100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

A snowflake quilt has been on my design agenda for some time now. I decided to work on that goal by creating a block for Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks, Volume 2. With only an inkling of an idea floating in my brain, I jumped ahead by collecting lots of icy silver and blue fabrics.

As I pondered over how to design a foundation-pieced snowflake in Electric Quilt, I did some research. What I found was fascinating. Have you heard the theory that no two snowflakes are alike? (I guess I’ll need to design more.)  Did you know that all snowflakes start as droplets that develop into six-sided prisms? And according to a story in the New York Times, Guinness World Records lists the world’s largest snowflakes as having fallen in January 1887 at Fort Keogh, Montana; allegedly one measured 15 inches wide! (Makes my 12 inch snowflake seem a tad small.)

My husband doesn’t see the design as a snowflake at all. He keeps referring to it as a “starship fleet emblem” or “galactic interspecies peace symbol”. (I think somebody is watching too much SciFy.) But if that’s what you see, to you I say, “Live long and prosper!”

icecrystal lineart 100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

I auditioned several silver prints. When I switched them to powdery blues against the blue batik background, the effect seemed much more dramatic. Doesn’t it look icy and transparent?

ice crystal 300x300 100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

Ice Crystal by Eileen Fowler

Now I need a quilt project. How about this tree skirt?

icecrystal treeskirt 100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

Or this setting found on page 12 for a wall hanging or throw?

icecrystal quilt 100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

How would you use the block? Leave me a comment by 10 am Mountain time, Monday morning, November 15th, and I’ll draw a random winner for a copy of 100 Blocks, Volume 2.

From Eileen: Thanks for all the creative ideas! I can’t wait to make some more snowflakes so I can use them. A random winner has been selected and notified by email. Check out the list of all the blog tour winners.

About Eileen Fowler

I am an Associate Editor at Quiltmaker. My quilting hobby, that began over 20 years ago, turned into a career when I was hired by Quiltmaker in 2008. My quilting passion is slowly taking over every nook and cranny in my house. I have a supportive husband who makes it all possible.
This entry was posted in 100 Blocks, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

138 Responses to 100 Blocks Volume 2: Ice Crystal

1. Thank you so much for doing this, it’s very nice and useful. You can find here some crystal blocks. Heart touching Crystal gifts from 3d laser blessings stands tall and score incredible gratefulness. The remembrances are dazzling and different to make pride ownership after accepting them as blessing by the decision made through 3d laser endowments.

2. Kathie S says:

I misssed the date to enter—but I LOVE the block, and yes it is very wintery—the beautiful part of mother natures havoc anyway. Very unique–I think it looks like an ice crystal. Beautiful.

3. Rachell says:

So where is this block pattern? I gotta have this pattern! Last year I ordered and tried out Quiltmaker’s “Snowflakes” pattern (do you want a picture?) and loved it! More snowflakes, yay! Not for nothing do I live in Utah, the “Greatest Snow on Earth”.

4. Krist Van Os says:

I love the tree skirt – But, I’m pretty sure that it is pretty time consuming so…if I made one I would most likely display it as a pillow – Simply Gorgeous!!!

5. Leah says:

Great block! Love the colours…

6. Shelley C says:

It is a gorgeous block! I think I would make a winter runner with it for my sister. I made her winter placemats in the colors of your block so they would coordinate beautifully!

7. I love this block! I would use it so many ways!
    I like the tree skirt but I’d make little star blocks to put into the spaces, so each point of the flake touched another!
    Thank you for the block.
    Take care, Leslie

8. Tanja says:

I love the detail of this beautiful block. I would use some shimmery fabric for this snowflake to make it sparkle on any project.

9. Michele Rutolo says:

GORGEOUS block! Looks like a snowflake to me, and in fact one of the best I’ve seen. I would make it into a tablerunner for all to see, altho I do like the tree skirt setting too. However, it’s too beautiful to use under a live tree, that’s for sure.

10. Diana says:

I would lay it at the bottom of my bed with some small pillow at the top with single snowflakes. What a beautiful bed I would have. I could put my white blanket in under it at the bottom so if I need a nap my beautiful snowflakes won’t be bothered with my feet kicking. I love this look.

11. Sharon says:

I think this block is just beautiful!! It would look awesome as a table runner and placemats…I would just hate to see someone spill something on it though!! It would also make a beautiful bed runner!

12. Ella says:

I would make the tree skirt! I love that!♥

13. Wyo Di says:

Esquisite block! Having lived in both Wyoming and Idaho, this block is indictive of winter but it also reminds me of the rare glimpse of the Northern Lights!

14. Terri in BC says:

Beautiful block! I think I would do it as a tree skirt in aquas and purples, but I think I would do each snowflake a little differently, just like real snowflakes!

15. Pamela Reim says:

Table runner would be my first choice as I have trouble committing to more than 3 of any block. I see it with some glowing colors in the middle like there is fire in the middle. A great block.

16. Alicia Key says:

What an incredible block! I’d love it hanging on the wall. Looking forward to getting the new 100 blocks book.

17. Lynn Hunter says:

beautiful block! would love to use it!

18. Sandy Humphreys says:

What an awesome block? I think this block could be used to make a gorgeous purse.

19. Diane Steele says:

This block just blows me away! How about a mantle scarf, so the snowflakes hang down over the mantle?

20. Jill says:

I would use your beautiful block in a winter table runner for my sofa table. I think 3 or 5 of the blocks would look gorgeous there.

21. THe Snow flake is beautiful. I thoink it would be great as a calendar page for July to help cool me off tin the middle of the steamy summer.

22. Barb Roesslein says:

Love snowflakes as motifs (don’t care for the real kind, live in WI) and love to do paper piecing so your block is just what I have been looking for. Love the tree skirt idea. This block could be used in so many different ways and can be kept out all winter long not just for Christmas. Like placing the block on a towel for the kitchen or bath. Even as a decorative potholder.

23. Mystica says:

The block is so intricate that I would like it as a table topper for a coffee table where it may not be covered with other stuff so that the design could be seen.

24. Billie K says:

It does look hard.

25. kim Z says:

This block looks very interesting, maybe a little difficult for me to make. But would love to try it. Beautiful snowflake…….

26. Lori Simpson says:

What a beautiful block. That would make a gorgeous center block. Then I would design a quilt around it. Maybe add some smaller versions as an outer border.

27. Annie says:

I love the block! I think the quilt layout is stunning as well as using the blue/silver color combo. Way to go!!

28. Rhanda says:

Pillows! Yes, definitely, pillows! Or, maybe a wall hanging. Or a lap quilt. Or your tree skirt idea is fantastic. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for offering the giveaway.

29. Joy says:

I would probably sew it all up as the tree skirt. What a great idea!!

30. Debbie in Wa says:

Fantastic Ice Crystal. I would love to try it on several projects!

31. Nancy B from Many LA says:

I’d put it on a sweatshirt jacket

32. Lina says:

Ice Crystal is stunning! I think I would make it into a wallhanging with only a single block. More would detract from the design.

33. Gwen says:

The block is so fantastic. I could see them set by three and put in a wall hanging. I really like it.

34. Susan says:

I agree with all that this pattern is gorgeous and the colors great! Your artwork, showing the possible projects, is perfect! I am thinking this pattern could be reduced in size and used as a border on a quilted winter scene for a wall hanging. Thanks for sharing!!

35. MoeWest says:

Your colour choices are perfect! It does look icy. I love the tree skirt. A tablerunner like one side of the tree skirt would look nice too, with two blocks on point in the centre.

36. Kim says:

Love this block! I would make a lap quilt and do some blocks in blue batiks as you did and some blocks in red/orange batiks and call it my fire and ice lap quilt. Then I would use it to sit by the fireplace on a cold snowy day here in New England!

37. Deb says:

I love the block and would use it for a tree skirt. I have never had a tree skirt in my life. Sad. This block would make a good one.

38. Amy C says:

I think it is beautiful! I would love to have it in a table runner.