Introducing Edyta Sitar

Several Quilt Markets ago, I was introduced to Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts by Lissa Alexander, Marketing Director for Moda Fabrics. Edyta’s quilts are amazing. She has a unique knack for combining batiks with traditional fabrics to create her designs. Her applique is beautiful, her piecing exact and her designs are fun. We have worked with her designs in several of our issues, including her latest, Michigan Crossroads, in Jan/Feb ’10.QMMP 100200 Edyta Sitar 239x300 Introducing Edyta Sitar

“Hi! I’m Edyta Sitar, but you can call me doll, honey or sweetheart which is what my husband calls me since he can’t pronounce my name correctly. You may think you’ve seen me on Dancing with the Stars….I may have the same name, but I assure you I don’t have any moves. One thing I can do is quilt!

Seriously, you may know me as the designer for Moda’s Laundry Basket Quilts collections. I have designed several collections and corresponding patterns which you can view on my website . My most recent collection, which is available in shops now, is the Close to My Heart collection which I have dedicated to my friends and fellow quilters. On one piece in the collection, you will find sentimental notes about friendships. My new book, Friendship Triangles, published by Landauer Publishing, is a book on fun fabric exchanges using half square triangles. So, now you know three things about me; I’m funny, I love quilting with my friends and I’m inspired by my friendships. Quilting is my true passion and I’m thankful everyday that it’s my profession too!

My most recent projects for Quiltmaker were a block in the 100 Blocks special issue and Michigan Crossroads in the Jan/Feb. 2010 issue. I love sharing my favorite quilting projects through magazines to help inspire others to reach for a needle and thread and start stitching.”

About Carolyn

I'm the Creative Editor for Quiltmaker magazine. I've been quilting for almost 30 years. I'm an avid quilter, but I also enjoy scrapbooking, knitting, reading, and hanging out with friends and family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Introducing Edyta Sitar

1. Sandra Swafford says:

I was at the TVQA event in Winchester TN yesterday, June 20, 2013. I loved the presentation and I really loved your humor, dedication, and love for quilting. You are a true insiration. <3 it. :-D

2. Diane Hubble says:

I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed the lecture and workshop you taught at Macomb County Quilt Guild. You are such an inspiration. I cannot wait to finish my Broken Star.

3. Linda Bernhardt says:

Great classes in Nashville! Beautiful quilted examples of colors, patterns & workmanship, clear & orderly lessons, precise directions and an upbeat & well prepared instructional program. Thanks!!

4. Karen Keller says:

Hi Edyta

I’m vending at the Marshall quilt show today. I took your workshop back in January. You and your quilts are so inspiring. I have been designing quilt patterns that utilize recycled fabrics. My question is from the business stand point. How do manage your time between family and business so you can accomplish as much as you do? Any pointers?

Thanks!

5. Deb Montague says:

Edyta – I saw you speak last night at the Cameo Quilt Guild. I am a brand new quilter and am so excited about getting some more experience under my belt.

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed listening to you last night and to see all of the BEAUTIFUL quilts you’ve made ! You are such an inspiration. I will definitely be following your work going forward, you’re very talented and creative !!

My friend who is a long time quilter has been trying to encourage me to quilt more, but my focus thus far has been machine embrodiery. But I think after last night I need to make quilting a priority as well – maybe even combine the two :) Thank you again !

6. Sandy Lewis says:

Do you currently have any patterns for queen or king size bed quilts? I love your Friendship Triangles book , we may try to adapt one of the patterns in it into a queen or king. Our quilt group makes a raffle quilt each year with proceeds going to Delaware County Senior Center. Thanks for your wonderful books.

7. Charm Reimer says:

Edyta…I am getting ready to retire and spend the rest of my life quilting!! You are featured in the Americal Patchwork & Quilting April 2011 issue…and you mention that your husband built your sewing tables and your fabric storage. Does he have plans or dimensions?

8. betsy jarosz says:

I made your Michigan Crossroads………I worked totally from my stash, which is always more fun digging thru thingst to get the right values and textures…. Thanks for the inspiration the quilt was super fun to work on :)

9. Edyta Sitar says:

“Thank you for your kind words. I’m so excited that you are going to be
    making some of the quilts. A lot of the fabric comes from my collection
    Close to My Heart from Moda. It’s a wonderful collection where you will find a mix of batiks and traditional fabrics together in one group. The large floral is #42006-11 and the batik in the basket quilt is #42010-32. Visit Moda’s website for detailed pictures of all the fabrics. Happy quilting”.

10. Jan Miller says:

I love your new book FRIENDSHIP TRIANGLES and want to make a couple of the quilts Where can I find the large floral used in the outer border for the quilt on the cover and the large floral for the Basket Quilt on page 73? I have looked alll over the web and no luck!!! Would appreciate any help you can give THANKS!!

11. jaybird says:

it cracks me up that your hubby can’t say your name right… oh well!! … keep making beautiful quilts.. you are quite the inspiration!