Miniature Quilts Revisited

Many years ago I was fascinated by miniature quilts (miniature being 10”-12” quilts) and made a lot of them. They appealed to me for many reasons, but the main reason was the sense of accomplishment at having something completed in a relatively short period of time. And with three small children, that was no simple feat.

I’ve been drawn to them again, and it seems I’m not the only one. I’ve seen patterns for miniature quilts popping up a lot lately by many different designers. Most of these quilts are not as small as I used to make them, but I’m over that now and 1” increments in a block are fine with me.

I looked through some back issues of Quiltmaker for inspiration and was drawn to Birds in Flight in QM Sept/Oct ’00. The main block is a simple Four Patch that finishes at 6”. Using 1” increments would make a 2” block – perfect size for me to work with.

qmbirdsinflightpage11 Miniature Quilts Revisited

Birds in Flight

I’m using pink and brown scraps left over from Raspberry Truffles, in our May/June ’09 issue and decided on a 16” x 20” wall quilt (8 x 10 block setting in a barn raising arrangement) to hang above the bed.

birds in flight blocks2 Miniature Quilts Revisited

2 of my blocks

The top is pieced and thinking this would make a great take-along project, I’m going to hand quilt it – something else I haven’t done for years.

quilt top1 Miniature Quilts Revisited

my quilt top

I’ll post a picture when it’s done – just don’t look too closely at my stitches; I’m a little rusty.

Are you interested in seeing patterns for miniature quilts in Quiltmaker? Post a comment and let me know what you think. If you’d like more information about this quilt, post that here as well. I’d be happy to help.

About Carolyn

I'm the Creative Editor for Quiltmaker magazine. I've been quilting for almost 30 years. I'm an avid quilter, but I also enjoy scrapbooking, knitting, reading, and hanging out with friends and family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Miniature Quilts Revisited

1. Laura says:

Carolyn,
    I know exactly what you mean! I have made lots of big quilts and I have many more to make as I just built a new 6 bedroom retirement home but sometimes you just need a little bit of accomplishment euphoria. The mini quilts can give you that little buzz that you need sometime to refresh you and get you excited again. I would love to see more mini’s in your magazine.

2. cynthia says:

I would love to see more mini’s once again. I found this site while pouring thru the miniature quilt sites. Looking forward so seeing more challenging patterns for mini’s in the traditional books. Losing Miniature Quilts was like losing a good friend.

3. Phyllis says:

I would love to see more miniature quilt patterns. I too used to subscribe to the Miniature quilt magazine.

4. Janice L. Graziano says:

I do so miss the Miniature Quilts Magazine (Chiantra Publications) and our Miniature Quilt Club was almost heartbroken when it folded. There is a huge gap in this area of quilting – both patterns for quilts and miniature quilting designs. Would really appreciate all of my favorite quilting magazines publishing more miniature quilt patterns – template based, foundation pieced, applique (now that is something you rarely see) both machine and hand sewn, and also ideas in to the area of miniature art quilts. Thanks for listening. Jan

5. Erin says:

I would love to see more miniature quilt designs and ideas – something like those done by Kathie Radcliff out of Waterford VA. 8X8 inches, etc Awesome!

6. As a miniature doll quilt maker, I would, of course, love to see more miniature quilts displayed. One of the things I love about them is how many display options are available for miniatures. One of the current challenges I’ve given to myself is creating new projects (notepads, wristlets, . . .) that display them. I’m posting results on my blog.

7. Pingback: Quilted and Framed — Quilty Pleasures Blog

8. Peg Spradlin says:

I’d love to see miniature quilt patterns in the magazine. I haven’t done that much but love the concept and could use all the tips and techniques you could give.
    I saved the small triangles from a stitch and flip project and planned to make something miniature out of them so your posting is inspiration.

9. Love the pink and brown quilt, Carolyn. I think prolific is your middle name. BTW, the banner with all of the Quiltmaker team bouncing balls is a hoot! Love it too!