Strawberry Pie Wars, Part 1

We had a baby shower here at the office yesterday for a member of our online team and his wife, and everyone brought a dessert to share. I brought one of my favorite summer desserts—Frozen Fluffy Strawberry Pie. As we were standing in line filling up our plates, June commented that she thought she had a better recipe for Strawberry Pie. Hmmm, this sounds like a challenge to me. We’ll let you be the judge! Here’s my recipe:

Frozen Fluffy Strawberry Pie

Combine the following 4 ingredients in a food processor:
3 oz. cream cheese
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Fold into mixture:
1 cup Cool Whip

Pour mixture into prepared graham cracker crust. Freeze 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with strawberries if desired.

strawberrypiewhole2 Strawberry Pie Wars, Part 1

June will post her recipe in a later blog. Do you have a recipe for strawberry pie that you love? Send us your favorite strawberry pie and the QM Test Kitchen will determine our favorite. No, seriously, post your favorite recipe. We’ll randomly select four names to receive a set of fat quarters from the fun, summery Wildwood collection by Erin McMorris for FreeSpirit.

erinmcmorriswildwood Strawberry Pie Wars, Part 1

Wildwood by Erin McMorris for FreeSpirit

We’ll select four names at noon mountain time on Monday, 7/6. Oh, and let us know which of our recipes is your favorite.

About Carolyn

I'm the Creative Editor for Quiltmaker magazine. I've been quilting for almost 30 years. I'm an avid quilter, but I also enjoy scrapbooking, knitting, reading, and hanging out with friends and family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Strawberry Pie Wars, Part 1

1. michael says:

Looks delicious! :) love strawberry anything this time of year!

Check out my favorite strawberry pie recipe!
    Michael

2. Liz in Houston says:

Frozen Fluffy Strawberry Pie by Carolyn posted on the 18th has been made by me 2 times thusfar and my guests have devoured it then demanded the recipe! It is soooooo easy to make. Definitely using fresh strawberries gives it the best flavor.

3. Deb says:

ok, here’s the easiest pie
    Strawberry Peach Pie

1 ready made graham crust
    1 1/2 pints of fresh strawberries
    2 ripe peaches (3 if small)
    1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar
    1 small package of vanilla instant pudding mix
    1 1/2 cups cold milk
    whipped cream

Make the pudding per the box using 1 1/2 cups cold milk. Pour into the crust and chill for 2 hours, or until it firms.
    About 1 hour before serving, cut the berries into bite sized pieces. Place in a bowl with the sugar. (start with 1/8 cup and add more to taste after some juice forms). you want to leave the berries long enough to produce juice.
    Now peel the peaches and cut about the same size. I usually make long slices from the stem end down all around the peeled peach. Then I make 2 slices around the middle before removing the pit, addd to the berries.
    When ready to serve, top the pudding with the fruit and add the whipped cream.

If you will not eat the whole pie, you can keep it better by adding the fruit to each serving instead of the whole pie.

4. Marcia says:

The Paula comment was supposed to be deleted. Sent to friend and forgot to remove that item. Sorry about that.

5. Marcia says:

STRAWBERRY PIE

Crust:

1 stick butter, melted
    1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup sugar

Mix the three ingredients together, press into the bottom and sides of a greased pie plate, and bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes. Paula, for your baby, you can grind 1-1/2 cups almonds or hazelnuts (filberts) and use them in place of the cracker crumbs. Voila! Gluten free for Paula!

Filling:

1 quart strawberries
    1 cup sugar
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup water
    1 tbsp butter
    3 ounces cream cheese

Choose the best 25 to 30 strawberries and set them aside. Puree the balance, and cook in a sauce pan with the sugar. When it boils, make a paste of the water and cornstarch, and whisk them in; cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture thickens and becomes clear. Remove from the heat, whisk in the butter, and let it cool.

In your food processor, cut the cream cheese into chunks, add 1 tbsp of the cooled strawberry mixture, and pulse until they are combined and smooth. Spread this in the bottom of the pie shell; it will be a thin layer. Hull the strawberries, and stand them, large end down, in the cream cheese mix. Spoon the cooled filling over them, and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with whipped cream on top.
    Takes a bit of time, but it is well worth the wait!!!

6. Debbie says:

These recipes sound great and I think they are just the recipes I have been looking for for ages- I wanted a recipe that was pie-like but the fresh berry was still featured. Thank you!

7. Jennifer Isaki says:

My Favorite Strawberry Pie Recipe

1 9inch pie crust, baked
    1 quart strawberries
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 cup ginger ale

In a large pot, mash about 1/4 of the strawberries. Add remaining strawberries and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for about three minutes.
    In a small bowl, gradually whisk together cornstarch and ginger ale. Gradually add to strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Pour into pie crust and chill for several hours. Serve with whipped cream and chardonnay. Eat while quilting.

8. tracy hansen says:

what is ‘cool whip’ and ‘grraham crackers’ ???? please……. I’m drooling !!!!!!

9. janan doster says:

Here is my recipe:
    Crust: 1 stick melted Blue Bonnet butter
    1 cup plain flour
    1 cup chopped pecans
    Mix these 3 together. Lightly spray Pam non-stick into a 9×13 pyrex dish. Put these 3 mixed ingredients in this pyrex dish. Brown in 350 oven until light brown. Cool.
    Wash and slice fresh strawberries. Layer the strawberries on top of the crust.
    Then mix together 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1 small container coo whip. Layer this on top of strawberries. Chill overnight.
    Enjoy!!!!!!

10. Pingback: Strawberry Pie Wars, Part 2 | Quilty Pleasures Blog

11. Deb (a different one) says:

Deb–your strawberry peach pie recipe sounds wonderful, combining two of my favorite fruits. Would you please share it? Thanks!

12. Wanda says:

Kathy, I would like to have your recipe for Strawberry Shortcake. Please share. Thanks.

13. Michele says:

My favorite strawberry pie recipe is made with marshmallow creme:
    1 graham cracker pie crust
    1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced (make sure they are drained well)
    1 small jar marshmallow creme
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 12 oz Cool Whip
    red food coloring
    Melt marshmallow creme and milk over low heat, just until melted. Take off burner and allow to cool. Add a few drops of red food coloring and Cool Whip mix well, than add sliced srawberries. Pour in graham cracker crust and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Slice and enjoy.

14. Deb says:

can it be a strawberry peach pie?

1sm

15. Kim says:

Ha……I live on Wildwood Drive :0)….I certainly will have to get that collection!
    I like my strawberries without sugar…..just plain or in a smoothie with yogurt……it is that time of year again!
    Happy sewing

16. kathy says:

This is not a pie but a “knock your socks off” Strawberry Shortcake recipe that EVERYONE wants the recipe to when I take it to a party or serve it at home to guests. I have won many a recipe contest with this one. Shall I send it to you?

17. SHIRLEY MARVIN says:

My favorite Strawberry pie recipet….
    Have my husband take me to Big Boy’s—-they have the best and easy on a HOT day. :-}

18. SewLindaAnn says:

I decided to submit the bread recipe I make for my family, the only one my son will eat (besides italian bread, well and bagels) Anyway, I thought I would be the 2nd person to send my favorite recipe that’s not strawberry pie:

Works in breadmaker to mix:
    1 egg
    3/4 cup water
    2T margarine or butter
    2T sugar
    2t salt
    3 cups bread flour
    3T milk powder (regular or buttermilk)
    2t bread machine yeast

Let the breadmaker work it’s magic to mix the dough and rise. I use a pullman pan with a lid, grease it. Take the dough out and knead for a minute and put it in the pan in the drawer of the oven while it pre-heats to 365. I put the lid on the pan, cook for 30 minutes and I have the best tasting loaf of bread that’s easy to cut, toast, or grill with some margarine in a pan to make awesome sandwiches. Enjoy!!

19. Sherry Salter says:

Strawberry Pie

1 pint of fresh strawberries (washed and cut in to pieces,drain well) Defrosted frozen berries can also be used when berries are not in season.
    1 can of condense milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice ( bottled or fresh )
    1 small container of Cool Whipped
    1 large cookie crust (graham or vanilla wafer)

Mix condense milk and lemon juice until starts to firm; add Cool
    Whip, mix well. Stir in strawberries. Pour into cookie crust. Chill until ready to serve.

20. Connie Douty says:

Strawberry Pie Recipe
    1 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    1 (3 oz) pkg strawberry Jello
    Mix the above ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil until just thick.
    Place 1 qt or more fresh sliced strawberries in graham cracker crust and pur cooled but not firm liquid over strawberries.
    Place in refrigerator to cool and set. Serve with whipped cream.

21. Angie Nudge says:

Can’t wait to try all these recipes. Here’s a family favorite:
    Refrigerator Strawberry Pie
    Combine:
    1 ¾ cup of hot water and one 3 oz package of Jello – Strawberry flavor. Stir until dissolved. Add an 8 oz package of frozen strawberries, and stir until the strawberries have separated and the juice dissolved. While you are doing this, let a pint of vanilla ice cream and an 8 oz container of whipped topping soften.
    Stir in the ice cream into the mixture until it melts. It will be getting thicker. Now fold in the whipped topping, and pour into a 9” pie crust already baked. Chill for 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serves 8.

22. Peg Spradlin says:

Whoops, I didn’t read very closely, did I? You want a strawberry pie recipe, and I don’t have one of those- but the cookies are still very good. (Is there any way to delete a comment)

23. Pat Young says:

All the recipes sound wonderful. Cant wait to try some of them. Here’s one of my favorites: 7UP Strawberry Pie
    5 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 large bottle 7_Up add enough water to make 2 1/4 cups
    1 baked pie shell
    Fresh strawberries
    Red food coloring
    Cool Whip

Cook cornstarch, sugar, and 7UP mixed with water, over low heat until thick and clear. Add red food coloring to your liking, cool. Pour half into pie shell; add strawberries. Pour remaining mixture over. Top with Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice, serve, enjoy.

24. Ann Champion says:

Recipe for Strawberry Pie
    one pie shell
    1c sugar
    1/4c cornstarch
    dash of salt
    1 1/2c water
    1 small package strawberry gelatin
    1 quart strawberries, sliced

Bake and cool one pie shell that has been pricked with the tines of a fork on the bottom and sides (to prevent bubbling). Frozen is fine..or use your favorite dough recipe.
    Set aside. Mix together in pan sugar, corn starch, and salt. Add water and bring to boil. Boil until clear.Add package of strawberry gelatin and stir well. Let set until cool and slightly thickened. Add strawberries. Pour into cooled pie shell and chill. Serve with whipped topping.

25. Jan in TN says:

Here is my favorite Strawberry Pie Recipe:

1 qt. fresh strawberries ½ tsp. almond flavoring
    1 cup sugar 3 Tblsp. corn starch
    ½ cup water 2 Tblsp butter

Wash and cut up enough strawberries to fill a measuring 1 cup when crushed.
    Add cornstarch to 1/2 cups water. Combine the crushed strawberries, cornstarch mixture, and sugar; cook, stirring constantly until thick and clear. Add the butter and almond extract; set aside to cool.

Wash and slice the remaining strawberries into a baked 9” pie shell.
    Pour the cooled mixture over strawberries and refrigerate.

This recipe is easily modified for peach or blueberrie pie:

For peach, use 5-6 large peaches, 9” pie shell.
    For blueberry, use 2 pints, 10” pie crust and 1½ times sauce.

26. Peg Spradlin says:

Yours looks really easy, Carolyn, which is a big plus. And sounds cool and refreshing which sounds really good now that our temps have taken a turn for the hot and humid.
    My favorite recipe- No bake cookies
    Bring 2 cups sugar, 5 Tbls baking cocoa, 1/2 cup stick margarine, and 1/2 cup milk to a hard boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 3 cups oatmeal, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1 cup shredded cocoanut. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper. It’s a Thummel family favorite- just ask Trese.

27. Carolyn says:

Make sure you bring it into the office, so we can do our taste test!

28. June says:

I’ll make mine this weekend . . . recipe by Monday!