Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Fall '12

Quilts from Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks, Fall ’12
1. All Aglow
2. Fascinating Twist

Go to the corrections page.

About June Dudley

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Quiltmaker magazine. I have enjoyed quilting for many years. And I love to collect fabric, thread, books and all things quilty. I especially like batiks, bright colors, florals, dots, stripes and anything purple or teal.
This entry was posted in Scrapbag and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Pattern Corrections

1. Love the Quiltmaker magazine.

2. Diana says:

The new patterns will be wonderful to see and try. Always looking for new and this will be perfect. Diana

3. Linda Crowden says:

I am soooo excited about the new patterns. They give you the feel of some of the classic patterns that my grandmother would make, but have an updated feel. I am looking forward to the buckle project, the flowers will look perfect in my livingroom.
    Thanks for keeping us excited about sewing and give us confidence in your directions.
    Linda

4. Pingback: QM Rocks the Blocks: 20 Giveaways! | Quilty Pleasures Blog

5. Donna K says:

So glad I scrolled down on Facebook. I’m not good about reading the posts every day. Like other quilters, I probably wouldn’t have tackled these projects soon, so I now have marked them in case I make them later. I love Quiltmaker, and it’s the one I give as a gift subscription to a new quilting friend (or a friend new to quilting). Thanks for your prompt action to correct an unfortunate accident.

6. June says:

Like Diane said above, thanks for your graciousness. You can’t imagine the pain we felt when we discovered this; we want you to be successful with our patterns and posting the corrections was the fastest way to accomplish this.

VickiT–we found your email and all has been taken care of.

7. Nyla-Jean says:

All I can say is “Hugs!”

8. Carole S. says:

I agree with all the previous comments, and want to thank you for catching the mistakes and for putting all the corrections together in such an easy-to-locate place for future reference (Patterns tab, Corrections in the drop-down). So many times stuff gets jammed away in such a perfectly illogical spot that it can never be located once the initial message is no longer fresh.

You guys put out so much good information. A couple of boo-boos can be easily forgiven. Love your stuff!!!

9. Diane Harris says:

I’d just like to say that it’s incredibly encouraging when we have a serious mess-up and customers respond with grace—or chocolate! Thanks for the kind words. We have the best readers.

10. Nancy L says:

We all have days like that. It will all be good in the end. Love Love Love your magazine!

11. Martha Varino says:

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to print out the new patterns. Was planning on making a couple of them.

12. Jeannie Mercer says:

Thanks for the heads-up! Mistakes happen. Nobody died.

13. I hope y’all had a big bowl of chocolates in the office! ;-) I guess it is a good thing I don’t jump into projects right away and am kinda slow. Thank you for letting us know about the corrections… its just a little bump in the road, here~ have another chocolate! ;-)

14. Peg Spradlin says:

I’m so sorry this happened with the patterns. I know how hard the staff and editors work to make every pattern as mistake free as possible, because I’m a pattern tester for the magazine. But we’re all human and we all make mistakes, so I too hope the readers will be graciously understanding.

15. VickiT says:

How frustrating for all of you to find this problem and yes, for us also since we now have to print them out. But, at least when we do print these, we’ll have a better chance of creating a great quilt. Being relatively new to quilting, I need all the good luck I need. Thank you for letting us know and the corrections as well.

Also June ~ when you have time, although I can see why you’ve been so busy now; I have sent you two emails in the past 3 weeks or so asking for help. It would really help if we had an email address to use if we have questions about something on the blog since posting on the most recent blog post isn’t right as it’s a totally different topic (kind of like this is) but because I couldn’t locate any other email address under the contact list that pertained to a question about something on the blog, I chose to email you, the editor. Could you please look for those emails when you have time? Thank you in advance.