Calling Electric Quilt Fans

I can tell from your comments that many of you visiting our blog tour this week are EQ users. Do you know about the QM-EQ Design Contest? There’s a post here with info and you’ll find the entry form and official rules here.

Jenny at EQ made a sample to show a virtual quilt with virtual quilting:

vol3 EQsample Calling Electric Quilt Fans

QM-EQ Contest Sample: Quilting Designs from Vol. 3

Start designing–we might be making your design in a quilt! The Grand Prize includes Quiltmaker making the winning design into a quilt that the winner will get to keep. Entries are due by 10 pm MST on 12/1/09. You can use any combination of quilting designs from any of the seven volumes of Quilting Designs.

Tell me by 3 pm MST Friday, Nov. 13 if you use EQ to create your own quilts. (And, yes I’ll give away another copy of 100 Blocks to a random commenter.)

Congratulations to Norma #2 who wins a copy of 100 Blocks. Now, for all of you who design with EQ, I want to see your submissions into this design contest!

About June Dudley

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Quiltmaker magazine. I have enjoyed quilting for many years. And I love to collect fabric, thread, books and all things quilty. I especially like batiks, bright colors, florals, dots, stripes and anything purple or teal.

36 Responses to Calling Electric Quilt Fans

1. Lori R says:

Don’t have EQ yet. My sister is my designer.

2. I use my EQ6 to work on the quilt designs I make to teach quilting classes. I love having the ability to put my thoughts and ideas in a visual form, as well as trying out different color schemes. I haven’t actually tried the quilt design part, but will have to dig out the book and figure it out.

3. Dj says:

I’ve never used EQ. I generally use other people’s designs.

4. Calicopuzzle says:

I learned the computer by my hubby buying me EQ5 about 6 years ago…now I have updated to EQ6, I love the Quiltmaker designs to topstitch my designs…and I seldom need to buy patterns, but create my own.

5. CarynS says:

I have designed one quilt in EQ6. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the time to start it. I get to retire in a little more than 2 years and I can’t wait to play with it more.

6. I have the EQ software, but since I had to rebuild my computer I haven’t had time to re-install it. But I love using it and playing around with designs.

7. Ray says:

I love EQ and have gotten each upgrade since EQ3. I’m a serious user. I just wish I had time to make all the quilts that I’ve designed!!

8. Linda K says:

Haven’t tried it yet. I’m a beginner, but I’m guessing this too will be in my sewing room some day!!

9. Leanne L. says:

I use EQ a lot! I haven’t taken the time to learn everything it can do, but using the basic functions is very easy and fun!

10. dianne says:

i’d LIKE to say that i use EQ … but i don’t because this computer barely does email … maybe someday i will get a chance to graduate from tracing paper

11. Laura Tawney says:

No I do not have EQ but have thought about purchasing it.
    Laura T

12. Susan G says:

I don’t use it yet, but I asked Santa for it!
    Susan in NC

13. Nancy M says:

I use EQ so often to design quilts or check out how different fabrics will look that I don’t know what I would do without it!

14. Donna Joy says:

I have used EQ to design quilts and I just love all the possibilities it offers.

15. Cindy B says:

I’ve used EQ since EQ3! It’s a great quilt program. I use it almost daily for one quilty thing or another.

16. Cory says:

I use EQ occasionally to design quilts. Thank you for jogging my memory. I am making a quilt for a friend and need to create a layout and yardage requirements. Take care and God bless, Cory

17. gill says:

i don’t have EQ but i’d like to!!

18. Darlene B says:

I have used EQ in the past, but we recently had a computer hard drive crash, and I haven’t reinstalled yet in the new computer. I need to get back in the groove!

19. sheila says:

I asked for the program several years ago but have never had /dedicated the time to really learn it. I do occassionally open it up and use the block library.

20. Michelle R says:

Never tried EQ, but have been thinking about getting it.

21. Lynn S. says:

I do have EQ and have taken a class too. What I have been using it for is a platform to help me with printing templates from programs–like the Nearly Insane and Civil War Diary Quilt. I need to test the water with trying my own designs!

22. Sindy says:

I have been a fan of EQ since version 3. I absolutely love the program! All of my quilting designs are done in it.

23. Diane says:

I don’t have EQ yet but it’s definitely on my wish list! Love to go to Sindy Rodenmayer’s site Fat Cat Patterns ( and use her patterns that are designed with EQ! When I get that I know I’ll use it to try layouts and colors in advance and to try designing.

24. Lisa England says:

I started using EQ a few months ago. Still learning about all its capabilities. I know one thing though, you could spend days trying out different colorations and layouts. Faster than sewing them though!

25. Janelle says:

No, I have never tried EQ – maybe one day if I get into making big quilts!

26. Lisa N says:

I’ve never tried it, but it sure looks fun!

27. Loy says:

I have EQ, but I am just a beginner with it. I also have Quilt Design Wizard from the same company, and I have designed many quilts with it, but you cannot draw your own blocks.

28. Ruth B says:

I don’t have EQ but I would like to get it someday. I think it would be great fun!

29. arlette says:

I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m ready for the challenge

30. Jo says:

I have it, and used it to design my last quilt project, a wedding quilt my best buddy and I made for her son’s wedding. Long ago he was one of my fifth grade students! :) Jo

31. I have it, but I need to learn to use it. Someday…when I have time…maybe?

32. Katie B says:

I’ve never used it, but I really want to!!!

33. lisa says:

I don’t have EQ yet, it might go on my Birthday wish list, or next years Christmas list, this years already has too many things on it! I design my own quilts (so far three, two in the process of being made, the third if I win a contest at my local Ben Franklin then Ican buy the fabric to make) with graph paper, pencil, ruler, and a calculator. Thank you high school science lab notebooks! It works for now!

34. Beth says:

Yes, I use EQ and love the ability to change colors and settings!

35. Norma says:

I just got EQ a month ago and I love it!!! I’ve already designed a couple of quilts and a wall hanging

36. Nancy B says:

I’ve never tried EQ, although I probably should. LOL!