100 Blocks: Jungle Boogie Thoughts

I was running late designing my block. I had already seen the majority of the blocks that were going into the issue and I knew the insert pages were full–no applique, foundations or templates for me. I wanted to make a block that could have interesting settings, but would be simple to piece, and I’ve got a nephew graduating from high school next year, so I had been looking for fabric that I thought he might like.

Early one morning, with all those thoughts in mind, I started drawing on the steamed-up shower door and had my block planned out. Later I drew the block in Electric Quilt (side note: if you’re an EQ user, be sure to check out the ongoing QM/EQ design contest). Then I saw Brazilia from Hoffman Fabrics, which reminded me of the tropical shirts my nephew likes to wear.

With no rotation, Jungle Boogie blocks look like this sewn together:

QM100B JUNEsetting1 100 Blocks: Jungle Boogie Thoughts

Jungle Boogie Setting #1

Kinda fun how these blocks create their own sashing. If you like symmetry, you could repeat unit 1-C-D patches at the right and bottom to create an inner border effect.

By rotating the blocks, you get this:

QM100B JUNEsetting2 100 Blocks: Jungle Boogie Thoughts

Jungle Boogie Setting #2

The pinwheels form where the blocks join together in this setting.

TIP: If you use a stripe like I did, you’ll want to plan for how the stripe lays out before you cut the C, E and F patches.

Tell me, which setting do you like best? I’ll pick someone at random from the comments after 10 am MST on Tuesday morning 11/10 to win a 100 blocks issue.

And the winner is . . . #18 Pat! Congratulations!

Thanks everyone for playing along–I’ve enjoyed reading your comments. Claudia–I have more settings in EQ, but ran out of time to get more ready for this! This one is also fun to play with diagonal settings–and, of course, many varieties of colors too!

About June Dudley

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Quiltmaker magazine. I have enjoyed quilting for many years. And I love to collect fabric, thread, books and all things quilty. I especially like batiks, bright colors, florals, dots, stripes and anything purple or teal.

40 Responses to 100 Blocks: Jungle Boogie Thoughts

Setting #2. Setting #1 is too square. Good choice of fabrics for a young man going off to college who will never wash his quilt. Mom will get to do that at the end of the year. But??? With EQ, you only did 2 settings? I would still be playing. Thanks for my 2 cents.

2. Beth says:

I like number two best, but could also think number one is nice.

3. so we added chickens says:

I like #2. It has some great motion and more visual interest to me than #1. I especially like the tan ferns(?) with the two-part color which adds extra dimention

4. lisa says:

I liek #2 better, one seems sort of dull to me, but I can’t exactly explain what about it or why it doesn’t catch my attention as well as number 2!

5. Lisa England says:

I like setting #2 the best. That fabric really makes the pinwheels appear to spin.

6. Judy in SC says:

I really like setting #2. Guess I like the pinwheel look.

7. Melissa Velik says:

I like the number two setting!!

8. lisa lawton says:

I really like setting number two. The movement within the pinwheel design invites your eye to move to the other colors. There is always something new to discover when fabric is in motion.

9. I like setting #2 best. Good luck!

10. Jo Anne says:

They are both interesting, but today I will pick setting #2. I like the sense of movement made by the fabric in the pinwheels (is that a leaf print?). I also like how the turquoise fabrics come together.

11. Donna says:

Loved the #2 setting ~ ~ brings back all those Summer days of being a kid with the pinwheels !

12. Barbara says:

I’d choose layout #1 for a guy, but the pinwheel effect created by the fabrics you chose is great. My final choice of layout would depend upon the fabrics and the person getting the finished product.

13. Marcia says:

I like the 1st design best. It’s very contemporary looking and looks like something a young man might prefer to the more traditional look of the pinwheels. They are both cool quilts with the fabric you’ve used.

14. Glenda says:

I love your colors! Even more fun is the pattern of the pinwheels
    formed in the #2 setting. I think it shows off your beautiful fabric to better advantage.

15. June,

I like the second setting better — it brings out the fabrics perfectly!

16. Gretchen says:

I like the #2 the best because it creates a pinwheel effect. great block

17. Angela says:

I like #1 and love the fabrics…great color

18. Jenni says:

They are both nice and there are definite things that I like about them both but I think I like #2 the best – I agree the pinwheel just makes it “move”.

19. Susan Wood says:

I like number 1 for now. I actually played with your block a little myself. There are a ton of options!! Nice block!!

20. Lory says:

Both are cute, but I favor #2.

21. Sheila says:

They are both neat designs. I think #1 for a guys quilt and #2 for a girls quilt. :)

22. Annette says:

I like #2 because it shows more symetry and highlights the fabrics better, I think

23. Pat says:

Wow what a difference turning the piece makes. I love the pinwheels in setting #2.

24. Sequana says:

Oh, I do like those little pinwheels.

25. Susan says:

Setting #2 is my favorite! What a great block!

26. Linda S says:

I like the #2 because of the way the center gives the feeling of movement!

27. I love the second layout. I can’t imagine what one block looks like. It is a wonderful effect.
    ~a

28. Joanne Scott says:

I love the kaleidoscope effect of block #2.

29. Susan says:

I like #2 best! What a fun block to play with!

30. joan says:

Hands down block 2. You’ve given me and idea on how to set a block of the month quilt I am close to finishing. Thank you.

31. Cathy N says:

I love block #2! This is my 1st time on your site. Great site! All these give-aways — exciting!

32. Lisa says:

Tough call. I like them both. I think I’d pick #1 for a guy though. I just found your blog and will be hanging around :-)

33. Ssuan Denton says:

Fun block. I do like both settings, but I think #2 is my favorite. More layouts maybe?

34. Ellen says:

I like #1 – actually I like the nephew story and how family inspires quilts. I think that nephew has fabric purchased and a pattern ready to start cutting and sewing with his aunt at Christmas time :)

35. Lynn Hebert says:

I like #2 of the 2 choices. What fun it would be to play some more. Thanks.

36. I like setting #2, as I love the kaleidoscope effect. I can’t wait to get this issue, so would be a bonus to win.

37. cynthia says:

I like Jungle Boogie 2 the best but both are very nice. Love the other block samples too Thanks Cynthia

38. Terry says:

I like setting two with the rotation best, but they’re both lovely! :0)

39. For a male I like setting 1. Lots of emphasis on colour and lots of little busy movements happening. Just love the stripe effects. Of course your quilt will take on a new dimension when it is quilted.
    You know setting one is saying to me that it needs just a little flash of red :-) Have fun
    Cheers