Hop To It!

I had the pleasure of meeting Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts at International Quilt Market last fall in Houston.

edytasitar Hop To It!

What a delightful and extremely talented quilter! Not only does she design beautiful quilts, she also designs fabric for Moda Fabrics and her first book, Hop To It! has just been published by Landauer Publishing.

hoptoit Hop To It!

You can find the pattern for one of her quilts, Botanic Beauty, in our July/August ’09 issue, and we’ll be working with more of her designs in future issues.

Edyta has a unique knack for combining different types of fabrics in the same quilt—from batiks to traditional cottons. In an exclusive Quiltmaker interview with Edyta, I asked her if she would share her formula for choosing fabrics for her quilts. She replied “I choose my fabrics by using my ‘Rule of 5.’ The five refer to large, medium, small, stripe and dot prints. If you’d like to learn more about my method for choosing fabrics, I have included complete details of this process in my new book Hop To It!Read the complete interview. For information on ordering her book, contact Landauer Publishing at 800-557-2144, info@landauercorp.com, landauercorp.com.

We’re going to give away four copies of her new book. Just leave us a comment with your favorite quilting tip and we’ll randomly choose four lucky people on July 24th to receive a copy of Hop To It!

About Carolyn

I'm the Creative Editor for Quiltmaker magazine. I've been quilting for almost 30 years. I'm an avid quilter, but I also enjoy scrapbooking, knitting, reading, and hanging out with friends and family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hop To It!

1. sydney says:

Hot Sewing room. Can’t quite see where edges meet due to bottom of sewing machine being black when I use my acrylic sewing table. Don’t want to add another light. Place a piece of white paper under the sewing table, on top of the black bottom of the sewing machine. Things light up as if you are sewing on a light table. No extra heat so lots more sewing can be done.

2. Karen Rilstone says:

As an embroidery lover who has started creating quilts as homes for my work, I want to advise testing the embroideries on quilting fabric before completing all of them. I am always amazed at the differences in quilting cottons in terms of oomph so some cottons are too flimsy to hold the embroidery.

3. Ruthie says:

Hope it’s not too late to enter this drawing. Try clipping a magnetic chip-clip(like you put on your fridge) to your end table upside down. Then you can place your little scissors, needle and pins on the magnet.

4. Sue Cahill says:

Always use little scraps as a “leader” and a “trailer” when chain sewing. This prevents your fabric from getting sucked down and keeps your 1/4 inch seam consistant.

Sue Cahill (sbonetsue at yahoo dot com)

5. Pdot says:

I love the quilt, Botanic Beauty, and I would love to see more of her quilts. I love the idea of using different fabrics together. My favorite thing to do is to use dryer sheets that have been used in doing applique. Sew together, with right side of fabric against dryer sheet, trim to 1/8 th inch, then slit dryer sheet and turn and press. Makes a nice flat applique.

6. susan rizzi says:

I always use a light gray thread for sewing – blends with everything in a scrappy quilt. I like the “Rule of 5″ and will have to try it.
    Susan R.

7. Deb says:

How nice to hear about someone from Marshall, MI. As a former Michigan resident I’m familiar with the quaint town. I have hardwood floors in my sewing room, so I put my cutting mat on the floor and kneel, using knee pads, to cut quilt pieces. I can put my knee on the end of a long ruler to prevent slipping, and fabric does not drag or slide off the edge of a table.

8. Lori says:

Every quilter needs to remember there is no right or wrong way to do anything. If it works for you then that’s the right way. Relax and enjoy the process of quiltmaking.
    I can’t wait to see the book!

9. Wanda Myers says:

When doing needle turn applique, I use Prismacolor pencils to mark around my freezer paper so that I know where to turn under my fabric. Works like a charm! Love the quilt on the cover of “Hop To It”

10. Jill says:

Take a photo of your design wall when things are in the right place so if you have a problem later you have the photo. Love the great applique by Edyta.

11. This is more on how to organize your sewing room than a quilt tip. I use the plastic sheet protectors for my patterns and I keep them in notebooks. And when using the pattern, it protects the pattern from spills.

12. Cory says:

My favorite quilting tip is that is you can’t see it on galloping horse, the mistake may not be worth fixing. :-) Just kidding. Relax and enjoy the whole process, don’t make quilting into a chore. Take care and God bless, Cory

13. Janice Bryant says:

The quilt on the cover is beautiful.
    My favorite tip is to is to always make sure I close my rotary cutter atfer each cut. It was hard to get use too at first when you are cutting a bunch of strips. But safety first is my mantra.

14. Carole Lakomec says:

I love her work. I am presently doing her Applique Affair and it’s beautiful.

15. I like to bring my digital camera with me to quilting classes. I can take pictures of the steps in the construction of my new project. When working on the project at home, it’s helpful to look at the photos if I need help.

16. Lynn Vogel Turbes says:

Isn’t it wonderful to have your hobby and passion a part of your job? I have always felt very fortunate to be able to work with fabric and get paid for it! I can’t wait to see the new book!