Get your fabric, thread and thimbles ready for Saturday, March 17 which is National Quilting Day. Quilters around the U.S. will commemorate the occasion by teaching others, sewing for good causes and demonstrating their passion for all things quilty.
The National Quilting Association began sponsoring National Quilting Day with a resolution passed by members attending the 22nd Annual Show in Lincoln, Nebraska, in June 1991. The third Saturday in March is officially designated as National Quilting Day.
For the 22nd anniversary of National Quilting Day, NQA has published a free Ohio star pattern with a simple Mariner’s Compass center; the quilt is 56″ x 56″. It was designed by Martha Ethridge using EQ7 from Electric Quilt Company.
Several free patterns from the past are also available. In 2011, Build Your Own Log Cabin was featured.
Let’s Tie One On…For the Troops was offered for 201o and is still available.
There was Welcome Home in 2009…still there…
…and Happy Birth Day Baby in 2008, still yours for the taking.
How will you celebrate National Quilting Day? Here are a few ideas.
• Visit Quiltmaker‘s Pinterest board of Quilty Freebies and take advantage of them!
• Start a green quilt project since National Quilting Day falls on St. Patrick’s Day!
• Attach a binding to a UFO so it’s finished and you can celebrate!
• Visit a favorite quilt shop.
• Spend time planning the quilting for a top you’ve finished; see QM’s The Actual Quilting.
• Tidy up your sewing area to stoke your creativity.
• Browse your back issues of Quiltmaker for ideas and inspiration!
• Resolve to join a quilt guild in your area and to be the friendliest person there!
• Take advantage of FREE shipping on US orders of $25 or more at quiltandsewshop.com! Use coupon code LUCKQV at checkout. Valid 3/15/12 to 3/19/12 (Thursday to Monday).
However you choose to observe it, have a great and quilty day on Saturday!