Theresa “Graduates” from Quiltmaker

After working as the graphic designer on Quiltmaker magazine for over 26 years (sometimes part-time, most recently full-time), Theresa Eisinger “graduated” from our pages at the end of last year and enrolled in nursing school. It’s been a longtime dream of hers and, although we miss seeing her every day, we’re thrilled for her. She’s almost done with her first semester and knows that this was definitely the right choice.

The good news is that she left us with a file full of designs, so she hasn’t disappeared from our pages at all. And we’ve already seen a new quilt from her since she’s been in school–she worked on it over Spring break. Here are two of her designs that have appeared in print since she left our staff.

12171 pattern img Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Summer Siesta 96" x 96", designed by Theresa Eisinger, pattern in Quiltmaker May/June '10, kit available.

12410 pattern img Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Potpourri Petals 26.5" x 37", designed by Theresa Eisinger, pattern in Quiltmaker's Small Quilts Summer '10, kit available.

We had a farewell party for her. Let me first explain that I had a really bad case of laryngitis. The day I headed to the bakery to order a farewell cake for Theresa, I could not talk at all–in fact, I couldn’t make a peep, a squeak, a croak–absolutely no sound whatsoever. So I took a picture of the last quilt of Theresa’s while she was still on staff, wrote out what I needed and headed to the bakery. “Can I help you?” they asked as I walked in. I nodded and handed them my note, thinking that I was really glad I wasn’t at the bank, and pointed my way through the order.

11414 pattern img Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Petit Jardin 18" x 21", designed by Theresa Eisinger, pattern in Quiltmaker March/April '10, kit available.

I was thrilled with the cake Child’s Pastry Shop created using a picture of Petit Jardin (above) as the inspiration. Look at the details they created from frosting–the fabric designs in the watering can and flowers, the variety of scrappy greens in the background and even buttons for the flower centers! (And it tasted great too.)

petit jardin cake 300x275 Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Cake inspired by Petit Jardin

At her farewell party we presented her with a quilt (the pattern will be coming in our Nov/Dec ’10 issue) that was made by her Creative Crafts Group co-workers, which include the staffs of Quiltmaker, Quilter’s Newsletter, McCall’s Quilting, SewNews and Creative Machine Embroidery.

TheresasFarewellQuilt 299x160 Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Theresa's Farewell Quilt

Besides her quilt design abilities (she is so good with clever-but-still-simple designs), we do miss Theresa’s care and compassion (which is why we know she’ll make a fantastic nurse) and her quick laugh. But we still get to see her for an occasional lunch–she’s not too far away.

Theresa Cake 215x300 Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Theresa with Petit Jardin--the quilt and the cake.

TheresaPeg 300x264 Theresa Graduates from Quiltmaker

Peg Spradlin, Theresa's sister and a longtime home sewer for Quiltmaker, came from Nebraska for Theresa's party.

Since I’m months late in posting this, and it’s our Small Quilts Celebration week, leave a comment by noon MST on Friday, May 14 telling what your dream job is and I’ll pick a random winner of our Small Quilts issue.

About June Dudley

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Quiltmaker magazine. I have enjoyed quilting for many years. And I love to collect fabric, thread, books and all things quilty. I especially like batiks, bright colors, florals, dots, stripes and anything purple or teal.

28 Responses to Theresa “Graduates” from Quiltmaker

1. June says:

I’m glad to see so many of you have your dream job. Among the rest it sounds like we’ve got a lot more quilt shops that will be opening up! Jessica (comment #1) was selected as the winner.

2. Pingback: And the Winners of a Small Quilts Issue Are . . . | Quilty Pleasures Blog

3. Kay says:

My dream job would be delivering babies. I can’t get enough of new babies. After that it would have to be working at anything to do with quilting.

4. Mary says:

I’m retiring in a week from teaching high school and will have the dream job of babysitting my first grandchild this fall. I can’t wait. My other dream job would to be work in or own a quilt shop. Maybe someday. . .

5. Sarah Vee says:

My dream job changes all the time. My dream would be to make a Living while having a life – quilting, writing, and raising my children. I’m fortunate to stay home for now. Hopefully I can work in the quilting industry as they get older and I have more time to create. Thanks for the chance!

6. Angie says:

I think my dream job would be a stay-at-home-mom. I work outside the home now and, though I love it, I’m always wishing I had more time to quilt, decorate, and just be with my kids.

7. Lisa England says:

Theresa’s old job at Quiltmaker sounds like a dream job to me. I admire her though for not giving up on her longtime dream. Her future patients will be lucky to have her!

8. Cathy says:

Teaching high school math and that’s what I do now. Maybe half time so that there would be more time available for quilting.

9. Mary Kastner says:

Dream job would be to own a quilt store. I would be so happy!
    Mary

10. Melody says:

I am living my dream. I am a SAHM to a wonderful little boy and a wife to a good man. Perhaps when by the time my little one grows up I will have a new dream to pursue but for now I am content.

11. Sequana says:

My dream job is the one Martha Stewart has. In fact, I’ve always wanted to BE Martha. *S* I’d even take the little jail term.

12. Nancy says:

I have my dream job–I am now retired and can sew and design quilts when I want.

13. Mandy says:

I’d love to open a quilt store with long arm and a go cutter!

But I’m a teacher… just starting… maybe that it’ll be a plan for retirement in oh, 30 years or so :)

14. Darlene B says:

I work part-time as an administrative assistant. That’s what I’ve always wanted to do! But if I could make money by making quilts….that would be fantastic!

15. Kristen says:

My dream job would be to be able to be a stay at home mom! I would love that. I’d also love to teach children to quilt. It is such a wonderful hobby and kids aren’t afraid to try different things. Imagine the possibilities! :)

16. Good luck to Theresa! I think her sister has my dream job. ;-)

17. SewLindaAnn says:

Wow, I’m sure you all will really miss her. It’s nice to see people follow their dreams though. My Dream job, I have as a homemaker. I guess the dreamy part would be if there was a 2nd income that appeared as my paycheck!!

18. Betty says:

hmmmm…I had a dream job, working with and teaching high school students English. But then, I retired and so now I have another dream job of sewing, quilting, designing, and writing all day long at home or at my favorite fabric store. I love working with people who are loving working with fabric!

19. I would love to be able to stay home and take care of my family while making a living with my quilting/crafting. I would love to be able to be around to help my kids raise their kids and not be at some 9-5 job instead.

20. Karen says:

Dream job-preschool teacher or work in a quilt shop.

21. Jocelyn says:

My dream job would be owning a quilt shop. I remember telling this to someone 20 years ago. As a stay at home Mom, I did not have the opportunity to own a quilt shop, but I feel that I had just as much of a dream job by staying home with my children.

22. PaulaK says:

I have it pretty good being a freelance graphic designer and grandkid babysitter but I would love to be a fabric designer – maybe when these kids get a bit older!

23. Robyn Brown says:

Dream job would be to work with horses.

24. I am living part of my dream job (machine quilter), but I would also like to teach quilting and design quilt patterns. And I would like to be an author of quilt books… story and patterns.

25. Katie B says:

I’d love to be an author of children’s books. Or a stay-at-home mom/crafter!

26. Donna g says:

I have my dream Job, I drive a straight truck all over this beautiful country and get to see gods beauty and get paid to do so. I get to quilt here in the truck until the project gets too big then we have to spend a night or two to finish a project In a hotel then mail it off to the person whom I made the quilt for. They usually don’t know about the quilt and I love getting that surprised phone call telling me they received it in the mail. I love it, always learning new stuff.

27. Donna g says:

I have my dream Job, I drive a straight truck all over this beautiful country and get to see gods beauty and get paid to do so. I get to quilt here in the truck until the project gets too big then we have to spend a night or two to finish a project then mail it off to the person whom I made the quilt for. They usually don’t know about the quilt and I love getting that surprised phone call telling me they received it in the mail. I love it, always learning new stuff.

28. Jessica says:

I’m in my dream job!! I’m a speech teacher (giving speeches, not speech therapy) at a local high school.

If I were ever to leave this job — it would be for full-time crafting. ;)