Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

A       CC       U       QUILT!

Gimme an A! Gimme a Double-C! Gimme a U! Gimme a QUILT! What you do get?

AccuQuilt!

That was the spirit of fun and excitement at AccuQuilt last week when I attended the Second Annual Barn Quilt Unveiling with more than 300 quilt enthusiasts.

accu1 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

You may have gotten wind of the recent AccuQuilt Barn Quilt Design Contest, where people submitted original designs for a chance to be featured in a big big way on AccuQuilt’s building. The winners of the contest were celebrated at the unveiling. What a party!

accu4 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

First, a tour of the AccuQuilt facility was delightful: every wall is tastefully adorned with a quilt. Each quilt was cut using AccuQuilt dies and cutters. The variety was astounding!

accu2 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Aren’t the feathers beautiful?

accu5 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

This quilt from the most recent edition of Quilter’s Home (one of our sister publications) was prominently featured. It was fascinating to see how and where AccuQuilt products are made and marketed.

accu10 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

The keynote speaker was Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day, whose recent release Quilt Blocks on American Barns fit in perfectly. Eleanor entertained the crowd with songs, stories and barn quilts galore.

accu21 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Diane and Eleanor

I had to grab a photo with Eleanor. She’s a happy, bubbly personality.

accu11 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Candace Door

We heard from first-place winner Candace Door of Sidney, Nebraska. Her “Sweet Rose” design features bright colors, piecing and applique—which all tie in to AccuQuilt and its products.

accu19 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Deonn Stott and Diane Harris

Deonn Stott of Heber City, Utah won second place for “Soldier’s Star,” but also won the hearts of everyone present when she explained that the block was in honor of her son Jordan, a combat engineer currently serving in Afghanistan.

accu20 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Soldier's Star by Deonn Stott

The block’s yellow patches represent yellow ribbons. More than a few of us wiped away tears—and we all hope with her for Jordan’s safe return. This was definitely one of the day’s highlights!

accu6 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

AccuQuilt CEO Steve Nabity

Dressed for the farm theme, AccuQuilt CEO Steve Nabity had some fun with the crowd.

accu16 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

An antique John Deere farm tractor was even on display! That’s Lee Nakamoto shooting photos—he’s Orchestrator, Consumer Intelligence at AccuQuilt.

accu17 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

The Harley Quilter and Diane

AccuQuilt even has what they call “The Harley Quilter.” I restrained myself and just stood behind the bike. But look below at Maureen Ose!

accu18 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

IQSC Communications Coordinator Maureen Ose with The Harley Quilter

Now that girl knows how to generate some PR, which is exactly her job as Communications Coordinator at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Favorite fact learned that day? Every AccuQuilt employee makes a quilt! What a great idea. Even The Harley Quilter made one. The back of his shirt says “Real Men Quilt.”

accu15 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

This was an “all hands on deck” event for the company, who waited patiently for the big unveiling just moments way.

accu12 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

And then it was time!

accu13 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

Down came the blue covering!

accu14 Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

“Sweet Rose” goes public at 17 feet by 17 feet! Isn’t she lovely?! Candace, Deonn and 300 enthusiastic AccuQuilt lovers cheered their approval. It was so much fun! Thanks to everyone at AccuQuilt for including Quiltmaker in this special day.

*     *     *     *     *

AccuQuilt offers quilters, fabric crafters and retailers a premiere line of fabric cutters, dies, quilting patterns and other quilt and fabric cutting solutions that help quilters quickly and accurately cut shapes for quilting and fabric crafts.

I’m curious: have you tried an AccuQuilt product? Would you like to? What have you heard about AccuQuilt? Please let me know in the comments.

For a chance to win your very own Go! Baby cutter from AccuQuilt, please enter our Salute to Plaid contest.

This entry was posted in Scrapbag, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Quiltmaker Visits AccuQuilt

1. Lisa says:

I bought my Accuquilt in Canada from an online store that seems to be the main supplier and distributor for these machines and dies – called stitchintheditch.com
    I love the machine, and all the great dies. Wish the special dies were available to our supplier — those few that they are trying out in the website are a real teaser– no one can get them anywhere — accuquilt tell us they may release them to distributors in the fall. We get amazing deals on the dies at this store and never have to look at ebay, plus of course we get the follow up – like one die had the blades showing and they immediately replaced it – we did not have to go back to the manufacturer.
    I love the applique dies, of course I could not make a rag ever again without the dies!
    Strips are essential. Enjoy reading what you have to say — look forward to more Accuquilt information.

2. Deonn says:

Thanks for sharing this event! It was such a pleasure to meet and hang out with you! And thank you for sharing Jordan’s story – that means so much to me! I was thrilled to be included in the festivities. I loved meeting Eleanor Burns, and was so impressed with the entire AccuQuilt team of this amazing, genius company that has achieved so much momentum in the quilting world. I’m hooked! In conjunction with the Barn Quilt event, AccuQuilt held a retreat hosted by Country Traditions there in Fremont, NE. They taught a class using their Drunkard’s Path die. Perfect curves, a center notch to align the pieces, and the blocks practically made themselves! I finished my lap-size quilt top in a day, and quilted it on a longarm machine before dinner–just in time for Sew & Tell that evening. Used the strip cutter to make my binding strips, then hand-stitched the binding on the road home somewhere in Wyoming. I can’t wait for my order to come and get going on more quilts!

3. deb m says:

That sounds like such a fun event. I’ve not tried an accuquilt cutter, but several of the girls in my quilt guild have them and love them. I’d love to play with the small tumbler cutter. I have an idea in my head and already have the fabric for it.

4. forestjane says:

I love my Accuquilt! If you get dies you know you’ll use a lot, they’re really not that bad in terms of price. Especially if you find deals on eBay! The 2½ strip cutter is a good multipurpose one – I cut my bindings this wide, and sometimes inner borders too. You can cut strips horizontally then turn them sideways on the same die, and cut them vertically to make 2½ squares. There’s all kinds of videos on YouTube with hints and tricks.

You also don’t need to go buy bunches of dies at once, start small and let your family add to your collection at birthdays and holidays—it makes you easier to shop for!

5. Kate says:

I would love one, but they seem like a endless money sink, each die is so expensive and who only does one kind of shape? Maybe when I win the lottery, cutting is my least favorite part of quilting.

6. Kim says:

It does look like a really good time!
    Gotta love Eleanor……always has a smile on her face.

Happy sewing

7. I have a Go cutter and love using it. Cutting with a rotary is hard on my joints, and I find the cutter, easy to turn and cut the fabric with. My problem is I keep getting bad dies. Some came warped, a few bent when used and the newest one cuts ragged on one edge, so I seem to have bad luck. But, the company replaced all the ones I got that were bad. I just added a photo of a quilt I did with the chisel die, on my blog.

Debbie

8. Deb says:

Congratulations to the winners! I absolutely LOVE the winning design! Is there a chance that barn quilts will be sold with that pattern on them? I have a 4×4 one on my wish list for the side of my garden shed. This barn quilt winner would fit just perfectly. No, I don’t have a GO cutter but have been impressed with everything one can do. The quilt designs that won prove it’s a great tool!

9. Jocelyn says:

I have not tried the cutter. It looks like a wonderful tool to use for accurate cutting.

10. Jane says:

I would love to try one of these. Inaccuracy is my middle name! Maybe once I get settled into my new space. Looks like this was a fun event!

11. I have yet to get my hands on an Accu-Quilt machine, but I’m dreaming, and saving, and scheming, and planning, and playing along on blogs trying to win one *grin* I hear such amazing (GOOD) things about them! Definitely on my wishlist. My birthday just passed….is it OK to admit I was slightly disappointed there wasn’t one wrapped up with my name on it? Maybe for Christmas?? Dear Santa,…..