The QM Scrap Squad is a select group of seven QM readers. They take one pattern from each regular issue of Quiltmaker and make their own scrappy versions to inspire you.
Today’s featured quilt is by Jill Montgomery from Fairfield, Ohio. Jill blogs here, and you’ll hear from her in her own words below. She calls her quilt “Old Gory” and you’ll soon see why.
* * * * *
When I first saw the Old Glory pattern, I pictured the quilt in a Halloween theme with bubbles floating up the quilt from a spooky brew. I planned a color scheme and pulled fabrics that were leftovers from a set of Halloween wall hangings.
While on a weekend with quilty friends, I found the extra colors I needed for the strips and a wonderful border fabric with witch hats and shoes.
I also picked up some Mistyfuse to use for the applique. I wanted to use a very thin fusible that wouldn’t add bulk to the quilt.
For the bubbles, I decided to use Angelina fibers. I found two colors, and got 007 Bo-Nash bonding agent to fuse the Angelina to the quilt.
To decide which of the fibers to use (the Ultraviolet color is on top, Forest Ablaze on bottom), I pressed some of the fibers and pinned them to the quilt top with a piece of plain black fabric. My plan was to make a piece of fabric with the Angelina, adhere it to the black and then fuse the whole thing to the quilt.
QM Graphic Designer Denise Starck created a cauldron for me. I cut a piece of the Mistyfuse almost as big as the fabric that I needed for each piece. As you can see above, the Mistyfuse is see-through and is very delicate. It is like a webbing and it’s a lot thinner than even the thinnest fusible I have ever used.
In order to apply the Mistyfuse to the back of the fabric, I pressed the combination onto a non stick pressing sheet.
Once the fabric cooled, I peeled it off the pressing sheet, making sure the Mistyfuse was adhered to the fabric. It stuck to the pressing sheet a little, but once I helped it with a fingernail, it came right up.
Because the Mistyfuse isn’t attached to paper, I copied the cauldron shape to freezer paper. Using a pressing sheet under the fabric, I ironed the freezer paper to the right side of the fabric. I peeled it off the pressing sheet and cut out the design. When I had done this for all of my pieces, I pressed them to the quilt and was ready to stitch them down.
Using the AccuQuilt GO! circle die, I cut circles from the black fabric and used them as a template for the Angelina bubbles. I laid Angelina fibers over the fabric on the pressing sheet. With my iron set to silk, I folded the pressing sheet over the fibers and quickly ran the iron over the fibers twice with pressure.
The result is a dense mat of fabric with lots of straggling fibers. I attempted to use the 007 Bo-Nash bonding agent to fuse the pressed Angelina to the black fabric, but was unsuccessful. It seems that the bonding agent doesn’t bond on the cooler silk setting and I just ended up with Angelina and bonding agent pellets—nothing sticking together.
Then I tried using the Mistyfuse to attach the Angelina to the black fabric. This didn’t work so well either. So I gave up on using the black fabric altogether.
One thing about Angelina fibers is that they are very easy to over heat and burn. This is why a cooler setting on your iron is needed and you have to be sure to not over-press. When you burn the Angelina, the color changes. The ultraviolet Angelina changed to a metallic green when it was over-pressed.
I did still use the black circles to be sure the Angelina fabric was big enough for the GO! die and thick enough not to see through it. When I had Angelina fabric that was sufficient, I put it on the die…
…and ran the die through the AccuQuilt GO! This was an easy way to get the bubbles out of the Angelina fabric.
You can see above that the individual fibers go everywhere. They were all over the pressing sheet, all over the die and all over the ironing board and floor. Using the GO! helped to contain some of the fibers.
- I was worried about applying Mistyfuse directly to the Angelina because I didn’t want to burn the bubbles. After some experimenting, I found that by pressing the bubble with the Mistyfuse side up, I could see through the pressing sheet to tell when the Mistyfuse was hot enough and would stick to the Angelina.
You can see in this picture that the square of Mistyfuse is sticking to the pressing sheet so I know it was heated enough for it to stick to the Angelina as well. I could then carefully peel the pressing sheet off the Angelina and the Mistyfuse stayed on the bubble.
The next task was fusing the bubbles randomly spread out so things weren’t too cluttered.
I used a second pair of hands from my friend Barb when she was over for a quilting day. We’d remove a bubble and use the iron on a hot setting to heat up the quilt fabric.
When the fabric was hot, Barb stuck the MistyFuse-backed Angelina bubble to the quilt…
…and used a large candle with a flat bottom to press the bubble to the quilt. The candle helped stick it to the quilt without either of us burning ourselves or the Angelina.
When all the bubbles were fused down, I quilted large circles all over and stitched over the Angelina bubbles at the same time for a raw-edge applique feel. When the quilt was finished, the bubbles all seemed to poof up and the effect is quite nice!
Above is the cauldron after quilting. I satin stitched all three pieces down with matching thread. I’m so pleased that the orange fabric gives the spooky brew the motion of a rolling boil. I can’t decide if that boil or the bubbles are my favorite part of this quilt!
I did decide not to use the squares in the outer border. I didn’t want to break up the print in the border fabric. I like to name my quilts with a play on the pattern name so I have dubbed this quilt Old Gory!