We’re down to the very last Spinout reveal! We tried something new this time around, giving each Scrap Squad member a separate post. We shared more detail about each quilt. How did you like it?
Today’s featured Scrap Squad member is Dionne Gordon from Bellevue, Washington. Dionne has a blog you’ll want to check out called Sew Many Quilts. I love the blog’s name!
By way of review, the Scrap Squad is eight select QM readers who get one pattern from each issue before publication. They make a scrappy version of the quilt and we reveal them here when the magazine debuts. This is a dynamite bunch of gals!
The project for July/August was Spinout, designed by Barbara Cline. This is the original version featured in Quiltmaker. It was made in Art Gallery Fabrics.
Dionne may have been the most inventive of all! This girl knows how to cope! Here’s what she shared:
When I originally made the top I didn’t put as much thought into selecting the flower fabrics for the pinwheels, which I was thinking would look like flowers against a grassy green background.
But when I was completely finished I realized that some fabrics didn’t stand out well enough against the others.
What was I to do? I went to my local quilt shop and picked up some fabric dye: Textile Color for natural or synthetic fabrics by Jacquard. I like this dye because it works well with all types of fabrics, but especially well with cottons. I don’t have to pre-treat the fabrics to achieve a good result and I have a good measure of control.
The dye can be thinned with water to modify the color slightly, or you can use an airbrush. I used 103-Orange and 125-Periwinkle. (I think I could have lightened the color more for a better effect.) If you need to lighten it more than can be achieved with water, you can mix it with 123-White.
First I masked off the block with blue painters tape (very gentle adhesive, works well on fabrics) and then I applied the dye directly to the fabric. After it dried I heat set it with a hot iron for 30 seconds on the reverse side of the quilt top.
Another advantage of this dye is that it rarely bleeds. I’ve only washed in cool water but never had a problem yet. The colors don’t seem to fade over time. The oldest item I’ve dyed is a little over a year old, so I’m not sure how long it remains fade-resistant.
Below is Dionne’s finished quilt. You can see that she dyed two pinwheels. The pale pink one from the photo above is now a soft orange (near the bottom). Just to the right of the upper yellow pinwheel is the one she dyed periwinkle.
A few things stand out about this quilt: Dionne used some light lights and some dark darks, which almost always works (as it does here). And look at the variety of greens in her background and her fun pieced border: there are yellow-greens, bluish greens, grass greens and lime greens.
This quilt could have been inspired by a summer flower garden. Imagine marigolds, impatiens, hydrangea, iris, roses, bachelor buttons, morning glories and all their foliage. Spot on!
* * * * *
The Scrap Squad is working on its next assignment. Those quilts will debut in August. I hope you’ll be with us then.