Secret Window Mystery Quilt – Christmas Part Two

Have you been working on your mystery quilt?

Hopefully by now you have had a chance to check out Secret Window, the Debbie Caffrey mystery quilt we started in the May/June issue of Quiltmaker. You can also check out the the blog posts about the Step 1 from Carolyn, Denise, and Paula (me – hello!). There is still time to join our online quilt-along over at Quilter’s Club of America too.

SW2 paula1 300x300 Secret Window Mystery Quilt   Christmas Part Two

In the new July/August issue of Quiltmaker, we gave you Part 2. Even though it’s the middle of summer, I’m still LOVING my fabrics -Winterberry Lane by Whimsicals, which is all about Christmas, snowmen, presents and peace on earth. Just wait till you see my border fabric – it’s a border print that was exactly the right width for the border (I love it when that happens!)

SW2 paula2 300x300 Secret Window Mystery Quilt   Christmas Part Two

In Step 2 you get to start putting a few pieces and units together and make some little units using either templates or foundation piecing. (I foundation-pieced mine – I’m not crazy about using templates.) (Nor am I crazy about foundation-piecing.) (But taking off those little papers was SO worth it.) (Because I love my quilt.) To print of multiple foundations you can click here.

SW2 paula3 Secret Window Mystery Quilt   Christmas Part Two

If you are working on your mystery quilt, keep us posted! I can’t wait for part 3!

Happy Quilting!

About Paula

I'm an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker in Golden, CO. I've been quilting for 18 years, including teaching, long arm quilting, designing, and stash building. I also love to read, run, stitch, play with my boston terrier and spend time with my family.
This entry was posted in Quilty Lifestyle, Scrapbag and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Secret Window Mystery Quilt – Christmas Part Two

1. I am cutting out part 2…very fun!

2. Joanne says:

I am ready for #3 step, hurry up next issue ha! Did the foundation and it worked good. Did not see the print out for the multiple printing of the square but did my own. I am making 2, one in browns and blues and the other Christmas, all from my stash.

3. kwiltnkats says:

Denise,
    The finished size of blocks for Part 2 are within the Quilt-Along blog post at Quilters Club of America. http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quiltypleasures/2011/06/summer-secret-window-part-2/ to access the link to join for FREE to the group. Sandi (On-Line Host)

4. kwiltnkats says:

Jo Herbel,
    Go to the Quilty Pleasures post http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quiltypleasures/2011/06/summer-secret-window-part-2/. There is a link to get you to the Quilt-Along. You will need to open a FREE account at Quilters Club of America to access the Group. Sandi (On-Line Host)

5. Kathi Miller says:

I paper-pieced my triangle pieces and they went together slick, slick, slick. I love to PP. It’s kind of like paint-by-numbers for quilters. All of parts 1 and 2 are ready to go, waiting for the next installment. I’ve been quilting for probably 20 years and this is the first time I’ve done a mystery quilt from one of the magazines to which I subscribe. For some reason Secret Window called to me and it’s been great fun.

6. Laura says:

I am not an inexperienced quilter, but I am at my wits end trying to piece together all the little triangles. I’m constantly ripping stitches out and starting over. I can’t get the pieces lined up. I guess I need to consider Foundation Piecing but don’t know anything about this method. Can somebody help me get started on FP?

7. Carol C says:

I also used the Tri Recs rulers and the units were completed faster than I thought. I have Step 2 complete, so bring on Step 3. I’m looking forward to seeing the mystery revealed.

8. Denise says:

Tri Recs ruler works great for these little pieces. I too am not fond of paper piecing, especially on so simple a block. Am having fun but would prefer t know what each individual block is suppose to finish to on this second part.

9. I was so excited to get working on the second part that I jumped in without realizing I could print off the on-line foundations! lol But I did those little guys first, now I’m working on the other parts… and loving it!!

10. Jo Herbel says:

I am hesitating on this second part. Directions do not seem to be as explicit as the first part and I thought this was a beginners quilt. I may have to wait until next issue to see that it is all about! I am looking ofr Sandi Delman’s “quilt-Along as mentioned in the magazine. Can’t find! Frustrated!