Opinions, please.

I’m currently working on a graduation quilt for my niece. A while back I gave her a Hancocks of Paducah catalog and asked her to pick out some fabrics she liked. She marked several pages, and they were almost all Kaffe Fasset big colorful florals and geometrics. I wanted to make a scrappy quilt, but I didn’t have very many of those in my stash. Diane Harris, QM Associate Editor, collects those type of prints, so I asked her to swap with me and she did–thanks Diane!

I decided on a Lone Star design, and am using QuiltSmart printed interfacing to piece the diamond units. I love this product! The patch cutting is quick because it’s just rectangles, and the piecing is virtually foolproof.

But I need your opinion about this fabric.

fabric for lonestar Opinions, please.

At first I  fussy-cut it so that the yellow squares would be centered in the diamonds, and pieced it into a diamond unit.

lonestar section1 Opinions, please.

Unit 1

But then I thought it might look like a bunch of demonic eyes looking out of the center of the quilt, so I fussy-cut some more, avoiding those yellow squares completely, and pieced a couple more sections.

lonestar section3 Opinions, please.

Unit 2

Then, in Photoshop, I duplicated a picture  of each section and rotated it to simulate the finished star. Which way do you like better?

lonestar1blog Opinions, please.

Lone Star 1

lonestar2blog Opinions, please.

Lone Star 2

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Opinions, please.

1. Pingback: It is Finished | Quilty Pleasures Blog

2. Pingback: Update | Quilty Pleasures Blog

3. Theresa says:

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions! So it unanimous, the ‘eyes’ have it. I will definitely post a picture of the finished quilt (hopefully this summer before she heads to college!) Stay tuned to see what I’m using for the big background squares in this colorful Lone Star…

4. Kim says:

number one is more interesting to me…..either way its a beauty!
    What a great gift :0)

5. Sam Quigley says:

I like both…what a beautiful quilt! I hope you will post the finished quilt for us.

6. I’m with the majority. I love the demon eyes. Maybe you should just think of it as all of you “keeping your eye on her”.

7. Mary Johnson says:

I like version one too — the stripes on the 2nd version are too similar to the center fabric for me.

8. susan rizzi says:

I like the first lonestar better. They don’t look like eyes to me and I don’t like the stripes going in the same direction on both of the rounds.

9. Jo says:

The ‘eye’ appearance reduced once the star was pieced. Did you consider cutting the ‘eye’ fabric more on the bias so the stripes in the fabric are at an angle instead of straight ? But that might fight with the stripes in the fabrics on either side…. so many choices, so little time. Aloha, Jo

10. Carolyn says:

I agree with the “eyes.” I like that one best!

11. I’d have to say scrap both! I’m too lazy to fussy cut so I would just let it happen however it happened! You have one lucky niece!

12. Terry says:

I agree…go with the yellow spots! :0)

13. robin says:

Number one lonestar is the best. The yellow seems to “burst” the star and gives some punch to the overall effect of the design.

14. dhstitches says:

I love the one with the “eyes”!

15. amy says:

I like the first one. The second one makes my head spin with that center! I like the effect of the fussy cut purple.

16. LouAnn says:

My vote is Lone Star 1. It gives much more darma and a spot to rest your eyes.

17. Peg Spradlin says:

I used some of that printed interfacing to make New York Beauty blocks and it is a very fast way to piece fussy patterns. Just make sure the printed interfacing is pattern is squared up. Mine were a bit distorted and the seams didn’t come together and match perfectly.

18. June says:

I don’t know that I’d call them “demonic eyes” but I like the yellow squares–just a bit more interest in an already busy design!

19. Peg Spradlin says:

I agree, the “demonic eyes” have it.

20. AnaCabrera says:

I have to say, personally… I like the demonic eyes. lol. I like it WITH the yellow center.