QM Shorts: Batting Repurposed

QM Shorts: Thoughts, Tips or Tricks in just a few paragraphs!

*     *     *     *     *

When I finish quilting a project, I trim the backing and batting even with the quilt top and am left with a pile that looks like this.

batting1 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedI separate the fabric from the batting, like so:

batting2 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedThe fabric goes into my scrap basket.

batting3 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedThe batting goes (eventually) to where my cleaning supplies are kept.

batting6 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedHmm, guess I should get a bin of some type to hold it.

batting72 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedWhen it’s time to dust (which can be seldom at my house, but still), I pull out the batting and use it to wipe down any horizontal surface.

batting8 QM Shorts: Batting RepurposedThen it goes straight into the trash. It’s easy, it’s inexpensive and it’s green!

This entry was posted in Quilting 101, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to QM Shorts: Batting Repurposed

1. Judi McGuire says:

Thank you all for you commments and suggestions…you made me laugh with your ”
    writing in the dust” comments. I used to feel guilty but not any more…I have something worthwhile to do and someone else can dust after I’m gone! ILOVE QUILTERS!

2. valerie says:

love the dog bed idea :O) will have to talk to the local spca
    thanx
    blessings

3. Teresa Stees says:

I say if its big enough for a pot holder I’ll keep it. Never thought about using it for a dusting cloth.. Great Idea.. I may keep smaller ones now.

4. Ramona M says:

I let my grandson tear them up to stuff camping pillows. Was told they were the most comfortable of all the camping pillows

5. Pingback: QM Shorts; Giveaway! | Quilty Pleasures Blog

6. Bev Gunn says:

I take my pieces and cut them into squares to put into raggy-shaggy quilts. If they are wide enough they may end up in a “6-Hour Quilt” Tiny ones (less than 1″ wide) clean up the dust bunnies and threads on the floor around my cutting table before going into the trash!
    Ps. Love your scrap basket! Looks like it contains a couple of quilts already! I call them my back to front tops and do like a chinese coin setting to use them up.

7. Dana says:

What a great idea! Thank you.

8. Maryann M says:

Yes, I just used a piece of batting on my swiffer dustmop. I also cut small pieces of polyester batting to use as potscrubbers.

9. Peggy says:

Did you know you can collect even the smallest scraps of fabric and batting to stuff a pillow for your local dog shelter. They LOVE them for dog beds. And they are washable. Just a thought. Now I don’t feel so guilty for now using even the smallest pieces. And I don’t dust!

10. Cindy B says:

I can’t keep every bit of quilting leftovers so I draw the line at batting scraps. In the trash they go.

11. Reta Romine says:

Wrap a small piece of batting around a small wood block, mine is about 4 inches square. Keep by your sewing machine to wipe threads off your hands, especially when you’re using quilting gloves and free motion quilting.

Dust?!?!?! Isn’t that a 4 letter word? As a verb, it is seldom done at this house unless a non-quilter is coming to visit. I can write the great American novel in my supply ;}

13. Trudy L says:

These are all great ideas! Sometimes I cut mine into even strips and save them for tote bag and purse handles. I bet you could use some of the larger cuts for Swiffer wipes when you run out… my daughter has one and I think I just might save some for her for that purpose! She has wood floors in her house and doesn’t wet mop, but it can get costly to replace the cloths.

14. Batting scraps are great for wiping down the tracks of your longarm quilting machine. They gather and hold the dust and little threads that tend to migrate toward the tracks. Clean tracks make happy quilters!

15. Alice H. Dawson says:

Something else one could do with the batting pieces, zig zag together the pieces and then use it as a cleaning/dusting cloth:)

16. Regina says:

As someone who uses rewashable microfiber cloths for the rare times when I dust, and uses batting scraps for purse handles and other small crafties – I am cringing at the size of the scrap in your trashcan… while at the same time agreeing that batting is great for grabbing those dust bunnies and hanging on to them.