In a Bind?

On January 1, I did an inventory of my UFOs. I was stunned to discover 43 quilts on the list! Yikes—how did that happen?

I’ve pulled a dozen of my favorites with the goal to get these quilted by mid-year. Three of the larger tops are already with the long-armer. I can quilt the smaller ones myself.

Binding is another story. I like hand finishing bindings and usually do it while I’m parked in front of the TV. But I have a lofty goal here. This gives me the opportunity to use Clover’s Wonder Clips which were reviewed in Quiltmaker’s March/April ’12 Inspirations.

get attachment 1 e1330714995855 In a Bind?

Clovers Wonder Clips

The Wonder Clips can be used to hold binding in place for hand-stitching–but I plan to speed things up by finishing my binding by machine.

I’ve sewn the binding on to a quilt top as I normally do.

get attachment 300x225 In a Bind?

Next, I wrap the binding around to the back of the quilt and hold it tightly in place with the clips. From the front, notice how the edge of the clip is in the ditch of the binding seam.

get attachment 3 e1330715239247 In a Bind?

front view

On the back of the quilt, the bottom edge of the clip shows you where the stitching will be. I’m spacing the clips pretty close together and I’m now wishing I had the package of 50 clips instead of just 10. I’ll be removing and positioning clips as I’m sewing.

get attachment 5 e1330715401135 In a Bind?

back view

Here is a look at the clips in the corner of the quilt.

get attachment 4 e1330715492643 300x223 In a Bind?

With the clips in place, I’m ready to sew. I’m using a matching thread to stitch in the ditch along the binding seam, opening the clips wide and carefully removing them along the way, so I’m not pulling the binding out of position.

get attachment 6 e1330715678775 In a Bind?

When I examine the finished results, I’m pretty pleased.

Unknown 300x225 In a Bind?

Oops. A little trouble in the corners probably means more practice positioning and removing the clips in there.

get attachment 7 e1330716410516 In a Bind?

But a little hand sewing can fix that.

get attachment 8 e1330716607541 In a Bind?Voila! A finished quilt!

get attachment 9 e1330716730975 In a Bind?I know I’ll be adding more Wonder Clips to my sewing room–the 10 piece package is $6.95 and a 50 piece package is $32.95. With 11 more tops to meet my goal, I should get enough practice on those corners and have this technique mastered in no time.

How many UFOs do you plan to finish in 2012?

About Eileen Fowler

I am an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker. My quilting hobby, that began over 20 years ago, turned into a career when I was hired by Quiltmaker in 2008. My quilting passion is slowly taking over every nook and cranny in my house. I have a supportive husband who makes it all possible.

12 Responses to In a Bind?

1. LeAnne L says:

Love the Clover clips. They work so much better than hair clips. When I’m hand sewing the binding down, I just slide the clip to the next section to sew. No need to even unclasp them. Best invention out there. Can’t wait to try them for machine sewing down the binding. I have some charity quilts I’m going to try that on.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Clover clips. I will soon purchase a package of 50 as the 10 in the small pack just isn’t enough. I hoard them like gold. BUT, pleeeeeezzzzzzeeeee–don’t make me count the UFO’s. I could be using that time to get something done.

3. Ruth says:

I have found that the hair clips that you bend to open work great for binding holders
    get them at the dollar store, $1 per dozen. Just a little thrifty hint. Ruth

4. Linda says:

I don’t think I want to count UFO’s this year!

5. Thought your readers might be interested in my Finish A Long that runs all year long. Each quarter they have a chance to win great prizes based on finishing some UFOs. The second quarter will start the beginning of April if you want to share it with them. They can get information here: http://gapquilter.blogspot.com/p/2012-finish-long.html

6. Kathi Miller says:

I wish my UFOs were to the binding stage. My embroidery machine was “in the hospital” for a couple weeks earlier this year so I used my backup machine to finish 4 or 5 UFOs. I had several that only needed borders added. Now that my machine is back I need to put on the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) and get the machine quilting done. I put my bindings on by machine too. Used to pin, pin, pin but am now using the Clover clips. Sooooo much easier.

Now for the really scary part – I have an Excel spreadsheet of my UFOs and what I call NESYs. NESY stands for Not Even Started Yet. That’s where you have the fabric and pattern all together but no cutting or sewing has happened. I like knowing what projects I have awaiting me. I include date, description and note whether it is a UFO or NESY. It’s anal but hey, I know exactly what I have.

7. Michelle says:

Thanks for sharing, I’ve actually not seen them but will look for as they look very handy, talk about UFO’s Hmmm, I do have a few!!!

8. Carol says:

I’m laughing so hard at the moment. I am surrounded by UFOs! My goal is to complete 1 a month…without starting something new. :)

9. Jennifer says:

I also did a UFO inventory earlier this year, came up with 37. Must, must get my tuckus in gear. I’ll be on the lookout for those clips, though! I, too, prefer a hand stiched binding, but in favor of having a usable quilt instead of a UFO, a number of these bindings are going on by machine!

10. Melody says:

Finishing that many quilts is going to be so wonderful for you. I only have about 5 but I’m getting the first ready for my first try with a LAQ now.

11. I have seen these clips but never used them – thanks for sharing how handy they can be. I’ll have to pick some up and try them out!!!

12. Barbara says:

I love the Wonder Clips for binding! What I usually do for the corners though is to put a few drops of glue on the corner before I put the wonder clips on. The glue really seems to help hold everything in place when you turn your quilt to sew the next side. Give it a try and I think you will be pleased.